The Pelican Larry Hostel

Cali, Colombia

All staff is really friendly and helpful. The facilities are relatively good but they have to do something about the bathroom on the upper floor which has no door to the corridor and the inside doors are flimsy and remind be of primary school - absolutely no privacy!

Dreamkapture Hostal

Guayaquil, Ecuador

The hostel staff is friendly and helpful. The area is quite safe and there is not too much traffic in the little street. It's not close to the city center, but the information how to get there by bus is really good. A Laundry is at the same street, local food very close by and food plazas at the shopping malls nearby. The only problem for me is the lack of respect of some travelers sharing the dormitory, but a private room was too expensive for me as a solo traveler.

Hostal Hogar Cuencano

Cuenca, Ecuador

The hosts are really warm and welcoming and they also give good information about how to reach certain places. The location is excellent, just on the edge of the historical center. Rooms were cleaned every day which is not common in hostels, and the nights were quiet with an excellent sleeping quality.

La Casa del Molino Blanco

Banos, Ecuador

The hostel is located in a dead end street and therefore really quiet. The owners are friendly and helpful, breakfast is great value with home made bread and jam and different extras every day. After breakfast the well equipped kitchen is at disposal for the guests. Everything at this hostel looks new and it's probably the cleanest place I've seen in South America. My single room was nice and cozy.

Thank you very much my dear friend, was a pleasure to serve you and have you as a guest in my little Inn. I hope life gives us the opportunity to meet again, thanks for your nice comments and suggestions help us improve our service every day to every traveler visiting us.

Hostal La Posada Colonial

Quito, Ecuador

The hostel has an excellent location just 5 minutes walk from La Ronda. It`s on a dead end street and therefore has no traffic noise during the night, but occasionally some drunk people may pass by. Being in Quito during the low season there were not many people at the hostel. Only one employee seems to be in charge of everything, day and night. He was pleasant and helpful.

Hostal Laskar

San Pedro de Atacama, Chile

The staff was really friendly and welcoming and the courtyard a nice and cozy place to hang around. This was one of the cheapest hostels in San Pedro but after Peru and Bolivia prices in Chile are quite a shock. 2 bathrooms/showers are not enough; many guests go on one of the early morning tours and had to line up.

Hostal Eucalyptus

Potosi, Bolivia

The hostel is clean and the staff very helpful and friendly. The hot showers worked well which was important as it was cold and rainy. Breakfast was also very good. WiFi worked well at certain hours of the day. The food at Candelaria Cafe (recommended as it belongs to the same family as the hostel) was very nice and cheap with huge portions.

Traveler's Guesthouse

Sucre, Bolivia

Good location close to the city center but in a quiet street next to Bolivar Park. Oscar was very friendly and helpful, open to every request. The kitchen was well furnished and both kitchen and bathrooms were thoroughly cleaned every morning, unfortunately not all guest respect this. I had a single room and was totally satisfied with my stay at Traveler's Guesthouse and think it's good value for money.

Cruz de los Andes

La Paz, Bolivia

I loved the mural paintings throughout the hotel and in my room. The location is ideal, very close to the city center but in a quiet side street with little traffic. Staff is very friendly, the internet connection and the hot showers worked well and breakfast was very good. My room had a little balcony with wrought iron reeling; my suggestion: put 2 chairs out there.

Hotel Utama

Copacabana, Bolivia

The hotel is very welcoming with its vast lobby and free drinks and sweets available all day. Rooms are well appointed and clean. The location in a side street makes the hotel very quiet, although it's only 5 minutes walk to the busy street leading down to the beach where all the bars, restaurants, travel agencies and shops are. Breakfast was very good and the staff extremely friendly and helpful.

Mountbatten Hotel

Sydney, Australia

There were some misunderstandings concerning our bookings, but the manager (or owner) tried hard to accommodate us. Unfortunately on our 2nd stay I was given a bed with a broken ladder (it had already been broken a week before) and my friend was supposed to stay in a mixed dormitory. Because our complaints were justified we were reimbursed without problem. The hostel has a good location and is for Australian standards cheap, but I recommend to put a couple of dollars more and stay at YHA

• 22nd Nov 2012