Location: Canada, Age: 30

YHA Bangkok Airport

Bangkok, Thailand

I needed to be at BKK airport quite early, so it did the job. That's basically it. Be careful of the taxi taking you to the airport in the morning. My driver refused to turn on the meter and wouldn't stop to allow me to take another taxi. He then tried to overcharge me when we reached the airport, because he knew that I needed to catch a flight and was pressed for time. Be careful, don't leave the hostel with a driver like this - the airport is very close and shouldn't cost very much at all.

• 10th Sep 2013

The Mad Monkey

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Good hostel. My only complaint is that it seems impossible to contact staff at night. There were people outside of my room being quite loud between 1:30am-3:00am, and when I asked them to please take their conversation elsewhere they refused. I went downstairs to ask staff for help, but there was no one anywhere and the exit was locked, so I couldn't even go out. Very poor layout, having the reception desk in another building down the street...

• 6th Sep 2013

Royal Hotel Battambang

Battambang, Cambodia

The hostel had good wifi and location in the city, however the room could be cleaner. For example, it seems they wash the sheets but not the blankets. This was confirmed when I saw the cleaners taking piles of sheets in the morning, but no blankets to be washed. And I'm pretty sure they didn't wash my laundry, because everything came back as dirty as it was when I gave it to them.

• 5th Sep 2013

Siem Reap Rooms

Siem Reap, Cambodia

It seems a little expensive for what you're getting, but it's fine.

• 31st Aug 2013

Siam Journey Guesthouse

Bangkok, Thailand

I've been to this hostel before, and like the last time I really enjoyed my visit. It's not your typical hostel; they're so patient and kind with each guest, they enjoy getting to know/hanging out with the guests, and it's just a really nice atmosphere. It's good if you're like me, travelling a long time and tired of the usual anonymity of hostel life. They plan outings & movie nights, & atmosphere lends well to meeting other guests.

• 29th Aug 2013

Villa Thony 1 House 1

Luang Prabang, Laos

I liked staying here and it was overall a good experience. I think the hostel would benefit from installing screens on the doors and windows. There's mosquito nets on the beds, but it would help with the mosquitos flying around the room when you're not in bed. I appreciated the chat with Keo and it's nice being next to the school with the little ones coming and going. Pleasant hostel, great town.

• 22nd Aug 2013

Aoi Garden Home

Chiang Mai, Thailand

The room isn't very clean, the wifi doesn't work in the room . I don't recommend asking them for help. The lady said she'd called to check if there were tickets left for my flight, and then when she got back to me she said 'it's sold out', followed by 'what city are you going to?'. So obviously she didn't actually call. When I went to the airport to check they had EIGHTEEN seats left.

• 20th Aug 2013
  • Globetrotter

I take responsibility for cleanliness and WIFI issues. I try my best to meet our guest's standards. I'm disappointed you failed to mention you were initially not able to book a flight, which is why you asked for my help (3 hours prior to when you wanted to fly out). I did try my best and recommended you go to airport and speak with airline directly. I take pride in my character and helping people experience the beauty of Chiang Mai.Anyway we still happy here.

At Home Sukhothai

Sukhothai, Thailand

I was impressed with this hostel: large clean room, good wifi, good breakfast, nice staff. I was only going to stay 1 day but I stayed for 2 because I was so comfortable here.

• 18th Aug 2013

Ayutthaya Place Youth Hostel

Ayutthaya, Thailand

Good wifi, good breakfast, good screens (so vital with all the mosquitos outside!) -- pleasant experience. I especially enjoyed the geckos chirping outside at night :)

• 16th Aug 2013

Siam Journey Guesthouse

Bangkok, Thailand

I really enjoyed my stay at Siam Journey. I liked the atmosphere a lot; it was comfortable, and communal. And I really appreciate all the tips and advice Shane gave me for my trip! Thank you, see you when I'm back in BKK!

• 13th Aug 2013

@Hua Lamphong

Bangkok, