Location: Netherlands, Gender: Male, Age: 35

Paprika Hostel 2

Budapest, Hungary

This small place has great potential. Most staff members are inexperienced and the sanitary facilities were not up to par, but I would definately recommend this place. It's not a party hostel, but you'll find lots of nightlife options just around the corner and you'll find people to explore those with in the hostel. Great ambience, enthousiastic staff and a diverse crowd. Köszönöm szépen! I will be back soon!

• 19th Sep 2014

Budapest, Hungary

I've been here several times and it's definately one of my favourite hostels in the world. I was a bit unlucky with some cliquey room mates this time, but it's impossible to not find new friends here. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. I came back to Budapest two days earlier than scheduled. Carpe Noctem unfortunately was booked out for those two extra nights, but the staff managed to book a bed for me at their sister hostel Carpe Noctem Vitae. Very much appreciated! See you again!

• 27th Jun 2014

Hostel Mali Mrak Zagreb

Zagreb, Croatia

At times this place might seem a bit messy, shady, quirky or dodgy, but if you don't mind that and you are willing to stay outside the city centre, then you'll find a clean and homely hostel in Mali Mrak. A day ticket for the tram is really not expensive and it will get you back to the hostel in less than 20 minutes. The garden is a great place to relax in and to meet other people staying in the hostel. Definately stay here for more than just a stopover on the way to the Croatian coast.

• 21st Jun 2014
  • Globetrotter

My, that's quite a quirky/contradictory review :) Messy, but 5/5 cleanliness rating :D ? That's fair, i think, given how much time all of us spend cleaning the place. When you have 20+ people checking out, showering, washing laundry, cooking etc, things do have a tendency to get messy for a while, no helping it :D . Thanks for the fun review, was good having you here!

The House Hostel Zagreb

Zagreb, Croatia

This is such a nice place. I loved the spaciousness and the atmosphere is this small hostel. They have a really good common room, a garden and friendly and chatty staff members. Definately recommendable.

• 17th Jun 2014

Budapest, Hungary

This is a great basis for exploring the Budapest city centre. It's very relaxed and homey. And every night there's something planned. Due to the nature of the places that they'll take you out to on most nights it's mostly only other backpackers that you'll meet. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, but good to know. Most of the people staying at the hostel are solo travellers, so it's very easy to meet up and do stuff together during daytime. Can't wait to come back!

• 12th Jun 2014

Hostel ELF

Prague, Czech Republic

The patio outside the hostel is a really nice place on a warm and sunny day. Especially when the hostel organises a bbq. In sharp contrast to my previous stays at Elf the hostel seemed to die down quite a bit at night. It's probably due to a ban on smoking that Elf has implemented. Instead of having a beer in the common area people now rather go to some bar/club where they don't have to go out into the cold. I'd suggest to allow smoking in the common room after 10pm.

• 3rd May 2014

The MadHouse Prague

Prague, Czech Republic

This is a truely sociable place in the centre of Prague. Staff members are friendly and chatty and definately help maintaining a good backpackers atmosphere in the hostel. Every night they have an activity planned to which most of the guests (20-30) will attend. I do advise against doing the 'drunken monkey' pub crawl though. At 400 korunas it's really overpriced and their selection of bars/clubs was unsuited for people who suffer from agorafobia. Anyone could have done a better job at that.

• 1st May 2014

Cork, Ireland

I was happy to stay here again at the end of my trip around Ireland. The rooms might not be the most comfortable ones (some rooms are just too small and too hot), but it's a hostel where it's very easy to meet people. Either in the bar, or in the kitchen area. Loved it.

• 30th Mar 2014

Ashley Hotel

Cork, Ireland

All the hostels in Cork were booked out for last Saturday, so I had to book a hotel for one night. Ashley hotel was the cheapest place available in the city centre. It was a fine place to crash for the night. I would have preferred to spend less than 60 euros for a bed though.

• 29th Mar 2014

• 27th Mar 2014

Neptunes Town Hostel

Killarney, Ireland

Excellent value for money. Friendly and knowledgeable staff. There is only one internet terminal available and sometimes that one doesn't work. They have a curfew at 3am, but even the night clubs in town close at 2.30am, so that's nothing to worry about. No lockers in the dorms. Good common areas to pass some time in and in general a good atmosphere. All in all a fine hostel to stay at.

• 24th Mar 2014

Sleepzone

Galway, Ireland

The hostel is a little bit too big for my taste, but it's a really nice place to stay at. Comfortable beds, good showers, a big kitchen and lots of common areas to relax in. Staff members are very calm and friendly, even when there's lots of people trying to check in or out at the same time and they always seem happy to answer any questions you might have. With receptionists like Fred and Gaia you're definately going to give people a good first impression of the hostel and of Galway. Thanks!

