Terrazas Estoril

Buenos Aires, Argentina

The hype is real--this place is great. Beautiful building and rooftop, central location, knowledgeable and friendly staff, good people to meet. Wifi is good in the living room, spotty in the rooms. Shower is the best I had in South America.

Marcopolo Inn Iguazu

Puerto Iguazu, Argentina

Helpful staff, good atmosphere, nice outdoor space, big lockers. Bathrooms were not terribly clean and showers were lukewarm. Not great wifi, not surprising given the size of the town. Location really is perfect.

Hostal CasArte Takubamba

Sucre, Bolivia

Lovely converted home, cool art all over, great little kitchen garden. Best breakfast I've had in three months in South America--eggs! fruit! fresh juice! Usually decent wifi. Super hot showers, once they warm up. The guys in the morning are the most knowledgeable staff, the evening staff isn't as reliable. A little walk to the center, but only a problem when walking home at night.

El Curichal Hostel

Rurrenabaque, Bolivia

Filthy toilet, my bed wasn't ready although I arrived hours after check-in time started, they're re-doing the patio area so it wasn't a great place to hang out. But it was cheap and I stored my luggage while I was in the jungle, so it was all right.

Wild Rover Backpackers

La Paz, Bolivia

It's a party hostel, you know that, so going from there: Remarkably clean for a party hostel, decent food, friendly staff, beds are pretty comfortable, showers are strong and hot. Wifi is not great. Toilets reduced in number right now due to construction.

Atawkama Hostel

Cusco, Peru

I stayed for ages, weathering the construction as they updated many of the rooms. The staff are lovely, there are lots of great people to meet, the wifi is decent, the courtyard charming. Tiny but usable kitchen. Easy walk to the center. Two major problems: 1) the rooms are absolutely freezing at night and no number of blankets helps; heaters would be beneficial; and 2) when the hot water was working, the showers were great, but the hot water was not reliable, especially in the evening.

Samana Wasi Arequipa

Arequipa, Peru

Definitely worth the few extra soles to get my own, comfortable room with private bath there. It's more like a guesthouse than a hostel, in terms of meeting people. The courtyard is pleasant, and wifi is good in the living room and even ok in my third-floor room. Great views from the rooftop. Easy walk to all the attractions. Best of all, the mother and daughter running the place are the sweetest--they even shared their meal with me as it was my birthday when I stayed there.

Friendly AQP

Arequipa, Peru

A well-run hostel, if a bit impersonal. Really helpful front desk staff when booking tours, getting laundry washed, etc. I like the privacy curtains on the beds. Wifi was really touch and go. Showers were decent but shelves in there would be helpful.

The family running Ichthus is super sweet, and very eager to help. There are a few things missing, like lockers to store things securely and fans in the rooms (which can get a bit hot). Be aware that when they charge you for the tours, the price does not include entrance to the national reserve. It's still a great price, just bring money on the tour. Breakfast costs extra but was a nice fruit and bread combo. Pleasant courtyard to socialize in.

Manso Boutique Guesthouse

Guayaquil, Ecuador

As you can tell by the name, it’s more of a hotel than a hostel, so there’s no common area, just their (tasty) restaurant. But the A/C in the rooms, the super friendly bilingual staff (only place in Ecuador where they gave me a bus schedule brochure, so helpful), the closeness to all the tourist attractions, makes it a great place to stay in Guayaquil.

Viejamar Surf Hostel

Puerto Lopez, Ecuador

The most relaxing place on my trip, with the loveliest view. Nice set-up at the beach, small pool, viewing balcony, equipped kitchen. When the wifi’s working, it’s great. It’s not so fun to take a bus to town for groceries and laundry, but otherwise location is perfect. I enjoyed the barbecues we had and my dinners at La Leona down the beach. I didn’t need the mosquito net at night, and it’s much cooler without.

• 9th Mar 2014

Manso Boutique Guesthouse

Guayaquil, Ecuador

Great staff, good lunch, perfect location, decent wifi. The A/C in the room is great, too bad they don't have it in the cafe/common area.

