Xian Guohua Apartment

Xi'an, China

Guo Hua was a fine place to stay. I had expected an ensuite room, but what I got was a shared bathroom with six or so other private rooms. Apart from that, the bed was comfortable and the host was friendly and helpful. If you want a social experience or organised tours to join, this probably shouldn't be your pick, but for a place to stay that isn't too far out of the way, it was satisfactory.

• 2nd Oct 2014
  • New Zealand

Friendly staff, very helpful, even helping me to give the taxi driver instructions to finding the hostel (in an alley off a larger street). The website said it was a family room, but what we got was three single bunk beds - but there was an ensuite bathroom that was fine.

• 31st May 2014

Leo Hostel

Beijing, China

Good atmosphere BUT I won't stay here again. 1) no lockers in the dorm rooms; 2) the shared bathrooms weren't very clean - they always smelled, and the shower doors didn't lock properly (one lock was hanging out); and 3) I had an unfortunate experience with the food - on my final night I ate at the hostel and a few hours later I threw up my dinner. I told them the next day as I checked out and she didn't seem to understand that it was bad or offer any refund or even concern.

• 3rd Feb 2014
  • New Zealand

Hello. Thank you for your comments. We will fix the lockers and locks. We will clean better. We are sorry if you were sick. Next time please tell our manager if you have problems.

The staff were very friendly, one even helped me get my two large, heavy suitcases to the metro station (and to buy breakfast) when I left early the next morning! The beds were a little hard (I slept on top of my duvet, fortunately the room was very warm), and more power points for the top bunks would be good - there weren't quite enough for the phones and laptops that needed charging. It would be a good idea for them to send an email confirming bookings - I had to email them to confirm.

• 30th Jan 2013

Sunshine Home

Guangzhou, China

This is more of a homestay than a hostel. A four bed females only dorm, a larger mixed dorm and a double room, in a large apartment. All facilities, including the kitchen and sole bathroom, are shared with everyone (including the owners). Lockers are only big enough for valuables. The view from the balcony is lovely, and it is within 30 minutes walk of the major sites in Guangzhou. The owners are friendly (possibly a little too friendly, when it came time for me to check out and say goodbye).

• 28th Dec 2012

Wada Hostel in Guilin

Guilin, China

The team at Wada Guilin are great, friendly, ever-present, and with good English. They arranged good tours of local must-sees (if only they could get the weather to co-operate too!), and have lots of good advice. They even went the extra mile to help me when I lost photos transferring them from my phone (I have managed to recover some of them, fortunately). The lockers are a good size, and I liked the curtains around the bunk beds - I could pretend I was in a four-poster bed like a princess.

• 23rd Dec 2012
  • New Zealand

Hi, Thank you very much for your good review! We were sad too when we knew that you had lost your pictures, but what a pity that we couldnt help you to get all pictures back. Anyway, we hope you nice girl a very nice trip in China. Hope to see you again. Team Wada

Harbour Guest House

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

Manna (the hostess) was super-lovely and sweet, and my room was perfect for my needs (a reasonably comfortable and central place to sleep). The hawkers outside the main entrance to the building only took 3 days of repeating that I am fine and know where I am going before they stopped approaching me to ask if madam was looking for a hostel. The wireless is good, and there is an internet shop on the ground floor if you need a computer. I'll stay there again if I need budget room in HK.

• 18th Dec 2012
  • New Zealand

Apart from cancelling my booking because my bus to Shanghai took a couple of hours longer than expected, and therefore being in a mixed dorm rather than a female one for the four nights as I had booked, I enjoyed the hostel. The staff were friendly and helpful and the bathroom was nice and clean.

• 1st Oct 2012
  • New Zealand

The staff were really friendly and spoke really good English. The lockers really do need to be bigger though. My four-bed dorm had six small lockers, and I could only just squeeze my small backpack into my one. The showers could also do with more space to put clothes and toiletries. Otherwise it was great, I enjoyed my two nights in Nanjing.

• 29th Sep 2012