Garden House Hostel

Porto, Portugal

Garden House was in the perfect location, right on the main shopping street and close to everything. The staff is incredible- they helped us with all of our questions and even let us check in early so we could freshen up. The hostel itself is beautiful and always clean. With free wifi and a large kitchen, this hostel has it all. I would definitely stay at Garden House again.

Wombats City Hostel Munich

Munich, Germany

For the location, the hostel is a bit overpriced. It's right by the train station but far from the city center. Also, because of its proximity to the train station, there are some questionable people on the streets near the hostel at all hours. Breakfast is not included and wifi only available in common area. It is a really great place to meet other travelers- the hang out room and bar are quite nice.

Let's Rock Hostel

Krakow, Poland

I was a little underwhelmed by Good Bye Lenin Hostel. The bar underneath the hostel makes the entire place smell like smoke. Also, the hostel itself was a bit run down, making it appear dirtier than it was. The beds were old and extremely thin. On the plus side, the staff was extremely nice and helpful, the location is good and the free breakfast was hearty. All in all, the facilities good use some updating but we had a pleasant stay.

fusion prague

Prague, Czech Republic

This hostel is more like a hotel. It is very modern, extremely clean and cheap! The hostel has laundry on site, a nice bar and lounge area, and a restaurant. The staff are excellent- Helena and Jakub were there to answer any questions we needed with a smile. My only complaint was that in some of the rooms, people just had a pull out couch to sleep on, or the beds were pushed together (like 1 bed). If I had been traveling alone, this may have made me uncomfortable to sleep next to a stranger.

Hostel Ruthensteiner

Vienna, Austria

The hostel had nice kitchen, laundry on site, and the rooms were clean and fairly spacious. We had 10 people in our room and only one shower/toilet, so that was a little difficult sometimes. The hostel is right next to the main train station but a bit of a walk from the city center.

Guesthouse Salzburg

Salzburg, Austria

This hostel is more like a hotel as it is incredibly large. If you are looking to meet other travelers, this is probably not the place for you. The staff was pleasant though they always seemed to be busy with something else. It is very clean and well kept. While staying there, 6 girls checked into my room at about 1am and made a ton of noise while I was trying to sleep. This is not the hostel's fault but it was very inconvenient. Overall I had a fairly pleasant stay.

The Garden Backpacker

Seville, Spain

The hostel was very nice with a large kitchen and common room. The only downside was the lack of bathrooms. At peak times during the day, all of the bathrooms were occupied and we had to wait to use them. Other than that, the staff was very friendly and willing to help you. The free sangria was rather lovely as well.

Home Lisbon Hostel

Lisbon, Portugal

This was my second time staying at Home Lisbon, and it was just as great, if not better, than my first stay. The hostel is constantly trying to improve itself, whether through the new signs outside, or the addition of iPads for guest use. Home Lisbon is the friendliest hostel I have stayed at, and I'm sure I'll be back!

Fattoria di Cavaglioni

Siena, Italy

• 31st Oct 2012

Dimora Santa Croce

Venice, Italy

The hostel room was in a completely different area than the check-in building. With no kitchen, breakfast or wifi, the price was very steep though that can be expected in Venice. It is a beautiful city with lots to offer, and this was a fairly nice place to stay. Clean, quiet and close to most attractions. Not the greatest but it definitely could have been worse. I could stay here again.

Hostal Santillan

Madrid, Spain

This hostel is very unique and has a lot to offer. It is in the perfect location, right on Gran Via close to the metro and attractions. It is set in an older building so it has a lot of charm. We had a three person room with a private bathroom and it was excellent. It was the perfect place to stay for a night in Madrid. The only downside would be that it is not as easy to meet other travelers at this hostel. All in all, I would recommend it!

El Granado

Granada, Spain

This hostel had a lot of charm. The common room was really nice and the room we stayed in was always clean. The staff was super nice- they even let us into the kitchen after hours to use a couple items. The only downsides are that it is on a small, private street (though still in walking distance to all attractions), and also the showers are a bit awkward and would leave the bathroom floor soaking wet after someone had used them.

Home Lisbon Hostel

Lisbon, Portugal

This was one of the best hostels I have ever stayed at. If you stay in Lisbon, you NEED to stay here. It is incredibly clean, the staff is friendly and everyone who stays there is great. Don't miss out on Mamma's dinners each night (a steal for 10 euro... some of the best HOMEMADE Portuguese food) or on the Walking Tours and Pub Crawl sponsored by the hostel. Loved my stay there and will definitely be returning.