Oriental Riverside Residence

Melaka, Malaysia

I was in a single room which only had an internal window. Pretty hot but ok with fan. I internet works.

Roommates Penang

Penang, Malaysia

Flashpacker place set up pretty optimally. Helpful staff especially during daytime when those with best English are on. Good wifi. Good place to meet folk.

Lanta House

Koh Lanta, Thailand

Basic functional place which does the job. Wifi works. Towel provided. I was on the fourth floor and the walls are shockingly thin. Hear everything from folk in adjacent rooms. I presume its the same on all floors.

Lilly's Hostel

Bangkok, Thailand

When we turned up we were told the hostel was full. We did not get our booking fee reimbursed. The owner provided multiple explanations for this: A. There was a plumbing problem. B. His daughter was unwell. C. His daughter smashed his computer and he couldn't check his bookings D. His father checks the bookings anyway and he was away. He did take us to a nearby hostel where we stayed. It may all be true but be warned if you book here don't necessarily expect a bed.

Mangolo Hostel-Angkor

Siem Reap, Cambodia

This place is great. I've never stayed in better accommodation for $2.50. Not perfect but the quibbles are minor. The guys do tours but depending on where you're going you can probably get a better price if you barter hard on the street. I did.

One Stop Hostel

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Designed for international backpackers. Good internet. Sockets which accept different plugs. Individual lamps. Still new and fresh.

Gringo's Rincon Hostel

Sucre, Bolivia

Nice hostal with a friendly ambiance good for meeting people. Lockers could be installed.

La Comarca Hostel

El Chalten, Argentina

As others have noted this is hostel is still under construction. At the moment it provides a adequate level of service. Rooms fine and they make your bed every day. No lockers but I spoke to the owner and they plan to install them in due course. Situated handily beside the bus station.

Cruz del Sur Hostel

Ushuaia, Argentina

Fairly standard run of the mill place which does what is needed. Staff friendly and helpful. Good for meeting other people. Breakfast above average with the addition of cereal.

Hi Patagonia Hostel Puerto Madryn

Puerto Madryn, Argentina

Fantastic hostel. Facilities good but place is made by the excellence of the host Gaston. Enthusiastic and helpful with everything. Cooks a quality steak. One of the best places I've stayed in South America.

Kilca Hostal

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Stayed here for 4 nights and really enjoyed it. Staff are friendly and very helpful. Place is basic but absolutely fine. Breakfast is a bread and coffee affair and doesn't normally get served until 9am instead of the advertised 8am which is a bit annoying. Recommended.

Don Santiago Hostel

Santiago, Chile

Great hostel. Fantastic breakfast with fruit salad, real coffee, pancakes with chocolate. Has an actual bath in the bathroom which I marinated in for a couple of hours the two evenings I stayed here watching films. Friendly and helpful staff. Place is relatively small with one communal area so good for meeting people but quiet at night for a good sleep. One of the best places I´ve stayed so far in 3 months in South America.