Ca' Venezia

Venice, Italy

At the very top, the view is superb (bell tower!). No secure lockers, unfortunately. There is a kitchen, one bathroom to share (hot water was never an issue), TV, and wifi (only if you're sitting inside the office - outside does not really work). Towels available are hand-towel-sized.Amran, while he seems very knowledgable of the city, is like THAT uncle: a bit too friendly, especially if you don't like your personal bubble invaded. Decent place to stay, and easy to find if you follow their map!

We were only here for a night, and our flight got in fairly late. But from what little we saw of the hostel, it looks like a good place to meet fellow-travelers. Bathrooms were clean, and the front desk was helpful. The stairs to get to the actual hostel (on the second floor, third if you're American) are dark and creepy, but there is a light switch! We were eaten alive by mosquitos the night we stayed, so I'd suggest form netting, but beds were decent and it sufficed for a single night.

Flying Pig Uptown

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Fair warning, if you book for two in an 8 person room, you will be in a double bed - would have been nice to know beforehand. Lockers are large, front desk is helpful, towels for a deposit, bar has nice deals, the rooms are super warm, and the hostel is a few blocks from the Rijksmuseum (it's closed until mid-April for 2013). The noise levels from the bar aren't sleep-friendly from the first floor, and the bathrooms are tiny, but they're (usually) clean. Hot showers and a nice view of the park!

Hi there, Thank you very much for your feedback. We can learn a lot from your experience with us! If you book a Double or Queen-size bed you will share a bed but you can also choose to book single beds. Thanks for your other comments, we will keep them in mind! Cheers, The Flying Pig Uptown

Durty Nellys Inn

Amsterdam, Netherlands

The hostel had moved me into a smaller (and probably quieter) room, which was exactly what I needed after a long flight. The front desk was super friendly (yes, you do actually need to walk into the bar to get to the desk), people need to stop complaining about the stairs - they're pretty mellow compared to other places, the kitchen let me try their hot sauce with breakfast (bread, deli selections, cereal, eggs), lockers were huge, bathrooms were very modern and clean, and I hope I go back!

Lisbon Soul Hostel

Lisbon, Portugal

I had a great stay at the Lisbon Soul - it's new, very clean, and there are numerous bathrooms, so no waiting! It was difficult to find this place from Santa Apolonia station using their directions, and I'd suggest taking the tram 12 on your first day (there is a stop literally across the street from the hostel). The staff was wonderful, you can rent locks, great lounge space, and big kitchen with all the amenities. My only complaint is the noise from the main street, which my room faced.

Abraham House

Dublin, Ireland

I had a good stay - the hostel was one of many along Gardiner St., and easy walking distance to pretty much everything. I stayed in a 10-bed female dorm with one en-suite bathroom, which was clean and spacious. There is a luggage room in the lobby, but nothing in the rooms themselves. Breakfast was great, and there were quite a few people staying in this hostel when I was there, so it was easy to hear some good stories. I didn't interact with the staff much, but check-in was easy. I'd come back!

The location is literally a 5 minute walk from the underground, and a quick jaunt to the London Eye. There is a luggage room for your stuff, but the lockers in the actual room are the tiny ones. The hostel is above it's own bar (which had karaoke one night, lovely stuff!), but the noise wasn't an issue. The bathrooms could be improved, as I was taking cold showers both nights. The room (9-bed triple bunks) was extremely small, so bags were getting trampled. Good breakfast and easy to find!

I had a decent stay, in a 15-bed triple-bunk dorm. There's no place to put your stuff, so everyone was pretty much stepping on everything strewn across the ground. Both nights I was there, groups stumbled in drunk and loud, but that's to be expected. The hostel is right above it's own bar (pizza and milkshakes are perfect, though), but the noise isn't a problem. Bathrooms need better lighting, but they're clean. Location-wise, it's a bit of a walk from the nearest underground, but not an issue.