Alternative Hostels

Cuenca, Ecuador

Nice staff, great shower, wifi was ok. Setup of the building meant it could be a bit noisy at night when the tv was on. 20 minutes from the old town but right across the street from the best museum in town.

La Casa de Cecilia

Mindo, Ecuador

A higgledy-piggledy construction of a building, but charming. My private room had a mosquito net and one outlet, basic but all I needed. The 2nd-floor porch strung with hammocks was a great place to hang out and meet people, as was the patio down by the river. Nice, affordable breakfast (if you're going to the cascades, pocket one of the bread rolls as there's no food or water available for purchase at the park). Good wifi. Babylonia down the street had delicious trout--no dinner at the hostel.

• 24th Feb 2014

Travellers Inn

Quito, Ecuador

Decent little room, wifi a bit in and out, ok shower. Easy to walk to La Mariscal, though best to take a cab back at night. They let me check in early, which was nice. Probably still a little pricy for what it is, but a solid choice if you're in Quito for a few nights.

• 22nd Feb 2014

HI-Toronto

Toronto, Canada

Great staff, nice bar downstairs, pretty good common room, good wifi, lots of activities you can arrange through the hostel. Squeaky beds and the bathroom floors get dirty quickly, but otherwise all good.

Thank you so much for your feedback, Lisa - it looks like you really enjoyed your stay. We know washrooms can get pretty busy now in the summer, and although we do not have 24/7 housekeeping, we do have 24/7 front desk staff that does rounds on common washrooms, and is always happy to go up there and make it better when necessary - so guests are welcome to bring up their concerns to the staff and we will get on it right away! Safe travels!

Emerald Hostel Budapest

Budapest, Hungary

Nice, quiet place to stay for a night. The wifi didn't work so great. I was moved to a hostel down the street; I think they don't do private rooms at the Emerald.

hello, thank you for the comment. if many people use the wifi, it can slow down. we have more buildings, and only private room except one dorm. you also booked private room, you were given private room -so we believe we do private rooms in here

Greg & Tom Hostel

Krakow, Poland

No bunks, common room and kitchen, and free dinner! They really do provide good, free dinner every night. Very friendly staff, really went to lengths to help me out on my transportation plans and my nights out. I hate to mention it, but the room I was in did have bedbugs while I was there. They responded immediately to clear them out, but I still got bedbugs that came with me to my next destination. So a lower cleanliness score for that, although everything was pretty spotless.

Comebackpackers

Berlin, Germany

You get what you pay for: a laid-back party hostel. It was highly unfortunate that ants crawled all over me as soon as I sat down on the couch in the common room, but the bedroom was clean. Nice staff. Pretty good wifi.

Jetpak Jumpdesk

Berlin, Germany

Hardly flashpacking. The famous cleanliness never made it to the room I stayed in or (most disgustingly) the bathroom. There was no common space so it was hard to meet people. It was pretty noisy. Friendly staff, but the woman who checked me in didn't understand how the credit card machine or the in-room lockers worked. Bad wifi. Wouldn't recommend.

Buzz Hostel

Zagreb, Croatia

Pretty easy to find, nice terrace on the first floor. Good wifi and nice little kitchen. Some of the staff are nice & helpful, but one guy in particular offered no info and didn't even give me a map & orientation when I checked in. It advertises as being 24/7, but no one was there when I arrived at 8pm, and they all left early the next day too, even though people had questions about ongoing travel. My dorm room needed A/C.

The Wild Fig Hostel

Zadar, Croatia

Lovingly decorated hostel, friendly staff, plenty of common area space. Small lockers for valuables, provide your own key. Lots of advice on what to do in the area. The ride to Plitvice wasn't worth the price, I'd just take the bus next time. The hostel is near a grocery & the bus station, so that's good, but it's a little bit of a walk to the old town, which is fine on a nice day, but you might want a 40 kuna taxi back. Very social hostel, not a good place if you're looking for peace & quiet.

