Legends, Rome, Italy
29th May 2014

The location of this hostel is great, because you're right near Termini with all its bus and metro lines. It would be hard to get lost on your back after a day of traveling. There are some beggars on the street since it's so close to the train station, but I never felt unsafe as there are lots of crowded restaurants open late in that area as well; definitely not abandoned. The staff was pleasant and the breakfast pastries were quite extensive and delicious. WiFi was decent.

2A Hostel, Berlin, Germany
20th Jun 2013

The hostel is nice, almost like a hotel. Word of warning: it's right across the S-bahn tracks, so get earplugs to sleep. The location is a bit far from anything a tourist would want to see, but it's not bad as the train is right next door. There is a supermarket about five minutes away that's open until midnight which is nice if you're saving money on meals. The facilities in the hostel will be perfect once they fix the oven and dryer, which were both broken when I was there. Staff is wonderful.

MEININGER Hamburg City Center, Hamburg, Germany
17th Jun 2013

This hostel is a really great location if you're going to come into Hamburg from Altona station. As it's only 6 minutes walking from the station, you also have access to many S-bahn lines to go all over the city. The staff is pleasant enough and the hostel is clean. The rooms have lots of cube storage space which is really nice. There weren't enough lockers in the rooms for everyone and one of them had a broken door handle, but I used a safe near the lobby for a 5 euro deposit. Wifi is good.

Thanks so much for the great rating and comment, hope you experienced a lot here and had a good time. Looking forward to meeting you again in one of our hotels. Best wishes, your Meininger-Team!

Wombats City Hostel Berlin, Berlin, Germany
8.0
11th Jun 2013

The staff is very nice and accommodating. There were stains on my pillow before putting a cover on, but at least the cover was freshly cleaned. Unlike the Wombats in Vienna (Naschmarkt), which was one of my favorite hostel stays, the facilities and amenities in Berlin weren't that great. The wifi, only in common areas, rarely worked. When it did work, it took five minutes to load a page. The guest kitchen gets locked quite early as well. I didn't go, but people seemed to enjoy the Wombar.

7.1
7th Jun 2013

Expect to wait awhile to check-in at reception as it's a very busy hostel. Some staff were nice, others not as pleasant. My blanket had stains, but there was a cover so that was okay. There was a bizarre situation that occurred late at night with one of the other people in my room, but the staff resolved it by giving her a single room. I appreciate them taking control of the situation, and it certainly isn't something that's likely to be repeated or hostel-specific, but it left a bad impression.

Thank you for your feedback. We are regretful that the incident occured and hope it didn't spoil your stay with us. We are looking forward to seeing you again in the future, in Berlin or another city. Regards, Meininger Team

31st May 2013

I had to stay two extra nights at the hostel due to flooding in the Czech Republic making my travel plans impossible, and the staff was very helpful with the last-minute extension. The laundry facilities are good, the en suite bathroom is nice, wifi worked in my room, and the location is great -- across from the market and about a 15 minute walk to either St. Stephan's Cathedral or the Museum Quarter. If you're coming from Westbahnhof, it's easy to get to the hostel by tram and u-bahn.

St Christopher's Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
22nd May 2013

Best wifi I've had in a hostel; signal is strong in the rooms as well as the common areas. The reception desk and cleaning staff are nice and helpful, and the location can't get better. The shower water only stays on for a few seconds, so you have to keep pressing the button which is irritating, but I guess that's for water conservation.

19th May 2013

Very clean hostel; there was a slight issue with overbooking in my room (the computer system had malfunctioned), but I wasn't affected. Since they have a restaurant, there is no kitchen, but it's Paris and I ate out most of my meals anyway. If you're a super budget traveler, this may be an issue for you, but they do give 25% off their food which makes it fairly reasonable (but not store-bought cereal and eggs reasonable).

Smart Place Gare du Nord, Paris, France
6.9
18th May 2013

The staff is very nice and accommodating, and the location is okay. I felt a little unsafe walking at night alone, but it's very convenient for seeing Montmartre. I liked that the dorm room had its own shared bathroom, but found that bathroom to be a bit dirty and lacked any supplies -- even hand soap was missing. For 35 euros plus a night, I think hand soap can be afforded.

Dear B, Thank you for your comment and for rating us. We do provide towels and soap in our private bathroom. If you're missing something you're more than welcome to inform us. Hope to see you soon again. Smart Place Team.

Five Elements Hostel Frankfurt, Frankfurt, Germany
15th May 2013

Five Elements is a good hostel, especially for the price. I was a single female traveling and was not bothered at all by being in the red-light district. If anything, it's a great location for people coming from the Hauptbahnhof, and in walking distance to the Staedel Museum and the shopping mile. The included breakfast is nice as well.

YHA London Earls Court, London, England
7.4
29th Jan 2013

The location and staff are great. Don't expect a youth hostel though, despite the name. Most people I met were in the hostel because they were looking for work or a flat in London, and went to bed early. It felt more like I was invading other peoples' space without permission than a hostel share. You have to pay a ridiculous amount for internet, so just go to the cafes across the street and order a coffee. The "motion-sensored" shower light kept going off every 10-sec. so I showered in the dark.

Royal Mile Backpackers, Edinburgh, Scotland
12th Jan 2013

I stayed here for two weeks, using it as a base for Scotland travel. The staff is lovely, and I met great people in my rooms. I stayed in both female and mixed dorms due to space limitations when I rebooked, and both were clean and people were respective when it came to coming in late and not making so much noise. The internet needs to be rewired, but at least it's free and there are two Starbucks across the street with wifi. Everything was very clean, and laundry is cheap and well done.

Brussels Hello Hostel, Brussels, Belgium
6.9
19th Dec 2012

Not the best hostel I've been to, but the price was right. It's average in almost every way, but the common dining room is quite nice and the WIFI is pretty good. The area doesn't seem the best, but the close proximity to the subway was convenient and made it easy to leave the hostel neighborhood. For a weekend in Brussels, it was fine and certainly not gross or unappealing, just average.

Hostel Van Gogh, Amsterdam, Netherlands
11th Dec 2012

One of the best hostels I've been to in terms of cleanliness. The hostel is more like a hotel and is almost spotless. Lovely neighborhood as well; the only thing that I could mark down for this hostel is that the staff could have been much friendlier. I never paid for the breakfast so I can't say anything about that, but the dining facility was huge and had a TV for viewing while you ate. Not the best hostel for meeting people, but if you have a set group, or want to travel solo, it is perfect.