Location: England, Gender: Male, Age: 24

Aki Hostel

Sao Paulo, Brazil

This place is great, I only stayed for one night with my girlfriend, but recommend it. It is brand new, the place is immaculate, and the staff were very friendly. The bar is a cool place to hang out, kitchen is flawless, and the bed was comfortable. Only downsides would be the fact it is so new that there are a few things still finding their feet, like the wifi not working except in reception (although this may be fixed now) and the big hill back to the metro isn't ideal! Great place!

I loved this place. A good few blocks from the plaza but well worth the walk. Staff are so helpful and friendly, beds are warm, as are the showers, a great view of the city from the balcony, and free tea all day is always good. Quite quiet, so if you aren't keen on party hostels this is perfect. I returned after my Machu Picchu trip as I liked it so much. A gem.

Located in a good area, comfortable beds, and some of the staff are very helpful. However, the place could be cleaner, some staff seemed to not care, and the WiFi was both unreliable and weak, with the computers frequently out of use. Definite party place.

The Clarence Park

Toronto, Canada

I've stayed in 3 hostels in Toronto, and wish I'd found this one sooner. Comfortable beds, good facilities, amazing location, great staff, and nice and quiet when you want it to be. Could maybe do with lockers in the dorms for valuables, but other than that I fully recommend it.

Canadiana Backpackers Inn

Toronto, Canada

Great location downtown, the dorm was very comfortable with fast WiFi and a good free breakfast. Check-in was rushed and impersonal due to guests behind me not being patient, which was frustrating. Plus the bathrooms could have been a lot cleaner, but I put that down to other guests rather than poor housekeeping. Overall a good place.

Thanks for the review. Sorry we didn't have time to chat and explain all of the awesome activities we have here at the Canadiana. Hopefully next time we can spend a little more time together!

El Hostal

Antigua, Guatemala

I could live here. The staff are all lovely, beds are comfortable, and amazing breakfast. Everything a hostel should be.

The Black Cat

Quetzaltenango, Guatemala

The local staff are lovely, the housekeeping staff do a great job and the breakfast is very good. However, the place needs some tlc, too much is painted black/dark, the dorm was tiny and dark, with little storage space and probably the most uncomfortable bed I've had travelling. There are better places to stay in Xela.

El Hostal

Antigua, Guatemala

Great place, kept very clean and staff have been very helpful. Fast Wi-Fi, best breakfast I've ever had in a hostel, and close to bars and restaurants. Dorms can be a bit stuffy in the morning, but overall I'd highly recommend.

A gem. Located near the centre of town yet nice and quiet. Kept nice and clean, with helpful staff, and good kitchen

Hey there! Thanks for taking the time and leaving us a review. Wow a gem... sweet! We are glad to hear that you had a great stay at Hospedarte Guadalajara Centro. We hope to see you soon again. Wish you all the best in future travels. Thanks, Lucho, General Manager / Hostel Hospedarte Guadalajara Centro

Hostel Cathedral

Mexico City, Mexico

Excellent location and kept immaculately clean. I'm not sure if the place was so big that it wasn't conducive to meeting people, or it was just quiet when I was there. Worth staying for the location alone.

Thanks for your comments! We are big, and at the same time and by far, the most visited hostel in the city. Usually people meet easily in the kitchen terrace, the rooftop bar, the computers or TV room. There were 2 huge groups staying at the hostel during your stay, that probably made the difference. Happy travels!

Counter Culture Party Hostel

Veracruz, Mexico

Definitely a work in progress, but you are guaranteed to have fun here! I only stayed 2 nights, but wish I stayed longer!

Hostel La Candelaria

Valladolid, Mexico

I genuinely can't fault much about this place! Amazing chilled hostel close to the bus terminal on a lovely little plaza. Kept immaculately clean with a nice atmosphere and the staff were great. Very social place for anybody travelling alone. My bed wasn't the greatest, but that doesn't detract how good this place is.

Hostel Quetzal

Cancun, Mexico

Definitely a party hostel, don't stay here if people having fun offends you. Cool place to chill out, the two guys working there do a great job getting people out in the evening. The free breakfast and dinner was great, and there was a good atmosphere around the dinner table, the dorm is good and kept clean, and the staff were great. I recommend it.

Hostel Van Gogh

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Like a hotel with dorms. Good quality beds and bathrooms, with quick wi-fi and helpful staff. The atmosphere isn't conducive to meeting other travellers, but I didn't mind too much. Locate right next to a tram stop, although on first arrival it's difficult to guess which tram stop is for the Van Gogh museum so ask the conductor. I'd recommend staying here though, was good value for money.

Reggae Guest House 2

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Nice chilled guesthouse close to Petaling St but with none of the hustle and bustle. Kept very nice and clean, with free breakfast and fast WiFi. Staff helped me a great deal when I needed to find a doctor, and were generally very friendly. Rooms are on the smaller side, and there are only 2 showers, but overall I really liked the place.

Harbourside Backpackers

Sandakan, Malaysia

Nice modern hostel opposite a mall and near good restaurants. Close to bus stations as well. Staff are friendly and helpful, the place is kept nice and clean, with a good common area. Wi-fi is quite unreliable, that was the only negative i could find!

• 25th Nov 2012

Lavender Lodge Kota Kinabalu

Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

Really helpful staff, they helped us a lot with organising taxis and our climb of Mt.Kinabalu. Reliable wi-fi, good showers, and ideal location makes it a good place to stay.

• 20th Nov 2012

Dillenia Guest House

Miri, Malaysia

Best place in Miri! Mrs Lee is a great owner, very helpful in sorting our arrangements and very friendly. Definitely recommend.

• 19th Nov 2012

Step Inn Guest House and Hostel

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Basic rooms as advertised, but perfect location in KL and really friendly, helpful staff.

• 12th Nov 2012