Cat and Moose Backpackers Lodge

Cape Town, South Africa

Awesome location, decent rooms. Only complaint was one of the older staffers (Eastern European accent) was not very helpful. Asked for directions in the morning after checking in he gave me very vague and essentially useless directions/advice. Ended up asking a cabbie who contradicted much of what he told me and was a lot more helpful.

4T's Tarven

Dar es Salaam, Tanzania

Family-run place. Pros: free cooked dinner, decor, TV, felt like home, AC (that worked). Cons: 10-year old daughter only person available for any questions, AC didn't work in living room, no channels on TV, guard collected money in the morning, unsure of laundry prices until morning. All in all it's good if you want to a few days to a casual place to relax in comfort and just lounge.

thanks for your comment, unfortunately maids speaks little english

Staff was very helpful. Guy at the desk helped me order food and even brought the food to my room even though I checked in after 2am. Only negative was the shower. Nearly impossible to set a luke warm temperature and shower had no water pressure.

Stayed at Blue Mountain on the Bund and was expecting similar level of cleanliness and upkeep but bathroom was moldy and shower flooded and room had a dingy look overall.

Have stayed here on two other occasions and had no issues. However this time around I was woken up both mornings around 7am by the housekeeping staff yelling in the hallway, was unable to get consistent internet access and little to no effort was made to resolve the problem, and was given the wrong directions when heading out to the French Concession.

The Mad Monkey

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Only downside was were placed in a room right above the main bar which made it impossible to nap/sleep anytime outside of 11pm-8am. Also room was pretty dirty but I think it was just that one, others looked clean.

The Siem Reap Hostel

Siem Reap, Cambodia

Had a great stay but did return one afternoon to find one of the housekeeping staff going through our pics in our camera.

Hi, I have spoken to our staff member responsible. He tells me he has 'dreams of being a photographer'... As he is now our maintenance man and the Hostel is part funding his way through trades school I have instructed him to focus more on his current studies. If he hadn't already proved himself as a thoroughly trustworthy young chap his position here would be tenuous indeed. As it is, I believe it was a naive enough error which he has promised not to repeat. His behaviour was out of line - for which I sincerely apologise, but I'm certain it will not recur. Glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again someday. Gus, Co- Manager.

Little Hanoi Hostel

Hanoi, Vietnam

Staffer working behind the desk was very nice but not very helpful. Not sure if he's the regular guy because we stayed during the Lunar New Year. Had to go next door because he was unable to help us book a Halong Bay Tour and he never mentioned that you must order the free breakfast every morning so we were under the impression that we only got the coffee, tea, and fruit placed out every morning.

MNL Boutique Hostel

Manila, Philippines

Staff was wonderful, very nice and accommodating from start to finish. However hostel is located on beside a semi-busy street and you can hear everything at night. Was using earplugs and still only managed to get a couple hours of sleep.