• 18th Mar 2014

Isaacs Hostel

Dublin, Ireland

It was a fun place to stay at in Dublin. Not outstanding in any way, but just another big hostel with good facilities and good atmosphere. Staff was generally friendly and helpful, except for one guy on the day shift who is very unpleasant and condescending (unless you're a girl). It would have been helpful to have directions towards the hostel on the hostelworld confirmation email (like most hostels have).

• 13th Mar 2014
  • Globetrotter

Thanks for your feedback - we will look at the Hostelworld confirmation to see if we can change to allow directions which is good idea.Sorry to hear that you felt one of our reception team was unhelpful this is really most unusual but we will look into this.

I stayed here mid week early March and I was the only guest in the hostel. It was good to get some quality sleep, but otherwise the hostel felt cold and empty. Staff is only on the premises when the bar is open (6pm till closing time) but they were friendly and accommodating. I would come back here again if I were to return to Dingle.

• 10th Mar 2014

Cork, Ireland

I had a really good weekend in this place. It was packed with a mixture of backpackers, regulars and some stag groups. Every night the bar had something special; a band, a dj or a singer. They also showed all the big football and rugby matches. The hostel itself is not very exciting though. Small rooms with a lot of beds crammed together into them. No lockers available in the dorms. For every single door you'll need your wipe card though, so I suppose it's safe enough.

• 7th Mar 2014

Budapest, Hungary

My hungarian home away from home. Not a hostel, but an apartment with an ever changing group of friends to hang out with, to explore the beautiful city of Budapest with and to have a great night out with. Every single night. They're doing it right here.

• 27th Dec 2013

Hatters on Newton Street

Manchester, England

The beds might not have been the most comfortable ones that I've slept on and the button in the showers needs to be pushed every ten(!) seconds. Add a night warden (Bruno) who was as obstinate as a mule to that and you'll still find me recommending this hostel to everyone who intends to spend a couple of days in Manchester. The common areas are well equipped and are great places to hang out in and to meet people. And Natalia was the best hostess I could have wished for. Thanks a lot guys!

• 13th Nov 2013
  • Globetrotter

Haha, our beds make you a stronger, more learned individual, the shower saves the world that little bit of water, and Bruno....... is a character? A self-willed and determined character, let's leave it at that ;) We're glad you had such an awesome time, and here's to all our guests who can see the brighter side of life :D

Hoax Hostel

Liverpool, England

This is a really nice place, right on top of the Matthew Street/Stanley Street nightlife area. I would recommend it to groups only as it seriously lacks atmosphere to accommodate solo backpackers. It's really hard to meet people because there are basically no good common areas to chill out. Maybe the hostel could organise some daytime or nighttime actvities to enhance interaction amongst their guests.

• 8th Nov 2013
  • Globetrotter

Hi Martin, thanks for your comments! We do have several events on in the week down in The Hatch plus quiznights, band nights and much more in our bar Hopskotch! Our weekends are always super busy with guests at the bar and in the common areas so there's plenty of chances to mingle with other guests. Come back and get yourself down to the Hatch we say! :) thanks Martin - The Hoax Team

Backpackers Newcastle

Newcastle upon Tyne, England

Unlike most English hostels this is a true backpackers hostel and not some budget hotel-like place. Will definately stay here again when I come back to Newcastle.

• 6th Nov 2013

Carpe Noctem Vitae

Budapest, Hungary

A csocso table and a disco shower. What else could a backpacker wish for? C3 cooking pastas or spanking Evil Andrew with a wooden spoon; Dave doing his weekly dregs and Hoops being charming as ever, perhaps? Seriously had a great weekend here. A renegade pub crawl with most of the guys on Friday, a magical bath party on Saturday and a super chill BBQ Sunday. It felt like a privilege to be there.

• 14th Jun 2013

Budapest, Hungary

The other day I had a discussion with someone about returning to the 'real' world after staying in the budapest party hostels for a couple of weeks. In a way it has been sort of unreal to meet such a wonderful gathering of strangers every single day. But it's still reality that it happened every day though. I am grateful to have been part of this family and I'm pretty sure that I'll be back within a year. Thanks to Claudia, Will, Jess and Rikki for running this place and being so accommodating.

• 5th Jun 2013

Balaton Beach House Hostel

Balaton, Hungary

It was an interesting experience. Imagine squatters taking control of a former 4 star hotel that had been abandoned 10 years earlier. The place is most definately haunted. When the weather is bad it's a place where people go to watch Game of Thrones.

• 3rd Jun 2013

Budapest, Hungary

This is where ostensibly amazing people from all over the world meet up. It was another great weekend in Budapest. I can't wait to go back... oh wait, I'm back in Budapest already. I'll leave a proper review next time.

• 31st May 2013

Hostel ELF

Prague, Czech Republic

I stayed at the hostel for the Easter weekend and had a great time. I've stayed at hostel Elf before and was surprised to see that a lot of renovation has been done. Wipe cards to open the dorms, new carpets in the hallways, new lockers that fit a backpack, new showers. And still providing a free breakfast in the morning and coffee and tea all day. I wish that more hostels would be like Elf!

