Hostel Buffalo Niagara

Buffalo, USA

Stopped here while driving from the Michigan to Boston. Very nice, clean hostel with comfortable common areas, many outlets, a big kitchen, and working wifi. Buffalo isn't many peoples' destination city (as evidenced by the sparely populated rooms in mid-July), but the hostel is located in the heart of the theater district with a number of restaurants, bars, and coffee shops nearby. Overall a good experience if you're a young person in the region and need a place to crash. I'll likely be back.

Kabul Backpackers Hostel

Barcelona, Spain

In evaluating this hostel I think much comes down to what kind of person you are and what time of year you go. I left early because it was full of summer-break douchebag (mostly American) 20-year-olds who just wanted to party and get ripped. Other times of year, I think it would be more fun. Great location (if pretty touristy) in Placa Reial off La Rambla and close to the waterfront. Still, rooms kind of dirty and very few outlets. I moved to Equity Point on Passeig de Garcia for a better vibe.

Youth Meeting Home

Florence, Italy

Very polarized review page for this hostel, so here are a couple of thoughts for clarity. PROS: Ideal location, very friendly, cool, helpful staff (who actually remembered my name), clean rooms and common area (at least where I stayed on the top floor), great group of other hostelers (at least when I was there), working wifi and common computers (!). CONS: Construction (when I was there), multiple floors up, few outlets, 7 hour lock-out period (quick access to stuff possible). Overall: B

Capital View

Washington DC, USA

Really one of the best hostels I've ever stayed at. Cool building, clean, friendly staff, chill atmosphere, lots of space, with cheap parking nearby. I will definitely be back.

• 18th Jun 2013