Reviews: jgm1961

Location: USA, Gender: Male, Age: 53

Santiago Backpackers

Santiago, Chile

The staff was superb, very friendly and helpful. The showers were hot, the commodes clean, and the sinks convenient. The dorms were in good order with good lockers. The location was within 10 minutes of a Metro station, and within walking distance of Plaza de Armas, the Cathedral, and some museums. Restaurants and cafés abound. A good, safe area to have as a base in Santiago.

Discovery Hostel

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Safe, convenient location (Metro & grocery within 125 meters, ATM across the street, Santa Teresa neighborhood about a 15-minute walk). Great staff (yes, I'm talking about you Michelle, Zion, Alex & Enrique!) & very comfortable common area. Also, Discovery is a very clean hostel. This is a very good place to land in Rio, as it's not a party hostel, but a lot of quality people come to stay there.

Girassol Hostel

Sao Paulo, Brazil

Here are my thoughts: Manager: Lucas is the best! Great person, multilingual, knows how to treat people, & bends over backward. Shower: Hot & good stream. Location: 10-15 minute walk to Metro Station (Vila Madalena). Security: Secure hostel. Very safe neighborhood, day & night. Breakfasts: Options are limitless. A variety of fruit, eggs, & veggies await the guest in the fridge. Neighborhood: Grocery store across the street, numerous restaurants, shops, convenience stores, etc. nearby.

Ecopackers

Cusco, Peru

Hot showers, helpful staff, good travel bureau, comfy, warm beds. The only problem is the creaky wooden floors. It's hard to sleep with someone walking n them.

Hostel is in a grand old building. It's a well-run place with friendly staff. There were enough bathrooms and hot showers. I was happy with my stay there.

Travellers Inn

Quito, Ecuador

Great location within minutes of everything, and plenty of bus lines within walking distance. Travellers is very clean and charming. Plenty of restaurants and enchanting places within a short walk. Hot water is abundant. This is a safe and comfortable place to stay.

Hostal Real

Cartagena, Colombia

Location: Good, only 10 minute walk from the clock tower/old city. Cleanliness: Okay in reception area; Poor in my dormitory. Shower: Cold water only; shower not clean. Water was just a stream dribbling out. Neighborhood: Lots of activity & businesses. Excellent tailor shop across the street. Okay restaurants around. Atmosphere: IMHO, not great common space for backpackers. Sleeping: Hot in dorm; two fans but no A/C.

Hostel Sue Candelaria

Bogota, Colombia

I've stayed at a number of hostels in Latin America, and Hostel Sue is the best so far! It's in a great location, just a few blocks from everything that needs to be seen. The beds are made every day, and although Bogotá was a bit chilly, I was nice & warm in my bed. The staff and security are great, the restrooms clean, and the public areas full of people having fun (ping-pong table, bar, computer area, sitting area, etc.). They even have a super-comfy TV room set off. Truly worth a stay!

Los Mostros Hostel

Panama City, Panama

I thought the hostel needed to be cleaner. The staff was very cordial, and always willing to help. The place was overbooked when I first arrived, which meant more crowding.

Luz en el Cielo Eco-B&B/Hostel

Montezuma, Costa Rica

PROS: Unique, treehouse-like setting, a short walk from Montezuma town center. Good staff. Great sleeping cabins surrounded by nature and howler monkeys. CONS: There are two baths serving those in the dorms, but only one toilet was working. No one seemed concerned about fixing the broken toilet. Also, never got a hot (or warm) shower.

Hostel Urbano

San Jose, Costa Rica

This hostel is located in San Pedro, part of San José, and a straight shot by numerous buses. The bus stop is only 50 meters from the front door. The staff is extremely helpful to the guests; very cheerful and welcoming. It was the best hostel welcome that I've ever received! oThe breakfast (pancakes) wasn't hot when I went to eat it. The area around Hostel Urbano is safe. I even walked there from downtown (2.5 km) -- no problem. There's a mall and other eating options within 300 meters.

Hello! :) we are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! we are sorry about the cold pancakes, we try to make them as people come but sometimes its too busy and we are not able to, but we have a microwave available to heat them up when that is the case. Hope the rest of your trip goes great! Best Wishes, Hostel Urbano

Hostal El Momento

Granada, Nicaragua

This hostel had more ups than downs. I adored the inner courtyard and the huge plants in the center. When I first saw it arriving at night, I was mesmerized by the superb lighting. The staff were very attentive to the needs of the guests, and the owner was constantly working his ass off. The bathroom serving the main dormitory needed new fixtures, as it is very old and dingy. I ended up using another bathroom. A guest had his locker broken into by anther guest while I was there.

Thank you for writing a review and staying with us. We get many good comments about the courtyard and our staff also. Regarding me working hard, it is not always the case just some days more than others and the week you were here we had staff on vacation also. Regarding the bathroom we do want to change the sink but as I am not the owner of the building it is a little difficult, when we took over I did say to the owners I wanted to change the sink but because it is cast iron they wanted to keep it and would not let me change it over but I will go back to them and ask them again, although they did let us tile and paint all the bathrooms. Regarding the locker being broken into, this is the first time anything like this has happened, we do have 4 cameras on property which helped us catch the guy that did it. We obviously do not have cameras in the dorm as this is illegal, there is always one that spoils it for everyone else and we can only go on instinct when guests check in.

Hostel Casa Verde Santa Ana

Santa Ana, El Salvador

Great place, nice pool, lots of room, and the most well-stocked kitchens (2) that I've ever seen! They have every possible kitchen instrument you could imagine. I think tours of the local area (e.g. Ruta de los Flores or other locales) should be offered.

El Hostal

Antigua, Guatemala

Very helpful staff that goes out of their way to help (e.g., Iván helped me find the AFC & NFC Football Championship games on TV). El Hostal offered a delicious breakfast 😋for free (although I wish the portions would have been bigger). El Hostal arranges with another company excellent tours (Pachaya volcano tour was thrilling) and shuttles. It is a full-service hostel which wants to make your stay in Antigua very pleasant.

Great place, well-managed, delicious food and an unbeatable view overlooking the town of Flores.