Paddy's Palace Dublin

Dublin, Ireland

Free tour & airport shuttle service really provide value at Paddy´s. With the exception of Nadia, who was very hospitality-minded, the staff I met could use some retraining. It was funny to listen to a different woman complain in front of the whole lobby of guests about how management had told her she had an ¨attitude problem.¨ (She´d been stomping around in wedges acting put upon last time I´d seen her on shift.) Inconsistent wifi NEEDS to be fixed. Also unsecured 2nd door in room 16!

Kinlay Eyre Square Hostel

Galway, Ireland

A well-planned space with some problems of big hostels; I had food stolen from fridge most days despite using labels provided and encountered a lot of drunk kids. Piano, guitar & drum in the lobby undermine peaceful wifi use. I appreciated free underbed lockers, decent matresses and an attempt by staff to accommodate my need for a lower bunk during pregnancy. This chain might consider a ´family´ bathroom; I was surprised to find young boys in women´s shower. Weekend rates aren´t competitive.

Paddy's Palace Dublin

Dublin, Ireland

I was greatful for the gracious welcome by Nadia who took good care of me during my stay. I would suggest that management address spotty wifi availability and the unsecured 2nd door in #16 dorm. Pub/Street noise was minimal but guests can hear the night staff and early am drivers clomping around on the wood floors overhead and chatting in the wee hours waiting for airport shuttle clientele. Ironically, the night staff won´t allow you to sit quietly in the lobby or kitchen after they wake you!

Cordial House Hostel

Istanbul, Turkey

9th bed squeezed into 8-bed room. Really uncomfortably cold especially at night. Smoking in room and airing out made it even colder. Hallway windows are open a lot. A man walked in on me getting out of the shower. There's no barrier except the door that opens directly to the hallway. They need a private place to change other than inside the shower. Lots of security problems in general with shared key to dorm, front desk isn't between the front door and stairway to rooms. Paid lockers too small.

New Red River Hostel

Istanbul, Turkey

It was snowing and the place was freezing inside too. Lights off in the lobby like a cave - one bulb screwed in over my head at breakfast. Owner stood in open doorway for cell phone reception - while it snowed! Nice guy but I couldn't make him understand how cold and uncomfortable I was. He was away in the afternoon and didn't return to turn on heat in room until midnight. I was the only guest and it felt like I "wasn't worth the electricity." Thank God for the other 7 blankets on the dorm beds.

Blue Tuana Hotel

Istanbul, Turkey

Blue Tuna did not honor online price, wasted a morning of my vacation. Said they'd charge ten times as much. I asked them to honor the price since I had confirmation and they'd given me insufficient notice. Refused. Refused in person too (I didn't want to be accused of being a no-show.) Deposit refunded with an arrogant attitude. Management doesn't take responsibility for what they call a 'mistake' in listing price. I think they're gaming the sort-by-price feature of the booking site. Total scam

Eastwest Guesthouse

Istanbul, Turkey

I am still not recovered from a shoulder injury after falling down the hostel's insanely steep interior stairs in December - true cost of my stay is now in the hundreds of dollars. Also was annoyed that staff didn't keep a fellow guest's Iranian boyfriend out of our women-only room. He lingered too long delivering her suitcase when I wanted to shower and returned to pound on our door at 1am to "check on her" since her cell was off. Hard to find without good sign at door. Address only in alley.

Cordial House Hostel

Istanbul, Turkey

I awoke at 1AM to a man in the women's dorm trying to take sexual advantage of a drunk girl in the next bed. Sharing one key means no security, unlocked or staff often doesn't know who has the key. Lockers cost extra and aren't big enough. Luggage room is unlocked and right by the front door. Security cameras are useless if staff is watching a movie or pretending the wifi lounge is a night club. Guests who want to Skype with family, work with wifi, study with audio or chat can't hear. Too cold!