U-Baan Guesthouse

Bangkok, Thailand

Everyone who visits Bangkok should stay at U-Baan, great atmosphere, nice people, fantastic local food close by plus Joy is super helpful and knows everything about the city.

If you don't mind the lack of atmosphere this place is fantastic value for money, you get hotel facilities and huge buffet breakfast all for $5 a night. Strangely, if you stay for longer than 7 days the price rises to $10. Took me a while to work out why this would be but am fairly sure it's so they can get backpackers in and then sell them tours at overinflated prices so if you're planning to do Ha Long/Sapa definitely worth shopping around before buying from reception. Would still recommend.

Sunflower Hotel Hoi An

Hoi An, Vietnam

$10 is quite expensive for a dorm room but the epic buffet breakfast goes a long way to making up for that. It's quite a big place and lacks that intimate hostel vibe. As it is the main place for backpackers in Hoi An there were lots of groups of gap year kids constantly talking about how drunk they got last night which isn't really my thing. On the plus side the dorm was clean, air con is decent and each bed has a locker. It's a pleasant 15mins walk from the old town.so free exercise too.

My My Arthouse

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

I think I stayed here for over a month in total. Firstly, Kim is wonderful! He was always cheerful, friendly and very helpful. I didn't give 100% for staff however as if Kim is not there then the family who own the place can sometimes be rather unwelcoming. Other than that the place is great value for money, the dorms all have fridges and TVs and are kept very clean. The location is great, just back off the main streets, and the surrounding alleys are full of people selling fantastic food.

The White Rabbit

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Very decent hostel. Stayed in A/C dorm twice for ten days in total. It's very clean, big comfy beds, good a/c, lockers, staff are friendly and helpful, area is nice with lots of cheap places to eat very close by, walking distance of Royal Palace and S21 museum, Would stay here again.

The Siem Reap Hostel

Siem Reap, Cambodia

Very flash hostel, has nice bar and a pool. Dorms was clean with good A/C, wifi and security. Shower was excellent.

Thanks for the kind words & glad you enjoyed your stay here. I see you score us a little lower for value - we reckon the dorms are the best around for $6 a night, a range of cheap options on the menu & 50c beers from 5-8pm- Value we think! I would encourage reviewers who've enjoyed the Hostel to maybe consider that scoring us anything below our current scoring will lower our ranking & anything above will raise it - after all, why do we chose where we stay as travellers? All the best. ;-)

U-Baan Guesthouse

Bangkok, Thailand

I really liked this hostel, the dorm I stayed in was clean, A/Ced with locker, pretty comfy bed and good wifi. Joy is very helpful and even fixed my sunglasses that I had sat on in Koh Tao. Also, the neighbourhood is not full of tourists, which was bliss after staying on the islands for a few weeks. Would/will definitely stay here again next time I'm in Bangkok.

Spicytao Backpackers

Koh Tao, Thailand

Great place, very lively, short walk from the beach, maybe 10mins. Clean dorm with AC, lockers and shower for 250 baht was really good value.

Hostel New King

New Delhi, India

I stayed at New King for a few days when I first got to Delhi. The manager was very helpful and allowed me to change rooms as my first room was a bit noisy. The place was a little difficult to find at first and the area can be very lively especially if this is your first stop in India. Overall though definitely one of the better hostels I stayed at while in India, the room was big and clean, the location is central and near to the station, and price was very reasonable.

Mansour Hotel

Amman, Jordan

The good first: the place is cheap (especially considering breakfast is included) and conveniently located in the centre of Amman, the manager was helpful and knowledgeable (although the chain smoking can get a bit much if you're a non smoker) and there is a smallish common area with free tea and decent wifi. The not so good: this place needs a major refurb, the dorm was pretty manky and the bathroom even worse. All that said, I could have left but stayed three nights because of the price.

Dahab Dorms

Dahab, Egypt

Mostly great, has the best facilities of any hostel I've stayed in as you are staying in a larger resort, staff are very helpful and friendly and the location is fantastic. Not so great were the bugs (which survived the dorm being fumigated) and the atmosphere which was a little more expat/package holiday than traditional backpacker hostel. Overall great place though, especially at the price.

Great place with a really welcoming atmosphere, Maria, Sayed and the staff are fantastic! Would definitely stay here again if in Luxor.

Dina's Hostel

Cairo, Egypt

Really enjoyed my stay at Dina's. Great location in Downtown, wonderful staff who know the city, cheap, wifi throughout, large common area, free breakfast, the list goes on..... Sad to be moving on after something like twelve days here. You should stay here if you're coming to Cairo!

Cheers Hostel

Istanbul, Turkey

Nice bar, friendly and helpful staff, comfy beds, near to the main sites, would definitely recommend if you're in Istanbul.

The Cozyness Downtown Hostel

Bucharest, Romania

Definitely up there with the best. Marius makes you feel so welcome the experience is more like staying in the apartment of an old friend rather than in a typical hostel. Great location and facilities too.

Freeborn Hostel

Timisoara, Romania

Awesome hostel. The owner, Raul, is a great guy and really makes you feel welcome. The beds are very comfy and the atmosphere was so good in the hostel and the in the town (helped by some epic snowfall and accompanying hot wine) that I ended up extending my stay. Would definitely recommend if you're staying in Timisoara.

Green Studio Hostel

Belgrade, Serbia

I love this hostel. Originally booked in for two days but think I finally stayed for around ten. Great atmosphere even in the 'off season', communal area is perfect size for meeting people, free Rakija, helpful and knowledgeable staff, fourth night free = one very satisfied backpacker. Hope to visit again one day.

Hostel Blues

Bratislava, Slovakia

Great hostel. Very central location, friendly and helpful staff, clean and modern facilities, Would highly recommend.

Czech Inn

Prague, Czech Republic

Really nice hostel and definitely the first time I've ever stayed in a hostel room with a chandelier in it. Stayed in November so was fairly quiet which suited me.