Reviews: ashleybalisky7641

Location: Canada, Gender: Female, Age: 25

Kick Ass Hostels

Edinburgh, Scotland

My second time in Edinburgh, I will definitely be back to stay at Kickass! Fantastic location and amazing staff. Super clean. My only real issue was that there was no water pressure in the showers during my last couple days, but meh, I was in EDINBURGH for the FRINGE FESTIVAL, nothing else really mattered.

• 15th Aug 2014
  • Globetrotter

My favourite hostel to stay at in London. I lived outside of London for 8 months and spent most weekends in the city and have stayed at most hostels in London. But the Rose and Crown is my FAVOURITE! Fantastic location, amazing breakfast, friendly and helpful staff, and the beds are dreamy. It can be a little bit nosier at night as it is a more central location, but I always found I slept better with a bit of noise. The bathrooms are the only area I would suggest improving, but overall good

• 8th Aug 2014
  • Globetrotter

This is probably one of the best hostels in London. It is super clean. Comfortable beds. Decent breakfast. My biggest issue with this hostel is the location which can be a bit sketchy late at night and the fact that they more often than not accommodate large school trips which can be a downer when you want to meet fellow travellers. It is a very good price for London hostels.

• 2nd Aug 2014

Clink261

I have stayed in many many hostels, most of them in London. While the location of Clink is hard to beat because it is so close to King's Cross and thus easily connected throughout the city, it is difficult to get a good night's sleep in the Clink hostels. While 261 is the quieter or the duo, those sardine-like bunk beds and extremely cramped rooms feel chaotic.

• 28th Jun 2014

Bath YMCA

Bath, England

This was not a terrible hostel. It was my first YMCA stay, so maybe that's why things were a little different than I am used to in a regular hostel. It was definitely not the best hostel I have stayed in, but since there are so few in Bath, it was a fine place to stay. Nothing special, usually older men sitting around watching public access, but hey, it's the YMCA.

• 20th Jun 2014

The Horse & Stables

One of the best hostels to stay at in London. Excellent value for your money. Wonderfully friendly staff, great breakfast, wonderful atmosphere, great price, great location.

• 14th Jun 2014

Kipps Brighton

Brighton, England

I came to Brighton for the weekend of my birthday and I specifically stayed at KIpps (and even paid more than other hostels) because it had such great reviews. I was very disappointed with it. Yes, great location, but the staff wasn't overly friendly, there was no atmosphere, and the rooms were extremely overcrowded.

• 6th Jun 2014

Astor Hyde Park

Not the greatest hostel I have stayed in. But the location cannot be beat if you are interested in the museums of London. Many of the great ones are just around the corner.

• 24th May 2014
  • Globetrotter

One of the best hostels I have stayed in. The staff is absolutely the best! They are always very personable and available to offer any information. The breakfast is unreal! I have never seen such an abundance of food-- they offered soy milk, this NEVER happens in hostels. Thank you!! The only 'issue' is that there was often a wait for the bathroom as there was only a couple in the hostel.

• 16th May 2014

Caledonian Backpackers

Edinburgh, Scotland

The staff was really helpful and friendly from the moment I checked in. They were very accommodating when I had some issues with my room one night. Swapped me rooms without any hesitation. Good atmosphere. The bathrooms could have been cleaner and a bit bigger, mornings in the lady's rooms were very crowded. But overall, not the worst. Location was okay, but the city is small enough so it is easy to walk everywhere even if the hostel is a bit further from the centre of town.

• 4th May 2014

Clink78

I had heard a lot of bad things about Clink 78 and was hesitant to stay there, but I was pleasantly surprised. King's Cross is a good location to get around throughout London, so that is nice. When I checked in, the staff seemed to be having a bad day and were not the most pleasant- they didn't give the information for wifi or really offer to introduce me to the hostel or the city. It wasn't a huge deal for me because I am in London every weekend, but if this was a first trip, I would be mad.

• 26th Apr 2014

Jacobs Inn

Dublin, Ireland

Bit frustrating coming to a hostel and it is FILLED with school groups or teams that overrun the entire place. This was my experience at Jacobs. The staff was really nice and very helpful.

• 18th Apr 2014
  • Globetrotter

So sorry we had so many student groups staying while you were here. There are certain times of the year when student groups travel and unfortunately you experienced one of them.

