Reviews: imkah

Location: England, Gender: Female, Age: 29

City Travellers Auckland

Auckland, New Zealand

The sheets were stained and had holes in them. My room was freezing. the lock on the closest shower door was broken meaning i had to go further away from my room because of poor maintenance. The showers were dirty but they were hot. Staff member was nice though and let me leave my bag there for the day before my bus trip. I wouldn't stay again at City Travelers, I've stayed in better hostels in Auckland.

YHA Whangarei

Whangarei, New Zealand

No lockers in your room which was a bit of a pain as the only Lockers are outside the building and 2 dollars to use. Kitchen is good. Video room is good. Reception hours are annoyingly short though. Not a bad hostel. The hill to get up it is massive though so be forewarned. It wasn't fun lugging my backpack up there. Unless you're fit and/or intrepid, take a cab.

Newton Lodge

Auckland, New Zealand

Not a lot of atmosphere but nothing really wrong with the place. Lockers in the rooms with keys provided, study beds, good showers and toilets, clean everywhere, excellent free wifi and computers. Bit of a walk to the supermarket and cbd but nothing major and there are bus stops really close to the hostel which will take you to the centre. About 30 min walk from hostel to Harbour. I'd go back.

Asylum Cairns

Cairns, Australia

I can't really decide if I liked asylum or not. Definitely a fun hostel to stay in but I think it just wasn't 'for me'. The Monday party is actually a Sunday. The free Internet is a computer you book in 15 minute slots. The kitchen is decent but none really washes up after themselves so the sinks are always full of pots but I guess that's what you get when you pitch at the clientèle asylum does. Wouldn't stay again but nothing really wrong with the place.

The Palms Backpackers

Sydney, Australia

Had a great stay at the palms. When breakfast is gone, it's gone so don't bank on there being bread left at 10. Kitchen gets busy and dirty in the evening, get in there before 7. Reception hours are short so check your arrival time against reception time. Very social hostel and for $15, excellent value

Fernloft KL @ Chinatown

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

The 24 bed dorms are huge and the airCon doesn't really get them Cool.

Hi! Thank you for your compliment. We, Fernloft Chinatown KL Team is glad to hear that you have enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you again on your next visit.

Old Penang GuestHouse

Penang, Malaysia

Stayed 4 nights in the end. Lovely showers, decent breakfast and friendly staff. Next doors music did blare until midnight each night though. Shame there was a spate of money theft from the dorm but I should have kept it in the lockers, it's what they're there for! My own fault and staff were helpful as could be expected about it. Not hostels fault at all but just be sure you use the lockers if you stay. I would still recommend.

Deejai Backpacker

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Enjoyed my stay. Clean dorm. Clean bathroom. Good social area and helpful staff

Easy Go Hostel

Vang Vieng, Laos

It's what I expected for the price but I was a bit unhappy when my room leaked during rain and also when I saw a rat run over the ceiling beams above my head. Generally unclean everywhere. No way to lock door. But for 25000 a night, it was ok.

Sihome Backpackers Hostel

Vientiane, Laos

Not a bad word to say. Clean, comfortable and friendly. Awesome showers. Brilliant staff and a movie room. Would definitely stay again.

Street Backpackers Hostel

Hanoi, Vietnam

So lovely. Booked all my tours and transport through the hostel and had a great time. Even let me store my big backpack whilst I was on short trips ans nap in spare bed after a tiring Sapa trip. Could not ask for more. Thanks!

Hue Backpackers Hostel

Hue, Vietnam

Happy hour is fierce. Dorms were clean with huge lockers. Breakfast was also awesome. Great stay. Thanks.

Mojzo inn

Nha Trang, Vietnam

I loved this hostel. Nicest staff ever, excellent breakfast. Brilliant common area. Good wifi. 5 min walk from beach. Just amazing. Would 100% stay again. Thank you!!!!!

NgocThao GuestHouse

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

Staff are so lovely and helpful. Dorms clean. Bathrooms clean. What more are you after?

Khaosan Road Rainbow Hostel

Bangkok, Thailand

No individual keys to the dorm so it was basically unlocked all the time. Staff were OK but nothing special. Bathroom on 1st floor not acceptable, no way to keep anything dry. 3rd floor bathrooms better. Mattress really is hard as a rock. Beds are noisy and sway whenever top bunker moves. Electric points verging on dangerous. Would not stays again.

Ace Inn Shinjuku

Tokyo, Japan

The 'pod' beds are really novel. The only downside is the lack of power sockets in/near the pods. There's plenty of sockets on the 9th floor common area or you can leave your stuff behind reception charging but it's not that convenient. That genuinely is my only complaint about the hostel. Everything else was great. The place was sparkling clean, the showers were good and the computers in the lobby were fast. Location is walkable for most tourist places. Definitely a good hostel.

Parachute Hostel

Taipei, Taiwan

The only thing I can fault were the matresses. They were very thin which, I can imagine for a longer stay, would get very uncomfortable. Otherwise, everything was amazing. I could not have asked for more. An amazing common area, free washing machine, free toast and jam, clean toilets and showers and seriously helpful staff. Thank you for a fantastic stay!

• 16th Feb 2013

Colorful Taiwan

Hualien, Taiwan

The staff at spoke poor to no English. Weeks in advance I had emailed and booked a full day tour to Taroko. When we arrived, we were told this wouldn't happen due to Chinese New Year. The bathroom smelled disgusting as there was no ventilation and it got very damp. The paint was actually peeling off the ceiling. There were key surcharges not mentioned at booking. We were asked to close the security shutter on leaving as it was too early (8:30am) for anyone to get up and check us out. Bad service

• 14th Feb 2013

Dear Emma, Thank you for your comment. We are very sorry that you find our service unsatisfactory. We always endeavor to ensure our customers are happy when they stay with us, but due to certain reasons this time you do not find your stay pleasant, we are deeply regret. We have already replaced our staff. The current staff can speak fluent English. We believe this can solve the language problem that you encountered. As for the trip to Taroko, it was indeed unfortunate. The restriction announcement came with short notice. We were being informed only shortly before the Chinese New Year. We sincerely apologize for not be able to inform you earlier about this arrangement. Upon receiving your complaint regarding the toilet, we have already paid more attention to the hygiene. We will endeavor to ensure the hygiene of each toilet will live up to a satisfactory level. As for the key, the NTD 200 supposes to be a deposit which should be refunded to you when you return your key before you leave. We wonder if our staff has forgotten to do so. If yes, and please kindly let us know your paypal account number so that we can pay your back. Our apology for the inconvenience so caused. We are a small hostel which means to provide clean and comfortable accommodation for traveler with limited budget. With limited resource, we are unable to provide 24 hours stand-by service. In some case we may ask our guests to see themselves out if they travel outside our general working hour. We hope that you can understand our limitation. We very much valued your comments and have addressed to the issues that you have raised as our best capacity. We hope that we will still have the chance to serve you in the future.

Bike Kaohsiung Hostel

Kaohsiung, Taiwan

Very welcoming, clean and bright. Paul is brilliant as are the other staff at the hostel. Showers and toilets were clean, water was hot, kitchen was well equipped and basically could not have asked for more. Loved the decoration of the hostel and the liberal use of memes. Close to a great night market, 7-11, Family Mart and general food places too. Wish we could have stayed longer. Highly recommended from me.

• 12th Feb 2013