Reviews: jstan

Location: Australia, Gender: Female, Age: 24

Smart Russell Square

Worst hostel I've ever been to. Triple bunks in the dorms, so high they're scary to climb. No plugs anywhere; you must fight for one of the few that exists with the hundreds of other guests, most of which are children on camp. Wifi doesn't work. Showers are awful, pressure so strong you must shower with your eyes closed, and pipes on the ceiling drip as well. Worst are the staff, who are so rude and unhelpful. When I checked out he threw my deposit at me and walked off without even a goodbye.

• 11th Jun 2013

Rock N Bowl Hostel

Bristol, England

This hostel gave me bed bugs and made the rest of my trip hell. That aside, I have nothing good to say about this hostel save for its location.

• 9th Jun 2013
  • Globetrotter

Hello, We are very concerned at your accusation that you received bed bugs from our hostel. I don't believe this is possible. We have regular inspections carried out by Rentokil and we checked room 212 after we received your review and no bed bugs were discovered. Bed bugs lay eggs on peoples luggage and it takes 7-10 days for the eggs to hatch. Is it possible that you received it elsewhere? http://www.bedbugcentral.com/bedbugs101/topic.cfm/biology-behavior

Hatters on Newton Street

Manchester, England

I would definitely recommend this hostel; staff were very friendly, good breakfast and a decent common room to hang around in. Pretty good location right near some cute cafes in the northern quarter.

• 5th Jun 2013
  • Globetrotter

Thank you so much for leaving your review. Breakfast is actually pretty good and we are also pretty proud of our free toast policy during the day ;) Really hope to see you again in Hatters. :D

Euro Hostel Glasgow

Glasgow, Scotland

More of a cheap hotel than a hostel and wasn't a pleasant place to be. Though the kitchen is very big and good to use, the common area is like sitting in a hospital and the wifi isn't very good, not even appearing in my networks on my floor even though the staff claimed it should be. The shower was a nightmare to use; the water sprays out so strongly and wildly that I had to stick my head out of the curtain the whole time just to be able to have my eyes open and breathe. Not a social place.

Caledonian Backpackers

Edinburgh, Scotland

A good hostel, though it's huge with so many guests that there was constantly a feeling of overcrowded-ness in common areas (the kitchen most of all), and this encouraged me to just sit on my bed rather than hang out downstairs. The wifi is good and works everywhere and the dorm was nice and spacious. The biggest let down was the bathroom, which was constantly filthy and disgusting despite being cleaned every day, and the staff weren't always friendly. However a good hostel; would go back.

• 31st May 2013
  • Globetrotter

A nice, quiet hostel located a bit far out of the centre but I really enjoyed the cute little area that it was in. Was disappointed that the wifi only worked in the common room as I didn't always feel comfortable in there - it often felt less like a hostel than an apartment that all of the staff lived in, and the guests were intruding on their private space and time. Bathrooms were ok, rooms quite spacious. Breakfast included would be nice.

• 29th May 2013

Circus Hostel

Berlin, Germany

A good hostel, though not worthy of such a high rating considering it doesn't have a kitchen or offer free breakfast, or even tea or coffee. There isn't much of a common area to hang out in, and I felt like the place was just trying to get as much money out of you as possible - not a very homely or kindly feel to it like other hostels that have this high a rating. The dorms are good, with each bed having its own locker, plug and light. Location is good, surrounded by cute cafes and trendy shops.

• 25th May 2013

Home Lisbon Hostel

Lisbon, Portugal

This is a fantastic hostel that gets everything right. Staff are some of the best I've encountered, facilities are clean, and there is an incredible living room with a massive DVD collection that brings the guests together each night. But the best thing by far was Mamma's dinner, where for 10 euros you get three courses and as much sangria as you like. Mamma is so friendly and sweet. I didn't want to leave!

• 15th May 2013
  • Globetrotter

A nice hostel that has a lot of activities on which was great! Showers were good and room was nice and quiet, though there was quite a nasty smell on our floor. The rooftop area is great for chilling in and we enjoyed the breakfast and kitchen facilities. Very friendly staff!

• 13th May 2013

Art City Hostel

Barcelona, Spain

A greatly located hostel, nothing fancy. The room was very small and made it difficult when it was full for us to move or store our things, and there weren't enough plugs. There are lockers in the rooms, but you can't lock the actual dorm rooms and other guests would rudely leave the doors open constantly. The showers aren't very private but pressure is great. Staff were lovely though! Would recommend for budget travellers, though not if you're looking for a place that offers activities etc.

• 7th May 2013

Margareten Hostel

Vienna, Austria

A simple hostel with incredibly lovely and helpful staff. Located a bit out of the centre but good value for money. A nice breakfast is included and there's a good kitchen that guests can use. There weren't many showers so I opted to have mine late at night, and I didn't really like the room I was put in as the wall it shares with the hallway doesn't go right to the ceiling, hence you can hear absolutely everything going on in the rest of the hostel.

• 26th Apr 2013

Rastel Hostel

Budapest, Hungary

An ok place, though the showers were very poor and cold. The room didn't have bunks and was very spacious. Located near a tram stop that can take you anywhere. The male staff were all very rude and didn't acknowledge us once, even when we said hello, and seemed to be high most of the time.

• 24th Apr 2013

Arch-Ist Hostel

Istanbul, Turkey

A good value hostel with a well stocked kitchen and spacious rooms with their own bathrooms. Located close to Taksim square and Istiklal street so the location is great, though also due to its central location there was loud music playing well into the night that made it hard to sleep. One minus was that I came home on my first night to find a girl sleeping in my bed, as different staff had given us the same bed despite the fact that I had been sleeping in it most of the day. Bit disorganised.