The Walrus Hostel

The staff here is the best! They are all so friendly and welcoming. It feels like you are hanging out with old friends when you are at the Walrus. It is so easy to make friends here. Awesome location. The bathrooms are not the greatest. And while my room was great, I have been told that some of the rooms are quite bad. But no complaints from me.

• 29th Mar 2014
  • Globetrotter

They are ALWAYS cleaning the bathrooms. Which is such a nice treat for hostels. You never have to worry about getting into a shower that's filled with hair and grime from the last 8 people. Please keep this great work up. Staff is always very friendly and helpful. The only downside is it's. Bit far from Central London. But way better than other hostels in London. Near two tube lines and great bus service makes it easy to get around.

• 28th Feb 2014

Travel Joy Hostels Chelsea

Of all the hostels I have stayed in, by far the most uncomfortable beds. I don't think I have ever actually felt springs quite like that in my back all night. And there were far too many beds for the size and layout of the room. That being said, excellent staff, great atmosphere, fantastic breakfast, awesome central location to London.

• 15th Feb 2014

St Christopher's Greenwich

I have stayed in many hostels in London, and many St. Christopher's throughout Europe. The more I seem to stay at them, the more I am disappointed. The have a good bar atmosphere, but they seem to forget that they are a hostel first and a bar second. It's disappointing when you have to wait for the customer to stop flirting with the bartender / reception so you can check in. Unacceptable. It's a great location in Greenwich, so it was fine for my quick weekend away, but too far from the city

• 8th Feb 2014

MEININGER London Hyde Park

I live outside of London so I often come in for the weekends. I do not require much from the hostels that I stay at, but it was definitely a very knowledgeable staff- very welcoming and helpful when I did have questions. Good location for some great museums. I will be staying here again.

• 1st Feb 2014
  • Globetrotter

Dear, thank you for your feedback! See you again soon.Cheers from Meininger London

The Garden Backpacker

Seville, Spain

Not the greatest hostel I've ever stayed in. It was pretty good though. More or less clean. Pretty good facilities. The real selling feature was the incredibly friendly staff. They welcomed you and bid you farewell like friends. Which is a nice change from chain hostels. They offered great suggestions which was also very nice. The atmosphere created with the free sangria each evening is also pleasing.

• 30th Jun 2013

Porto Spot Hostel

Porto, Portugal

Fantastic hostel. One of the best I've stayed in. The staff really make a difference. Their intern was much to be desired though. Other than her, the staff was fantastic. They make it a ton of fun to stay here. And the boys aren't too hard on the eyes either. ;) I would however suggest finding a different walking tour company. It was absolutely terrible. Not worth the money for the walking tour or the wine tour. The guide was incompetent.

• 19th Jun 2013

Goodmorning Lisbon Hostel

Lisbon, Portugal

There's a reason why this hostel has such high ratings. They are simply the best. They have managed to strike the perfect balance in every aspect of hostel life. There is a great atmosphere without a party being forced when you want a night off. The staff is friendly and social but everyone is not trying to sleep with you. It has a great location but its still quiet enough to get a good nights sleep. The breakfast is large and delicious but there is no hidden charge for it. It's clean. The best.

• 14th Jun 2013

U Hostels

Madrid, Spain

Definitely one of the best hostels I've stayed at. I cancelled my booking at another hostel in Madrid, because this one was so good. Location was a bit further from the centre, but still walkable. So clean. And the staff was the best. Can't wait to go back.

• 13th Jun 2013

Makuto Backpackers Hostel

Granada, Spain

The location was fine if you wanted to be in that area of town. But there was literally dog shit on every street. It would be a great hostel if you wished to get high all hours of the day. But if you didn't then there was no where to hang out and avoid that atmosphere. The beds were horrendous. Three-tiered bunk beds that felt like you were in a coffin. 6 bed dorm with 2 of these bunk beds in a tiny room was too much. Too stuffy, nowhere to put your stuff. Awful.

