WoW Hostel

Singapore, Singapore

The hostel was really easy to get to from the airport on the metro. Nice and clean hostel and good security.

de Talak Hostel

Bangkok, Thailand

The hostel was really clean with great facilities (free water and tea/coffee!) The droms were more spacious than many I've been in in SE Asia and there was a cool chill-out room. The location might be a bit far away from Khaosan Rd etc. but at least it's near a subway stop.

Angkor Wonder Hostel

Siem Reap, Cambodia

The location is good, a 5 min walk from the night market and 'pub street.' It's a little further away from Angkor but it doesn't add much on to your bike/tuk-tuk ride. The staff are great, very helpful and the pick-up from the bus drop-off was very welcome. There isn't much of a communal area to speak of but I was so busy at Angkor that didn't really bother me.

Hostel Nomads

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

The location is fine, walking distance from the royal palace and bar streets. The dorm rooms are pretty basic, just a room with mattresses on the floor but they are at least clean and you get a fan and mosquito net. Robert the manager is very helpful and knowledgeable if slightly eccentric.

Sihome Backpackers Hostel

Vientiane, Laos

A fairly standard hostel, but I have no complaints to make of it. It was a good half hour walk to some of the main sights but I didn't mind that at all. The staff were helpful in booking my onward travel tickets.

Khammany Inn Hostel

Luang Prabang, Laos

I had a great time here. The staff are great and the free breakfast is not to be missed. It's slightly away from the town centre but Luang Prabang is so small that it makes no difference. Phil has just taken over this place and he has big plans, so expect it to stay at least as good, if not better.

• 15th Jun 2013

• 11th Feb 2013

Wada Hostel in Guilin

Guilin, China

We loved our stay here, the staff are great, it's not far from the train station and there's so much stuff in the common room - free pool, board games, films, Wii. The dumpling party was cool and we got on really well the other guests. It's definitely worth rented the bikes and heading out of the city for a day trip if you have time.

• 3rd Feb 2013

• 2nd Feb 2013

Shanghai Dock Bund Hostel

Shanghai, China

The hostel doesn't really have much of a common room so the atmosphere in the place isn't great. Having said that, the location is great just a couple of minutes walk from the Bund in one direction and a subway station in the other. They also have some good fried dumpling places nearby too. They did mess up our reservation which meant we had to move rooms twice but we did get a twin private instead of a dorm for one night, so I guess we can't complain!

• 26th Jan 2013