• 29th Mar 2013
  • Globetrotter

Martin, thanks a lot for really nice comment !! Good to know that someone see the changes ...-) Take care..

Carpe Noctem Vitae

Budapest, Hungary

Good hostel, excellent location, very clean and secure. With that being said this hostel is in my opinion more suited for groups than for backpackers. A strict 9pm noise curfew is ridiculously randomly maintained (or not maintained) and the hostel has a strong 'busabout' kind of atmosphere to it (it's not the most sociable place). The pub crawls and the bath party that the hostel organised (together with three other hostels) were great fun. I reckon I'll be back in Budapest soon.

• 25th Mar 2013

Budapest, Hungary

Had a great stay. As always. Nr 1 backpackershostel in the world if you ask me. Many thanks to Joel, Claudia, Clemens, Scotty, Rikki and Shorty. See you again in summer!

• 20th Mar 2013

Lollipop Hostel

Maribor, Slovenia

This is a nice small (14 bed) hostel very close the the Maribor railway station. At check-in June provided a map and gave me lots of recommendations on what to see, do, eat and drink in Maribor.

• 15th Mar 2013
  • Globetrotter

Had a great time here. Salzburg is a beautiful city and the bar/restaurant is the perfect place to meet other backpackers. During the happy hours (6-7pm and 10-11pm) they serve pints of local beer for 2 euro's. Both bar staff and reception staff were really friendly and helpful. I will definately come back some day.

hi there. thanks for the great feedback. all the best and save travells :)

Balmers Herberge

Interlaken, Switzerland

This was the second time that I have stayed in Balmers. Interlaken is beautiful and so is the hostel. In the weekends the hostel fills up and the club in the basement opens up. Lots of locals come and visit that place. During the week the place is very quiet, which makes it perfect to get some rest. Some good restaurants and an Irish pub are just nextdoors. Staff was very friendly and helped me finding a dentist when I was in the unfortunate situation of needing one. I will be back for sure!

• 9th Mar 2013
  • Globetrotter

Thank you for the nice review, hope you are feeling better! We look forward to welcoming you back!

Cool & Bed

Lyon, France

Definately a hostel that I would like to return to. Beds, lockers, showers, breakfast, internet, kitchen. All essentials were fine and the staff was welcoming and friendly. It is located about 15-20 minutes on foot from the city centre. That's no problem, because it's a nice walk along the river to get there.

• 7th Mar 2013

Hello Marseille Hostel

Marseille, France

I had a great stay in this small hostel in Marseille. They're working on expanding the sanitary facilities to make it even better. Awesome vibe induced by enthousiastic staff members who were available all day every day. Many thanks to Eugene, Julien, Samwise and the girls. I'll try to come back in summer!

• 4th Mar 2013
  • Globetrotter

It's a big hostel on the northeastern side of Paris. Because of its size it's not the kind of hostel that I usually prefer. Everything was really clean and well organised. I had a good time there. I would come back if I decided to visit Paris again.

• 1st Mar 2013
  • Globetrotter

Hey, Your review and comments are very much appreciated so thank you for the effort of doing this. It's great that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that we were able to surprise you by making it a great stay in such a large hostel. Come back to stay again anytime, we always want guests coming back Cheers, St Christopher's Inn Paris Canal

Backpackers Newcastle

Newcastle upon Tyne, England

I really enjoyed my stay in this hostel. It's located just outside the city centre, but only a 10 to 15 minutes walk away from pretty much anything you'll want to see in Newcastle. The dorms and showers were clean and comfortable. Thank you Damon, Aga and Chester. Do widzenia!

• 15th Nov 2012
  • Globetrotter

thanx Martin, you are welcome any time my friend

Euro Hostel Glasgow

Glasgow, Scotland

Massive hostel in an old and run down building. Elevators seemed to have problems every day (6th floor means you'll get lots of exercise). Showers and cleanliness are pretty bad. Receptionists are very friendly and helpful, but management doesn't seem to care about customer satisfaction. Complaints were waived or went unanswered. Quite noisy and games of 'musical beds' at night. Definately one the worst hostels I've ever stayed at. I consider myself lucky for not getting bitten by bedbugs here.

• 9th Nov 2012

Caledonian Backpackers

Edinburgh, Scotland

It's a big hostel with many long-term guests staying there. In spite of its size the hostel manages to maintain a good backpackers atmosphere where it's easy to meet people. The common areas are nice and spacious and computers and internet are always available. A fine breakfast is served till almost noon. Staff is available at bar and reception and might help you when you ask them. I got put in a mixed dorm instead of a male dorm, the next receptionist promptly fixed that mistake though.

• 5th Nov 2012