Globo Hostel

Sibenik, Croatia

Having toilets down a flight of stairs from the bedroom is annoying. The wifi didn't seem to work in the common area, and there were about 2 plugs in the dorms (where the wifi did work), so computer time was tricky. Being right by the bus station is convenient for coming & going, but it does mean it's loud late at night and early morning. Nice staff, and I liked the Krka taxi ride arranged with them. If you go to Nostalgija, try the meat and potatoes "salad"--tasty!

Small, clean place, lovely staff. Tiniest kitchen I've ever seen and no common room to speak of (I think there's an off-location hangout spot, but staff never mentioned it). Still, crammed around the kitchen table, we got to know one another. Solid beds, weirdly placed ladders that made getting in the bottom bunk difficult. Large lockers. Right near everything in town. The directions aren't great--go down the small steps just before the palm tree, then left on the first road you see.

Villa Divine

Dubrovnik, Croatia

One of the top hostels I've been to during my nine months of traveling. Friendliest staff, nicest balcony view, cleanest digs, yummiest and most extensive breakfast. They have good wifi, comfy beds, and a good shower. Don't for a second let the location deter you--it's a short bus ride to the old town, buses run til midnight, and getting a taxi back with friends after a night out is cheap. Plus, on Lapad you're near the beaches and you get the views without the crowds.

Thank you for our kind words. We are glad you enjoyed your stay, it was great having you at Villa Divine. We would love to have you back in the future. Wish you all the best for the rest of your trip!!!

NosDa Studio Hostel

Cardiff, Wales

Super friendly staff, great patio on the river walk, easy walk to town. Our twin room was cozy, but it was right over the bar so it was a little loud at night. The wifi only worked in the lounge and was dreadfully off and on. Solid continental breakfast.

• 19th May 2013
  • Globetrotter

Clean, comfy, nice staff, good wifi, lots of little touches like photos of guests on the walls and shampoo in the showers. Large dorm beds with privacy curtains and a nightstand shelf & light. A couple buses will take you to the Gion neighborhood; otherwise it's a 10-minute walk to the train station and a bus or train from there. Two 24-hour convenience stores nearby.

Thank you very much for staying with us! We deeply appreciate your comment and rating. Yes, there is a bus stop just a few minutes walk from the guesthouse and you can get to some of the major sightseeing spots (ex. Kiyomizu temple, Gion area, downtown area, Heian-Jingu shine, Imperial Palace, Toji temple, Tofukuji temple and such). It's convenient especially because you can avoid the crowd at Kyoto st. and you don't have to stand in line waiting for a bus. Hope to see you again!

Advisor Hostel

Hanoi, Vietnam

The owners of this guesthouse are the sweetest people. I got a pickup from the train station and we always had friendly chats every time I went out. My room was cleaned well every day and the bed was comfortable. Close to everything in the old quarter. The wifi did cut out pretty frequently, though, and my laundry was returned slightly damp.

HongThien 1 Hotel

Hue, Vietnam

Pros: Nice rooms with bold decorations, an actual tub in the bathroom (the first one I've seen in 2 months of travel in SEA!). Decent wifi. Didn't use the pool, but it looked nice. Breakfast was simple eggs and toasted baguette, nicely prepared. Very friendly staff, especially the woman who checked me in, wish I could remember her name. Cons: There was a mix-up in extending my stay and I had to go across the street to their less-nice sister place. Also, my room had an ant problem.

Hoa My I Hotel

Hoi An, Vietnam

Comfortable bed, small but cozy room, decent wifi in room. Included breakfast is tasty and filling (esp the pancakes). Staff is very helpful, even the brusque woman who works mornings (her English is the best of the whole staff). They even bought me a pizza for my birthday when I was laid up sick. Bit of a walk to the old town, and the restaurants in the immediate area aren't great.

HQ Cafe

Nha Trang, Vietnam

The dorm beds aren't rock hard (a bonus in SEA) and the lockers are big enough to fit your whole pack if you'd like. The wifi works fine and the in-room lounge seems nice, not that many people used it while I was there. Unfortunately, the room is right on the street, and it is unbearably loud for a good portion of the night, so I found actual sleep difficult. But the staff is very friendly and it's right across the street from Lanterns, a tasty restaurant.

