Paddy's Palace Dublin

Dublin, Ireland

The best part about staying at Paddy's is the fact that you have some pretty generous extras included in your room fee, most notably the airport shuttle and the tour to Glendalough and Kilkenny. The room was clean enough and the bed was par for the course for a hostel. Most of the staff were great but one particular night security guard was pretty rude to us; he gave us way too much grief for arriving at the lobby 20 minutes before our scheduled 4am cab and, in general, had a condescending tone.

• 24th Mar 2013

Central Station Hostel

Amsterdam, Netherlands

First and foremost, this hostel is right in the center of Amsterdam so its a close walk to everything. The dorm and bathroom were actually very clean; I was impressed. There are adequate lockers in the rooms that you can use for free with your own lock, which is nice. Nothing else is really included free and there is no kitchen or common room to cook or spread out in and relax. Final note: the stairs going up to check in are extremely steep (be careful).

• 21st Mar 2013

Venice Lagoon House

Venice, Italy

The Venice Lagoon House is actually a house turned into a guest stay, not a hostel as we had imagine (obviously this is a good thing!) Luca is an amazing host and very knowledgeable about Venice and literally anything question you throw at him. The house is very close to bus transportation to the island and Marco Polo airport (15 mins walking). My only complaint is that it was quite cold in the house for the majority of our stay.

• 16th Mar 2013

Graffiti

Barcelona, Spain

The dormitory in which I stayed was pretty subpar; it was not very clean, there was only a sliding door to get in and my bunk bed actually broke when I first tried to get on it (though it was dealt with in a timely manner). The kitchen was ok; I was able to cook a couple meals there. The staff are nice and helpful... I am mostly disappointed with the actual room I stayed in.

This is the first time I've stayed in a hostel so I don't have much of a reference to go off of but I enjoyed staying at Travel Joy Wimbledon! Wimbledon is a great place to stay as it has all the necessities for a longish stay and is something like 15-20 mins out of Waterloo station by southwestern line trains. The staff were very nice and helpful which was another plus. Other nice things included a (so-so) free breakfast, free drinks (instant coffee, tea, soda) and plenty of shower stalls (5).