Location: Australia,

Capitol City Hostel

Washington DC, USA

Very homely hostel, makes you very comfortable. Bill obviously works very hard and cares a lot about providing a good service to all guests. If you are looking for a home away from home where you can be independent, this is your place. I came here after a hectic week or two and it was just what I needed for some R&R.

• 11th Apr 2013

The New York Loft Hostel

New York, USA

A newly decorated hostel that feels organised and funky. Location is OK if you want to live and party around Brooklyn, however its a bit daunting getting there from other areas like Manhattan. Don't let that put you off though. Has one of the greatest breakfast spreads I've ever seen at a hostel, and for free. Fresh fruit, waffles, cereal, and more. Staff are good but really take their time checking people in and out, so give yourself some extra time if you've got a deadline to make.

• 10th Apr 2013

Discovery Melbourne

Melbourne, Australia

The rooms are quite basic and smelt a bit like a 24 hour gym (very sweaty). The cleaners were maybe a bit slack as well, the soap dispenser in the bathroom was sitting unchanged for the whole time we were there (4 days). Also the no alcohol and no guest policy in the rooms was a bit of a drag. Apart from that the vibe is pretty good; there's a nice little cafe and hangout area where a lot of people lounge around. The staff seem to be friendly and there's a bar downstairs where events are held.

• 15th Nov 2012

Hi Luke, Many thanks for your comments. I am glad that you have noticed all the free events, our bar, and the awesome cafe. There is a pretty good vibe down there. Since your stay we have been in the process of totally restructuring the housekeeping and the way we approach cleaning. We are totally keen to make sure that we are a clean hostel. Changes like this are difficult but I am sure that we will come our a better hostel and our guests will win in the end. That is our goal. Thanks, Matt Butta GM