HQ Cafe

Nha Trang, Vietnam

I stayed in a private room to ensure I got some sleep, but unfortunately the room faced the street, and it was super loud. Also, the door is entirely made of frosted glass, so anyone could peek in and see what my shadow was doing, and there was no curtain for the door so light flooded the room all night. Also, sometimes reception staff was overhwelmed by tour requests all at once, could use backup, poor girl. Otherwise, great place, good wifi, friendly staff, comfy bed, huge room, big balcony.

NgocThao GuestHouse

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

The friendliest family staff I've met on my seven months of traveling--and they have a sweet baby! Everything is clean and in good working order. Only thing is the wifi doesn't work on every floor; some extra routers might help with that. They show you on a calculator how they calculate all the charges when you book a tour with them, which is a nice touch of honesty. Perfect location on hotel alley, not too loud at night. Tours reasonably priced but very regimented itineraries.

Eighty8 Phnom Penh

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Great common area, very friendly staff. The food at the bar is delicious, both Khmer and Western. Shared tuk tuk ride to Killing Fields & S-21 was reasonably priced. Easy to get my visa for Vietnam. Try to get female-only dorm if you can; those rooms are quieter than the mixed dorms directly over the bar. Frustrating things: 1) the A/C in our room was set to a good temp but never seemed to reach it, and it was way too hot at night. 2) No wifi in rooms, and spotty at best in the common area.

Tropical Breeze Guest house

Siem Reap, Cambodia

Clean private rooms. Dogs barked most of the night so it wasn't as quiet as it might've been. Food was good, and well priced esp. compared to Pub St. The power went out 3 times during my 1 week stay, but that's not something the hostel can control. Reception guy (not owner) didn't give me correct time for my bus out of time, so I almost missed it, and there was no apology. Tuk tuk drivers through the hostel are polite, have limited English.

A Little Bird Guesthouse

Chiang Mai, Thailand

A pretty decent little guesthouse, although it's hit or miss whether people will be up til 2:30 having a party on the deck or not, so your sleep may be affected by that. Lockers in the room are small but adequate. Sheets are bizarrely narrow; they don't cover the whole width of the bed. Wifi was spotty, despite there being two signals. Seems to be a good place to chill out. Near all the northeast city stuff. Price is right.

HI-Sukhumvit

Bangkok, Thailand

Beautifully decorated hostel, nice little toast n tea breakfast. The owner was super helpful in directing me various places when I arrived; some of the other staff I interacted with didn't have great English but they were very friendly regardless. It is right off the Skytrain (when you take exit 4, make a hard right and walk behind the stairs to find the soi), so that helps, but it's still quite far from the old town and all the attractions therein.

Tuptim Bed&Breakfast

Bangkok, Thailand

Not a quiet place just near Khaosan Rd; it is on a road just as loud, and it was impossible to sleep before 3am. On a Monday night. Hard to find at night. Photo is misleading, looks like it's on the corner of a street, but it's right in the middle, near the Green House sign. Toilets laughably small. Morning staff very sweet.

JP Mansion

Krabi, Thailand

Loved the classic rock playing at the bar. Loved that the bar didn't get rowdy and keep me up. Comfortable room, good A/C, and they do provide bath towels. The owner arranged a discount on a tour for me, and the woman who checked me in directed me to the night market & was very friendly. The showerhead was a bit wonky so the toilet roll got soaked during my shower, and the halls echo when people come in at night, but otherwise, a great place to sleep, and in a very central location.

Phuket Backpacker

Phuket, Thailand

Most staff are really friendly, except for the woman whose English is best, which is too bad. The rooms are the size of train sleepers, and the walls don't go all the way to the top of the ceiling (to let the A/C from one machine in, rather than put A/C in all the rooms), so sound and light do come in til late. But the noise from the bar isn't too bad, the internet connection is strong, and the taxi guys out front are friendly. I wouldn't book tours here; got bad info on how long a bus took.