• 10th Jun 2013
  • Globetrotter

Dear guest, we are very sorry that your experience at Makuto was not satisfactory. There is not much we can do about dog shit in the neighborhood. Inside the hostel we have many outside areas for guess to hang out (patio, hammocks, chill out, tree house, kitchen,...) so it sounds strange that you could not find anyplace to do so. Maybe you were looking for a more standard factory hostel. Hope you enjoy the rest of your trip though.

The staff was really nice. And it had a good atmosphere. But oif you were not interested in getting wasted every night, then this isn't the place for you. It would be so loud all day, everyday. If you wanted a day to relax and recoup, you couldn't. But it was clean, and had a nice breakfast (for a fee). Avhuge issue for me was the rooftop terrace that was advertised for guests. It was a local hangout and any attempt to go up there you felt like you weren't supposed to be there. Not cool

• 6th Jun 2013
  • Globetrotter

I liked the several little common room areas. The staff was very friendly. The breakfast was not the greatest. But it was very close to the market filled with delicious fresh food. So go there instead. An hour walk to the beach, but they were one of the nicest I've been to in Spain. But right in the city Center.

• 3rd Jun 2013

Itaca Hostel

Barcelona, Spain

It was a pretty good hostel. Not the greatest by far. But the location is really what sold me. The staff wasn't the greatest. The rooms were cramped!! Not even enough space to walk around with that many people in the room. You would be advised to cram less people in the rooms, the prices are already high enough for what you offer.

• 1st Jun 2013

Hello Marseille Hostel

Marseille, France

I stayed here before, a couple weeks ago. The staff was much friendly. There was more atmosphere. Definitely not the same. Probably wouldn't have stayed here again if I would have known it was going to be like this. Overpriced for what you get. They 'do' your laundry. Only I had to remind staff on several occasions before they actually put it in. Not because they were busy, just forgot. When it was returned barely before my departure my clothes were still wet. Not impressed.

• 31st May 2013
  • Globetrotter

This is probably one of the best hostels in Paris. But that is not to be taken as a compliment. Parisian hostels are awful, so being the 'best' doesn't actually mean quality in the grand hostel world scheme of things. I have stayed in many, many hostels, several st Chris'. This is one of the worst in that chain. The location is nice along the river, but the neighbourhood is sketchy, the staff are not helpful. It's fine if you want to see Paris 'on a budget', but I will not be doing it again.

• 29th May 2013
  • Globetrotter

It's a hostel in Paris. So it's overpriced and in a bad part of town. And they know that people will still stay there because they want to go to Paris. They take advantage of that. The only staff member who was 'friendly' was extremely creepy and making myself and other female guests uncomfortable. And the rooms were freezing. Was unable to sleep all night because of how cold it was.

Cool & Bed

Lyon, France

Matthew was very nice. Other than that, the staff was not impressive. The bathrooms are a walk through the bar. Which is not ideal, but I've stayed in hostels like that. Except that locals hang out here. So you have to traipse through a crowd of locals to take a shower at night. The hostel is not big enough to accommodate both the amount of people they have crammed in there and the locals in the bar/ common room. Not okay. Either run a hostel or a bar. Not both.

• 23rd May 2013

Sidsmums Travellers Retreat

Carcassonne, France

Best "hostel" stay ever. I will be back soon for another relaxing getaway in the French countryside. My only warning to backpackers is that the bus to Preixan is a bit unreliable. It's more of an ideal stay for someone with a car or taking a taxi.

• 21st May 2013

Pop' Hostel

Avignon, France

This hostel was clean. It was close to everything (it's Avignon, so everywhere is close to everything). The staff when I arrived was good- giving me recommendations of things to do, places to eat. The staff later on was not as friendly. Not rude or anything, just not the friendliest. I'd probably still stay here though.

• 19th May 2013

Hello Marseille Hostel

Marseille, France

Good hostel. Close to the port. Clean. Comfortable. Staff was nice.

• 17th May 2013

Hostel Meyerbeer Beach

Nice, France

This hostel accommodates too many people for the size of it. Rooms are cramped. There was no place to leave your bag except in the middle of the floor and in everyone's way. Breakfast in the common area was always jammed packed. It's one thing to be social and sit with strangers, it's another thing to have to sit on their lap. Wifi was non existent. The only place I could get it to work was on the stairs - in everyone's way. Again. That being said, not an entirely bad hostel.

