The Old Swan Barracks

Perth, Australia

I liked the hostel,the place was clean and great location. However, I found the staff not to be helpful at all. At checking in, the guy did not explain where the toilets/showers were, where to go for the free breakfast, where the TV room was, anything. And when checking out, I met the rudest girl ever on reception. She knew I was in a rush to the airport and stood talking to her friends,made me run around getting sheets and made me put them away, rolling her eyes and grabbing my money.

• 18th Apr 2014

Oslo Hotel

Melbourne, Australia

When I read the reviews of this place I had a really bad image of what it was going to be like but there was no where else in my budget.However I extended my stay by a week and I am still there at the moment. been given a really nice room for women only which has its own lounge, fridge and showers. The staff are nice and it has Foxtel in the sitting room. The only real problem I have is that there is a very cliquey vibe, with the majority of guests French or German and not mixing with others

• 17th Jan 2014

Apollo Bay Backpackers Lodge

Apollo Bay, Australia

There was no atmosphere at the hostel and we were greeted by the receptionist/owner who told us straightaway she knew what Irish people were like and there was to be 'no jumping on tables.' Seeing that we had just arrived and were all exhausted from driving and had an early start the next day, we found this offensive.

• 3rd Sep 2013

Loved staying in the Barkly, great bar upstairs and events on in the hostel to get involved. The location is in the middle of St Kilda and close to everything.

• 31st Aug 2013

Nomads Byron Bay

Byron Bay, Australia

The hostel was very clean and nice. I thought they were too strict on security at night having to show your room key AND ID. The staff were very friendly and Ollie came out with us most nights, making it easy to stick in a group.

• 5th Jun 2013

Base Airlie Beach Resort

Airlie Beach, Australia

I stayed for several days and it seemed everyone who stayed was only there for one night before and after their Whitsundays. I would have liked more group activities and ways to meet new people as I was travelling alone and each time the only people put in my room were couples, making it harder to make friends.

• 23rd May 2013