The Mad Monkey

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

What a great hostel! It's clearly supporting the local community as all of the staff are Cambodian and incredibly friendly and happy to work there. The bar is a great place to meet people, you can be the DJ and pick your own music. Loads of choice of drinks and food available. Great breakfast and lots of teas like Earl Grey. The music is turned off around 11pm to be respectful to the locals and give everyone a chance to sleep. The manager will suggest places to keep parting if you're in the mood

• 13th Jul 2013

Dozy House

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Jina really does make this hostel what it is. Nee is also absolutely gorgeous and both of them make you feel at home every time you walk into the porch. I have never felt so welcome in a hostel! Jina and Nee will book tours at great prices, who pick you up from the hostel. They always ask how they were so they can recommend them to others. Jina's 8 month old son, Tham, never fails to make you smile and is doubtless going to be as big hearted and happy as his Mummy.

• 8th Jul 2013

I didn't actually get to stay here but I wanted to review it to let you know how lovely Ricky is when you have a problem, like I did. I arrived late at night and my driver couldn't find the hostel. I was really gutted because I'd read great reviews about it. Make sure you have a map or directions to help the driver because they genuinely don't seem to know where it is in Kata Beach. When I emailed RNR to explain, Ricky was really understanding and gracious, not charging me for the 'no show.'

• 6th Jul 2013

The Lounge

Koh Samui, Thailand

The Lounge really is off the beaten track! Other reviews said that it's a good place to meet people. This is true and the common room is a nice place to hang out. However, the greeting I received after the good walk in the sun was mediocre and the people who ran the hostel seemed to sit around most of the day. I couldn't lock my door and the guy laughed at me when showing me how to do it. There wasn't enough breakfast to go around and there seemed to be a 'you snooze, you lose attitude.'

• 1st Jul 2013