• 15th May 2013

Seven Hostel

Sorrento, Italy

Though this hostel was not in sorrento (a half hour walk), I loved this location. But for those looking for someplace in sorrento and is unwilling to walk, this isn't the place for you. I however loved that it was out of the way and in a quieter town. It's so so so clean! Bunks were catered to backpackers. Lights, outlets, a SIDETABLE with DRAWER at every bunk. I'm constantly worrying about rolling over on my glasses at night, but not here! Thank you!

• 12th May 2013
  • Globetrotter

The security at this hostel was good. The location on the other hand was not. I would not stay here again because of where it was located. I went to get dinner one night and I made it a block or two before I walked back. Single female back packing alone in Naples attempting to go out at night is not great, this neighbourhood definitely was not. There are other hostels in the centre of town that are still just as reasonably priced. The rooms were clean but the bathrooms were awful.

• 11th May 2013
  • Globetrotter

In the sketchiest part of town. I did not feel safe coming back at night. The worst part is, is that the staff was borderline creepier than all the people at termini station at 2 am. I should not feel unsafe staying in my hostel because the staff makes me uncomfortable- Nas to be exact. Far, far too expensive for the location and what it offered. Breakfast at an additional charge, that was awful. The coin thing the bar left me out of money when I left, because it was in these stupid coins.

• 5th May 2013

Hostel Pisa

Pisa, Italy

Cheap hostel. So I got what I paid for. There was however a nail clipping in one of my blankets. Not impressed. Close to the train station but far from the centre. Not so bad because pisa is small.

• 3rd May 2013

Ostello Gallo D'Oro

Florence, Italy

Wonderful hostel. The staff was wonderful. Fresh cappuccinos made for me when I came for breakfast. And endless refills. Staff was very friendly. Awesome breakfast spread. Cleaning staff was fantastic. They re-made my bed everyday!! How nice. I will be back.

• 28th Apr 2013
  • Globetrotter

First off. They advertise it as a party hostel. It's not. I didn't need a party every night but I needed a little atmosphere. A little something. It was cheap and close to the beach and they served a good breakfast. There are no plugins anywhere!!! It was ridiculous. And no ladder for the bunkbeds. Be real people. You're running a hostel. You have to think about these things.

• 24th Apr 2013
  • Globetrotter

I am very sorry that you had your reservation moved to the City hostel that is not as party as the Sunflower Beach hostel and it was raining during your stay. We had just open on the 24th of April, the day you arrived and there wasn't much going on and little guest. The plugins are near the lockers and the ladder is built-in at the end of the bed, I am sorry you didn't find them and didn't ask us at reception. I can guarantee if you come back now that we are more busy you will have good time.

Il Nosadillo

Bologna, Italy

The place was nice enough. The staff however was nonexistent. Disappointed because I'd heard such good things about this hostel but it didn't deliver. Was given a good map and good a few good recommendations at check in but was thinking it was going to be different. My mistake.

• 20th Apr 2013

The Silk Road

Venice, Italy

I LOVED this location. It was away from the big crowds but still had a beautiful view and neighbourhood. Great for afternoon naps. The directions on how to find it however were less than ideal. I was lost for 2 hours carting my luggage around before I finally got on a water bus. Staff was nice. But nothing special. It was clean and a great location and the rooms were spacious. And a good value for how expensive everything is in Venice.

• 16th Apr 2013

Ostello Bello

Milan, Italy

I've stayed in other hostels in Milan before and ostello bello is by far the best. I will be back to stay next time I'm in Milan.

• 13th Apr 2013

Residenza Muropadri

Verona, Italy

It was fine. Clean enough. Not in the centre of town like advertised, but still a short enough walk to everything. No wifi was a pain. Quiet and cosy, like I had my ow apartment. Not a social atmosphere by any means. But a fine place to stay in Verona.

• 13th Apr 2013

Hostel Galla

Milan, Italy

Most of the staff were kind. There was absolutely no atmosphere at this hostel. Beds were clean which was the only redeeming quality. Far away from everything and I later found out it was in a bad part of town. So I never left at night. Extremely overpriced for what they offered.

• 9th Apr 2013
  • Globetrotter

Dishes were never clean in the kitchen/ bar. Not for breakfast, not when you bought food throughout the day. Which was disappointing. If you didn't make it to breakfast first thing in the morning, it was never replenished. The location wasn't the greatest either. But it was clean. And the staff was really, really friendly and helpful.

