Leiden Guest House

Leiden, Netherlands

Hostel accommodation on Leiden is rare. This place is pretty basic but perfectly fine and very cheap if you are a no frills traveller. The location is good being nice and central and the permanent resident who is in charge is a delight and very helpful and friendly. As a 57 year old solo traveller it was a bit like being back at boarding school and made me feel very young and adaptable.

The hostel was perfect for me. I stayed in the brand new section which is spacious, comfortable and so sparkling clean! My only negative comment is that one blanket with a vinyl mattress cover(with sheets on top of course) is not enough for winter. An underblanket and two for on top would be perfect. The staff were fabulous and the proximity to the beach was a welcome surprise! Highly recommended!

• 29th Jan 2013

Palazzo Sant Ursula

Valletta, Malta

The accommodation in the charming old house is very comfortable. Antoinette, the manager, is a delightful, friendly and warm host. The 72 steps from my room to the kitchen is a hike but I looked upon it as a fitness exercise. The location is great and all in all I highly recommend it.

• 21st Jan 2013

Tel Aviv Beachfront Hostel

Tel Aviv, Israel

The hostel is obviously in need of some repairs but the rooms are clean, the bathrooms are clean and the free tea and coffee is welcome. Great breakfast next door for29 shekels if you buy a voucher at the hostel. A perfectly good couple of nights in beachfront accommodation. We were there in the wildest weather imaginable but we were cosy and warm in our beds.

• 6th Jan 2013