Asylum Cairns

Cairns, Australia

Cheap dorm room, but worth the extra couple dollars to upgrade to a room with air conditioning. Ask for the room with single beds.

• 13th Mar 2014

Bunk Backpackers

Brisbane, Australia

Rooms are set up for privacy but makes it harder to socialize. Personal lights and outlets are a plus. Kitchen is big, well stocked and always clean when I was there at off-peak times. Free breakfast was good, if basic. Bar is loud every weekend night, but it was nice to hear the live music from the fifth floor on Sundays.

• 28th Feb 2014

Nomads Auckland

Auckland, New Zealand

The housekeeper on my floor was so thorough that she was cleaning the walls when I arrived. Impressive. Co-ed bathroom was spotless. Kitchen became crowded easily and most pots pots and pans need replacing. Friendly front desk staff. Excessive street noise on weekend nights, as it is near multiple bars and clubs. Bring earplugs.

• 22nd Feb 2014

Hi there, thank you very much for your feedback. We are stoked to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we will pass on your comments to our staff! We have to re-stock our kitchen on a monthly basis due to guests taking dishes etc. with them when they leave. We will make sure this is up to standard again. We are surrounded by bars etc. but we actually offer free ear plugs from reception. We hope to see you again soon Thanks Nomads Auckland Management

Base Auckland

Auckland, New Zealand

Biggest annoyances were the elevators (always a wait even with 3 and no stairs option), the long wait at reception

• 17th Feb 2014

Nomads Byron Bay

Byron Bay, Australia

Surprisingly nice. Seems dingy at first, but everything is cleaned very often. Nice rooms, good beds. Never really knew where all the toilets were (showers and toilets should be clearly labelled). Good times in the courtyard.

• 16th Feb 2014

Byron Beach Resort

Byron Bay, Australia

Lovely hostel. Large female dorm. It's nice being out of town until you want to stay late at bars, then it's a hassle to get back. Loved how large the kitchen is. Housekeeping could have been more thorough; felt that the shower stall was not cleaned at all. Front desk staff were helpful.

• 10th Feb 2014

Backpackers Fuji

Narita City, Japan

Small, but clean hostel. Nice facilities but not the best layout, for example the female dorm is next to the kitchen, which is the only lounge area, so you can hear everyone talking as if in the same room. The room was kept warm in winter, but the back bathroom was freezing. The location is ideal for a visit to Naritasan temple, and a short layover from the airport. I'd stay here again.

• 5th Feb 2014

Valpackers Hostel

Valparaiso, Chile

It was quiet when I was there, something I prefer. I had peace. I can imagine the common areas would be crowded if there were more guests, but it was good on my trip. My favourite part was the two energetic kittens the owners had rescued, they added some party vibes! Rooms had space. Showers had hot water. It is far from the tourist areas of Valparaiso, but still within walking distance, and very close to the bus terminal, which was important for me as I arrived at dawn.

• 23rd Dec 2012