Te Anau Lakefront Backpackers

Te Anau, New Zealand

One of the staff was really friendly, the other was dour. Their excuse for charging $5 for one hour of internet is that the remote location of Te Anau makes it impossible to have it faster or cheaper, which is BS, since the library has it free, and the YHA has a great connection for $5 a day. The view from the balcony was great.

Chateau Franz Backpackers

Franz Josef, New Zealand

The staff really stand out at Chateau Franz. Super friendly and helpful, even when the whole world was drowning in rain. The hot tub/spa is the perfect way to finish up a day on the glacier. The beds were comfortable and the lounge was a good place to chat with people. Only suggestion I have is: more plugs! There was one in our bedroom and none in the lounge.

Glow Worm Cottages

Franz Josef, New Zealand

A bit rundown, and loud when people are getting up early to go hiking, but a good base for going up the glaciers.

Global Village Travellers Lodge

Greymouth, New Zealand

Gorgeously decorated. Great kitchen. Each room had baskets to put your toiletries in. Plenty of plugs. Good outdoor seating as well as in. Instruments to play on. Lovely staff. One of the best hostels in New Zealand! (Only downside: tiny showers.)

The Villa Backpackers Lodge

Picton, New Zealand

A lovely place, I liked that they kept the original style when renovating to make it a hostel. The beds didn't have rails on the top bunks, though! Very scary, and kept me nervous a lot of the night.

University Hall Auckland

Auckland, New Zealand

Sure, it's a university hall most of the time, so it's not going to have all the usual amenities. But I did think it would have better internet connection. They say they have a kitchen, but what the mean is a microwave, sandwich press, and electric kettle, and someone had stolen all the dishes on my floor. One of the workers was friendly, another had no interest in helping me. They didn't have change for my payment in the morning, and still charged me a percentage to use a credit card!

Freemans lodge

Auckland, New Zealand

Great free box, well-stocked herbs & spices in the kitchen, super clean space, friendly staff, free Internet, decent pressure in the showers. Love it here!

Choice Plaza Hostel

Auckland, New Zealand

The dorm floors had fun murals on the walls, but the floor with private rooms was barren and falling apart. I booked a single specifically so I could get lots of sleep, but the thin walls ensured I heard everything from the rooms next to me. The bed was soft and thin, and the room was dirty. The lobby stinks of smoke and is full of shady older men. The whole feel was of a sketchy boarding house rather than a hostel for travelers.

YHA Auckland City

Auckland, New Zealand

Room got super hot but there was no fan, and all the windows had signs asking us not to open them. When we did anyway, we were treated to drunken carousing on the street below. Only one outlet in the entire room, and it was by one of the beds, so anyone who wanted to charge things had to put their stuff there. Only two toilets and one shower for all the women on the entire floor. The staff were very friendly, and the kitchen was massive, no problem getting food made during dinner rush.

Saltwater Lodge

Paihia, New Zealand

En suite bathrooms are always a plus. The balcony and common area were great for socializing, and I appreciated that they both closed down by midnight so everyone had a fair shot at a good night's sleep. The only downside is the proximity of some bars that didn't have the same bedtime, but I don't think the hostel can do anything about that.

Freemans lodge

Auckland, New Zealand

The hostel staff is obsessed with cleaning, which is a nice change from other hostels. This does mean vacuum cleaners at 8:30am, though. There's a TV lounge but people are more likely to congregate on the patio for a smoke, which is annoying if you're in one of the adjoining rooms, as the smell drifts in. Otherwise, people mainly keep to themselves, and it's not loud too late, so it's a great oasis after a day of sightseeing. The owners are very friendly as well.

Travellers Oasis

Cairns, Australia

This really is an oasis in the concrete block that is Cairns. Very clean rooms, friendly staff, chill guests. Not tons of partying, so it's the perfect place to go if you want a quiet refuge after busy activities all day.

Alice Springs YHA

Alice Springs, Australia

This is an efficiently run hostel, and it's kept very clean, no mean feat in the desert. There wasn't much socializing going on, but the staff was mostly helpful and the bunk beds were very sturdy and pretty comfortable. It's also right downtown, unlike most other hostels in Alice. I'd stay here again.