Vila Mangart Hostel

Bled, Slovenia

Great staff, willing to go the distance to please customers (i.e. no printer at the villa so had their son print our flight tickets at their home). Villa is a good 20 min walk along a busy street with no sidewalks ... dangerous during the day, even more dangerous at night (for this reason I would probably not stay there again, unless of course you have vehicle transportation).

Istanbul Harmony Hostel

Istanbul, Turkey

My friend and I stayed here in August 2013. We paid extra for an AC room, unfortunately it did not work so we had to move rooms 2 nights into our stay. Staff was very friendly and welcoming - as we arrived at the hostel a complimentary apple tea was awaiting us at the rooftop bar. Great location - 5 minute walk to Haga Sophia/Blue Mosque, directly on streetcar route, 10 min walk to the beach.

My friend and I stayed here only for 1 night as we were just passing through Austria, if we had more time we definitely would have extended our stay. Great place to meet other young travellers - large common area with lots of seating along with a bar in the basement. Staff was great and very knowledgeable when it came to getting around and must-see sites (for only having 24 hours in the city). Good laundry facilities (if you can score them before other travellers!).

Tiger Tim's Place Privates

Budapest, Hungary

We stayed in the private 2 bedroom dorm-style accommodation. It is a 5 minute walk from the main hostel. Private dorm was clean, bedsheets and towels were provided, the hostel owner only allowed the AC to be on at night (awful in 40+ degree weather), good location, welcoming staff. Definitely recommend attending a Sparty (Spa+party) if there is one while you're in Budapest!

Alias Youthhostel

Antwerp, Belgium

My 3 friends and I stayed here during Tomorrowland 2013. Great location, welcoming staff, fun atmosphere to meet other young travellers. Unfortunately I lost my cell phone at the music festival- the hostel staff helped me contact the festival's lost and found along with local police to try and recover it. Even after we checked out, the staff member was still e-mailing me with updates regarding my phone. Even though it was never found, the effort was greatly appreciated!

Bodega Phuket

Phuket, Thailand

Chunut House Resort

Koh Phi Phi, Thailand

A little bit of a hike to this accommodation from the ferry port (especially with large backpacks). Nice, quiet "resort" - small straw houses, good AC, clean facilities, great location close to the beach (10 min walk). Difficult to meet other travellers staying here as there is no common area ... but just head to any of the beach bars, tons of people to meet there. Definitely one of my favourite islands in Thailand!

Ringside

Koh Phangan, Thailand

Stayed here for the full moon party in Nov 2012. Overall it was a great experience - good place to meet lots of international travellers, clean facilities, good AC in 4 bedroom dorm, lots of restaurants around hostel. Not much privacy if staying in the largest room (no privacy at all, people constantly walking thru to get to the upstairs dorm rooms). Hostel owners were great, very personable and down-to-earth people (even joined in on some beer pong games).

Nomads Coral Grand Koh Tao

Koh Tao, Thailand

Great location, directly on the beach (5 min walk from dorm room door to beach), a bar and restaurant located on the property, lockers are provided in the dorm room, good AC. Only complaints are that the dorm room is somewhat outdated and washroom is not the cleanest (located outside.... lots of spiders).

Lub d Bangkok Siam Square

Bangkok, Thailand

2 of my friends and I stayed here in Dec 2012. Overall it was a great experience - outgoing staff, clean facilities, and good atmosphere to meet other young travellers. We had some difficulty finding the hostel (arrived at night and not many people spoke english along the way). Just watch out for people trying to scam you! (i.e. tuktuks bringing you to restaurants for a cheap amount and then the restaurant overcharging you on everything).