Location USA, Gender Female, Age 33

Homy Inn, Hong Kong, Hong Kong
24th Sep 2015

Room was bigger than I was expecting, and though it was damp from poor ventilation (no windows), it was clean, quiet, and the wifi worked great. The lobby was well-equipped with insta-coffee and tourist info, and the staff were very helpful. A friend called the hostel while I was out of cell service and the staff hand-wrote the message and put it on my door in person! Shower was cramped, but it was nice getting the linens changed daily in the private room. Would stay here again! Great location!

9th Aug 2015

I stayed in one of the private rooms. Pretty clean and not bad overall, but the one shared bathroom for the entire group of private rooms was frustrating. The building had good security locks, but the outer building doors had to be slammed loudly to get them to latch which was jarring and unpleasant. Kitchen size was pretty good--maybe add a few plates to improve it? Cute decor left by travelers! Seems like it would be a nice, cheap, quirky, fun hostel for young backpackers.

Meander Taipei, Taipei, Taiwan
6th Aug 2015

We weathered typhoon Soudelor together--what an experience! Meander was professional, calm, well-prepared, and the facilities were big enough and well-equipped that even with most guests indoors for a day and a half during the typhoon, there was space to move around and lots to do. The complimentary breakfast was delicious! Comfortable mattress in the girls' dorm room. The lounge is classy, bright and inviting & they have many scheduled activities! Only quibble: please open front desk till 11pm~

Hi ! I’m happy to see you felt safe during the typhoon; it was definitely quite an experience, we were fortunate that our operation wasn’t affected too much and we were still able to keep everyone happy through this difficult time. Our front desk opening hours are 7am-11pm, and we always have one member of staff on until 3am to assist any late arrivals to the hostel ! Thank you for your kind words and positive feedback!

Comfy Hostel, Hualien, Taiwan
4th Aug 2015

What a wonderful, pleasant stay! I'd love to visit Taiwan/Hualien again, and if so I'd definitely re-visit Comfy Hostel. It's very clean and new, and the female dorms are comfortable and well-equipped with storage/power/etc. JoJo was friendly, considerate, helpful, and an excellent hostess. They have great maps of area night markets and restaurants. There are social options if you like that at hostels, or quiet and privacy, too. Thanks again, and I hope the typhoon didn't affect you too much!

• USA, All Female Group, 25-30
Hello Guesthouse, Busan, South Korea
5th May 2014

This was my second time staying at Hello Guesthouse. It's my favorite place in Busan, and I plan to check here first for any future trips I take to the beach. Fantastic location a few minutes' walk from Haeundae beach, cute interior and common areas, comfortable beds, well-equipped kitchen--all-around a great experience. Sand gets tracked inside, but it's a beach hostel, so a little of that is to be expected. Feels safe and secure.

Thailandwow, Chiang Mai, Thailand
28th Jan 2014

I enjoyed my stay. The mango shakes are delicious! Dorms are locked by a gate at night and feel secure, and there are lockers inside. The shows are minimal, but clean (getting hot water was tricky). The host, Kai, had lots of connections to local tours. The hostel gets commissions from package tours, so it's thoughtful to book tours through them so they can keep room rates low. There was a rate miscalculation with a tour I took, but the staff solved the situation well. A nice place to stay!

Tokyo Hostel, Tokyo, Japan
8.0
21st Sep 2013

Security was good--keycode lock after hours, personal locker and keys. I arrived after check in was closed and other residents outside helped me in. If you're arriving late, be sure to let the hostel know. The beds are compact, but otherwise the facilities were clean and good. The kitchen was cluttered but well-stocked. It's VERY far from the station and from the middle of Tokyo but easy to find. If you literally just need a place to sleep, this is it. Must cancel 72 hours before to be refunded.

Sakura Hostel Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Japan
17th Sep 2013

I enjoyed my visit and would stay here again in Tokyo. The staff were helpful about the area. The cafe owned by the hostel was a decent place to stop for a drink, snack, or meal and to chat with travelers. Just don't bring your own snacks to the cafe. Cons: There were no lockers (keep valuables behind the desk), personal lights in the dorms are too bright, and bunk power outlets were hard to use. Pro: Showers/beds were clean and everything else was great! Look for a flier for used kimono nearby!

Jeju Skywalker Guesthouse, Jeju Island, South Korea
7.1
28th Jul 2013

Booked 2 beds in a 4-bed female dorm for 3 nights. Arrived at the hostel; the rates had risen $3/night since booking, and they said rooms were "1st come 1st served." Night 1, we were in an 8-bed F dorm. The other nights, they made up for it by putting us in a 6-bed F dorm with two other women. Showers are communal. Breakfast is first come first served too--sometimes just toast with jam (area coffee shops open at 10). Common areas were often dirty. Friendly manager but his staff seemed untrained.

Kyoto Guesthouse Roujiya, Kyoto, Japan
30th Sep 2012

I arrived during a mild monsoon, and the guesthouse owners helped me book for another night when my plans got disrupted. The owners and fellow travelers were great. Beautiful common areas, and the guesthouse was very clean. There may be a curfew, but if there's a good conversation going, the owners are good-natured enough to know when to ease up on rules. :) Thanks for a great stay!

29th Sep 2012

Staff were friendly, helpful, knowledgeable, and the location is ideal for access to major sightseeing spots in Kyoto. Good nearby shopping area. While not "Japanese traditional," the bedding was unbelievably comfortable in the women's dorm, and the other guests were quiet and unobtrusive. There were plenty of opportunities to connect with other travelers if that's what you're looking for. I appreciated their system to store luggage after check-out. Overall excellent place to stay.

Modorine Hostel, Gyeong-ju, South Korea
9th Aug 2012

I had such a wonderful stay at this hostel during my trip to Gyeongju. The host helped me find my way there late at night, and the atmosphere of the place was lovely. Super clean! The fellow guests were pleasant, responsible, and even good (unplanned!) trip companions. I'm thrilled I found this hostel! Really appreciated the help with buses and maps, and the fresh baked bread for breakfast--amazing! Please list your phone number on Hostelworld. The only way I found it was on Twitter! 감사합니다! ^^