• 19th Apr 2013

Skala Hotel

Ios, Greece

A lovely place to stay and the staff will go out of their way to help you. The owner cooked me a delicious breakfast one morning and offered us coffee on arrival. I was also able to have a massage on site which was wonderful. Just a short walk downhill to the town. However, we were disappointed to find that the pool was empty during our stay and the hot tub was nowhere to be seen, as those were the main reasons that we booked. Reception closes at 3, which was a bit of a nuisance. Bad wifi.

• 14th Apr 2013
  • Globetrotter

dear friend we thank you for your stay in our hotel about our faults it was the begin of season and we still try to fix everything for the summer hope that next time we will be better for you thank you

Stelios Place at Perissa Beach

Santorini, Greece

A stunning place to stay right next to Perissa beach. The room had everything we needed and was cleaned daily, and the pool was excellent. It is also close to a 24 hour bakery and a quad bike rental place which was very handy. Aside from all of this, our stay here was made so fantastic by Stelios and his family; Stelios picked us up and dropped us off at the port at all kinds of ungodly hours, and his wife and daughters were so kind and helpful at reception. I would definitely return here!

• 11th Apr 2013

San Remo Hostel

Athens, Greece

A pretty bad hostel but if you just need a bed for the night it will do. A bit of a walk from the Acropolis area. Facilities aren't great; the bathrooms are horrible and dirty and the kitchen isn't very good, with half the things in it seeming not to work. We found it a bit petty when a staff member came to rudely kick us out of bed only just after check out time, considering that the room was virtually empty and clearly no one was coming to check into it.

• 9th Apr 2013

Hotel King

Kalambaka, Greece

A more hotel-like place than most hostels. The room was nice and we had our own bathroom, and there was free breakfast in the morning. Staff didn't mind us hanging around after check out while we were waiting for a train. Would recommend.

• 8th Apr 2013
  • Globetrotter

A decent hostel with good facilities. We had a room to ourselves just off the kitchen and we had everything that we needed, including air conditioning and a TV that played movies in English all night long! The reception was located in a different building, but this wasn't too much of a bother as it was only a short walk away. Very close to the entrance to the old castle.

• 30th Mar 2013

Logistics Youth Center

Zagreb, Croatia

A nice little hostel that is run by an incredibly lovely family who were so helpful and friendly. There is a young lady who does the painting there who is very talented! The only downside is that it is a bit far away from the old town; we caught taxis there and back, as we didn't feel safe taking a bus and then trying to navigate our way because it is located in quite a remote area.

• 29th Mar 2013

Tresor Hostel

Ljubljana, Slovenia

A great hostel that is new and clean. The staff were lovely and very helpful, and we had a nice breakfast here too. Location is excellent; walk out the door and you're pretty much right in the square. Wifi throughout the entire hostel! Great value for money.

• 27th Mar 2013

MEININGER Salzburg City Center

Salzburg, Austria

A hostel that runs more like a hotel, with great private bathroom facilities in every room and a nice area downstairs that you can hang out in. Staff were happy to help with any enquiry we had and we had nothing to complain about. I have noticed a lot of school groups seem to stay at Meininger Hotels, though, so if you're looking for somewhere quieter probably don't come here because they are pretty disruptive.

• 25th Mar 2013
  • Globetrotter

Hello! Thank you for your comment! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Sorry about the school groups, maybe the place will be more quiet the next time you decide to stay with us! Best wishes Your Meininger Salzburg Team

The Lazy Falken Backpacker

Interlaken, Switzerland

This hostel is being renovated so it was a bit of a mess - we could only get wifi if we sat in the hallway next to reception, and our room was very basic without a lot of bedding. However the owner was an absolutely lovely man and we really enjoyed staying with him! He worked hard to make everyone happy and the breakfasts were great value. Security was a bit of an issue, as we discovered the wooden lockers in our room had no back so could easily be broken into, and there was no luggage storage.

• 20th Mar 2013

MEININGER Amsterdam City West

Amsterdam, Netherlands

A great hostel that feels like a hotel. Rooms are fantastic and bathrooms are amazing. Not a lot of character or a fun vibe but it is a very big place that runs smoothly. The staff at the desk aren't overly friendly and if you plan to spend a lot of time in Amsterdam city centre you'll be catching the train in every day. One minus was that the staff mixed up our check out date and were rather rude about trying to get us out of the room that was ours for another night. Overall a fantastic hostel!

• 11th Mar 2013

Snuffel Backpacker Hostel

Bruges, Belgium

A cool little hostel with friendly staff and a nice atmosphere downstairs. The rooms are pretty basic but fine, however the shower facilities are the worst I've ever seen. Dirty, freezing cold and barely any privacy. The cleaning woman was also very rude and came into our room way before check out and basically kicked us out of bed. A good location.

• 7th Mar 2013

Paddy's Palace Dublin

Dublin, Ireland

Not a great hostel. While some staff were helpful others were unfriendly and gave off bad vibes. You have to be let into the dorm rooms by a staff member every time you want to go in - very inconvenient! There are barely any power points in the entire hostel, two in a 12 person dormitory and most of the ones in the reception/lounge area didn't work. There was one toilet for over 20 people and no mirrors, and beds didn't get changed when people left. Barely any wifi. Guests were mostly older.

• 1st Mar 2013

Global Village

Belfast, Northern Ireland

The best hostel I've been to! Great facilities (bathrooms in particular very clean and private) and the staff are great. Super helpful and they have something going on there pretty much every night. Only thing to take note of would be that the music is very loud if you're trying to get to sleep early.

• 28th Feb 2013