Location: USA, Gender: Male, Age: 27

Han Tang House

Xi'an, China

I loved this place - people are right on the money when they say the place is just like a hotel. It feels just as fancy, with its granite flooring and modern, halogen-style interior lighting. I found the staff extremely nice and helpful, and the beds were SO comfortable, with nice thick puffy sheets. I would absolutely stay here again. A few nitpicky cons for those in search of them: expensive meals downstairs, no elevator, slower wifi (but indeed accessible in the room I was in on 3F).

The Mad Monkey

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Loved this place. Spacious rooms, clean bathrooms, great non-touristy location within walking distance to a local market. Very nice staff. You get a voucher for a free beer upon check-in. The lockers are smaller, too small for your backpack, just be aware. I would definitely stay here again if I'm back in Phnom Penh.

HI Siem Reap

Siem Reap, Cambodia

Room was really small and the 6-bed dorm could have done well to be a 4-bed dorm. Lockers are outside in the lobby. Bathrooms are small and have no air ventilation. Really friendly and helpful staff and fair tuk tuk prices.

Eighty8 Phnom Penh

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

A bit further north so farther from S21 and killing fields. Staff had okay English. Dorm shower drain clogged pretty bad and that's marks against cleanliness in my book, but room was great. Big lockers to put in your whole backpack. Pool water looked a bit turbid. A bit of a party hostel and the bar on the ground floor blasts music late into the night; take note that some rooms are just over the bar. You'll meet some great people. Overall I had a good experience, but I've definitely had better.

Royal Inn

Hoa Binh Hotel

Hoi An, Vietnam

Little Hanoi Hostel

Hanoi, Vietnam

The value of this hostel can't be beat! It is very inexpensive, and you get everything free with it: coffee, tea, towel, fresh-cut fruit, breakfast, lunch (yummy instant noodles), and of course, David. David is the man that mostly runs the place, and he's awesome. He's busy and overworked all the time, but he is always helpful and makes sure you have everything you need. I think the only thing that could be improved is the quality of the lighting of the dorm bathroom, but that's nothing at all.

Happy Snail Hostel

Singapore, Singapore

Very nice, small, and homey hostel. Mike is the owner and is very nice and helpful!

BackHome Kuala Lumpur

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Fantastic chill-out hostel - very clean, extremely helpful and nice staff, free coffee and tea. I really liked their artsy modern interior design, and it was definitely among the best of my hostel stays. I will say this, though: if you're looking for more of a party atmosphere, check out the Reggae Mansion just down the street instead. It's got a rooftop bar that blasts music at night that you can hear down the street.

Lazy House

Koh Phangan, Thailand

Pak-Up Hostel

Krabi, Thailand

Fine print: AC shuts off every day at 1200 to 1700. Other than that, everything was great! Met some awesome people here.

Careful, they overbook!

Dear Phil, Phuket Thailand has been very busy this season... We do get many of our guests who want to extend...However, March was not as solidly booked as the previous 3 months. I took a look at our booking calendar and there was even an extra unused bed in your dorm for the 2 night you stayed... I do not know how you got the impression we overbooked as we are always concerned with the satisfaction of our friends and guests. We will take extra measures to secure bookings as we are becoming more popular this year as a major dive destination. Please feel free to write me personally so we can sort out your situation in a kind positive way and give you a special deal on your next visit... Thank you for time, Ricky

Sea Blue Phuket Hostel & Guesthouse

Phuket Patong Beach, Thailand

2W Cafe & Hostel

Phuket, Thailand

Saphaipae Hostel

Bangkok, Thailand

Lamb Tour House

Taipei, Taiwan

The place was extremely clean - a lot of that probably has to do with not wearing shoes after you go up into the hostel. The beds were a bit uncomfortble for me - they were memory foam matteesses that sank too much - I felt like I was sleeping on the planks of wood below.

Yesinn @CAUSEWAY BAY

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

The New York Loft Hostel

New York, USA

Huge rooms with lots of space. Awesome common areas and decorations.

New York Budget Inn