Long Hostel

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

Very clean and friendly staff. I always enjoyed my stays here.

Hostel Nomads

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Although the bed is just a mattress on the floor, it was still comfortable to sleep on. I slept in the air-conditioned room, but it felt a little musky because there was no ventilation. I really did enjoy the free laundry. And although Robert has a lot of recommendations, it doesn't hurt to ask around because there may be better deals elsewhere.

U-Baan Guesthouse

Bangkok, Thailand

Although the location was a bit far our of from the center (MBK, Pentagon) and takes about 30 minutes commute on the SkyTrain (~$1.50), it was the best value for my money. Joy was nice, personable and helpful. I would stay here again because of the value. There was no "backpacker atmosphere", which I appreciated (quiet).

Gongkaew Chiangmai Home

Chiang Mai, Thailand

The ambience of the place was perfect with the large yard and mango trees. The facilities were great and very clean (the bathroom made the stay worth it). The location was good as well, but nothing spectacular. I would stay here again.

Khammany Inn Hostel

Luang Prabang, Laos

I chose to stay here because of the price, but I would have paid a little more for some comfort. 1) the internet was horrible- only a certain number of guests could use it at one time, so we were all fighting to use the WiFi. 2) The dorm was in the 2 floor but the restroom in the basement. Out of 3 sinks, 2 were broken. The hot water did not work, nor were there any racks in the bathroom, so everything got wet. Breakfast was subpar and not tasty. 3) Location relatively far from the center.

NaNa GuestHouse

Vang Vieng, Laos

The dorm was a bit musky but I got used to it after several hours. Bathroom was ensuite so that was nice. It's about ten minutes from the center so that's a bit farther away than most other guesthouses/hostels. The staff was friendly. Good value.

Sihome Backpackers Hostel

Vientiane, Laos

The location was a bit far out from the touristy sites (about a 15 minute walk to Wat Sisaket). The facilities were good (very hot water plus great shower heads). The lounge area was fun to hang in. The owner tried to rip me off with a $50 combined bus ticket to Luang Prabang and layover in Vang Vieng, but I think it's like that in most hostels. Go to a travel agent and ask around. Bus ticket to VV should cost around 35-50,000kip, and VV to LP is around 95,000kip. Foreign staff was great.

• 1st Jun 2013