Location: USA, Gender: Female, Age: 31

Hello Guesthouse

Busan, South Korea

This was my second time staying at Hello Guesthouse. It's my favorite place in Busan, and I plan to check here first for any future trips I take to the beach. Fantastic location a few minutes' walk from Haeundae beach, cute interior and common areas, comfortable beds, well-equipped kitchen--all-around a great experience. Sand gets tracked inside, but it's a beach hostel, so a little of that is to be expected. Feels safe and secure.

• 5th May 2014

Thailandwow

Chiang Mai, Thailand

I enjoyed my stay. The mango shakes are delicious! Dorms are locked by a gate at night and feel secure, and there are lockers inside. The shows are minimal, but clean (getting hot water was tricky). The host, Kai, had lots of connections to local tours. The hostel gets commissions from package tours, so it's thoughtful to book tours through them so they can keep room rates low. There was a rate miscalculation with a tour I took, but the staff solved the situation well. A nice place to stay!

Tokyo Hostel

Tokyo, Japan

Security was good--keycode lock after hours, personal locker and keys. I arrived after check in was closed and other residents outside helped me in. If you're arriving late, be sure to let the hostel know. The beds are compact, but otherwise the facilities were clean and good. The kitchen was cluttered but well-stocked. It's VERY far from the station and from the middle of Tokyo but easy to find. If you literally just need a place to sleep, this is it. Must cancel 72 hours before to be refunded.

I enjoyed my visit and would stay here again in Tokyo. The staff were helpful about the area. The cafe owned by the hostel was a decent place to stop for a drink, snack, or meal and to chat with travelers. Just don't bring your own snacks to the cafe. Cons: There were no lockers (keep valuables behind the desk), personal lights in the dorms are too bright, and bunk power outlets were hard to use. Pro: Showers/beds were clean and everything else was great! Look for a flier for used kimono nearby!

Jeju Skywalker Guesthouse

Jeju Island, South Korea

Booked 2 beds in a 4-bed female dorm for 3 nights. Arrived at the hostel; the rates had risen $3/night since booking, and they said rooms were "1st come 1st served." Night 1, we were in an 8-bed F dorm. The other nights, they made up for it by putting us in a 6-bed F dorm with two other women. Showers are communal. Breakfast is first come first served too--sometimes just toast with jam (area coffee shops open at 10). Common areas were often dirty. Friendly manager but his staff seemed untrained.

I arrived during a mild monsoon, and the guesthouse owners helped me book for another night when my plans got disrupted. The owners and fellow travelers were great. Beautiful common areas, and the guesthouse was very clean. There may be a curfew, but if there's a good conversation going, the owners are good-natured enough to know when to ease up on rules. :) Thanks for a great stay!

Staff were friendly, helpful, knowledgeable, and the location is ideal for access to major sightseeing spots in Kyoto. Good nearby shopping area. While not "Japanese traditional," the bedding was unbelievably comfortable in the women's dorm, and the other guests were quiet and unobtrusive. There were plenty of opportunities to connect with other travelers if that's what you're looking for. I appreciated their system to store luggage after check-out. Overall excellent place to stay.

Modorine Hostel

Gyeong-ju, South Korea

I had such a wonderful stay at this hostel during my trip to Gyeongju. The host helped me find my way there late at night, and the atmosphere of the place was lovely. Super clean! The fellow guests were pleasant, responsible, and even good (unplanned!) trip companions. I'm thrilled I found this hostel! Really appreciated the help with buses and maps, and the fresh baked bread for breakfast--amazing! Please list your phone number on Hostelworld. The only way I found it was on Twitter! 감사합니다! ^^