• 2nd Dec 2012

St Christopher's Berlin

Berlin, Germany

I've stayed at st Christopher's in Bruges, Prague, Berlin, and am currently staying in Paris. Berlin was awful. One of the worst hostels I've stayed in. Their only concern was the bar. You could hear the noise from the bar all night in the rooms. I happened to arrive at happy hour and they rushed through me like I was another local ordering a beer. If you want to stay at a hostel who's first concern is the bar and NOT the hostel. This is your place. Unless you got breakfast at 8, you got scraps.

• 30th Nov 2012
  • Globetrotter

Hello Ashley, we are sorry to hear that your Experience with us what not what you expected! All Hostels of St. Christophers come with a Pub (Belushis) and that is what St. Christophers is popular for - and Berlin, too. We are very upset to read that you think it´s only about the Bar! We don´t want to give that Impression, because we don´t think that way! If you have any other suggestions please contact us! We are very curious for your Opinion as it is the best Way to improve! Kind Regards from the Berlin Receotion Team.

Mosquito Hostel

Krakow, Poland

AMAZING HOSTEL! The best hostel I've stayed at in two months. Staff was extremely friendly and helpful (but not too friendly sleeping with everyone like other hostels) small, so it felt like hanging out at a friends house. Planned activities and outings and discounts on tours were sooo wonderful! I lost my headband and emailed them when I left and they searched several times for it for me. Now THAT is a GREAT hostel! Will be back and will tell everyone about it!

• 26th Nov 2012
  • Globetrotter

Thank you so much for your awesome review. We are glad to hear you had a good time with us. Spread the good word about Krakow, Poland and visit us again in summer. Check our facebook and google + for latest photos and info have a happy travel

St Christophers Prague

Prague, Czech Republic

The CLEANEST hostel I've stayed in! I've stayed in hotels that have been worse. Excellent hostel. Friendly. Great location. CLEAN. Comfortable beds. Bar close enough, but far enough away that you don't hear the live band in your room. So you can have fun and still have a great nights sleep. Other hostel claim to have this, but I am yet to find one that accomplishes it so well. Not as charming as other smaller hostels I've stayed in, but will still be back!

• 22nd Nov 2012
  • Globetrotter

Thanks for your awesome review!! We hope to see you when you're back in Prague!! /Management

Carpe Noctem

Budapest, Hungary

I'll start with the hostel was clean and the staff were extremely friendly. Went through a detailed map of Budapest upon arrival which was great. Helpful. That being said. It was like staying at a frat house. But showing up and you don't know anyone but everyone else is best friends. So there's that. And the fact that everyone sleeps with everyone and you don't get any sleep as a result. So if that's what you're looking for, it's the place for you.

• 18th Nov 2012

Ostello Bello

Milan, Italy

This is the best hostel in Milan for a reason. One of the best hostels in Europe. I've stayed here several times. And really the only downside I think is it is beginning to cater more to locals than to guests. It's such a local hotspot I think it's hard to maintain that great guest experience that you get in other hostels. But it's still the best. And I will be back.

• 5th Nov 2012

Youthhostel Zermatt

Zermatt, Switzerland

It wasn't a hostel that had the greatest character. So if that's your thing it's probably not the place for you. It was the place for a quiet, relaxing time in the alps. Would recommend to everyone who goes to Zermatt. Staff was friendly. Easy to find. It seems pricey, but you got a big breakfast AND dinner. So definitely worth the extra cost when you work in spending money on food in Switzerland, A LOT CHEAPER. Definitely go see the Matterhorn while you're there. Pricey, but soo worth it!

• 4th Nov 2012

Abhostel

Antwerp, Belgium

Bridget and Greg were wonderful! It felt like coming home to mom and dad's place, or a cool aunt and uncle. Extremely friendly. Wifi was much to be desired. And the breakfast wasn't the greatest. It basically consisted of toast unless you went to the store to purchase your own food. Buuuuut it was nice that it was an open kitchen and you had the option to cook whatever you like. We just weren't prepared for that. Neighbourhood was much to be desired.

• 24th Oct 2012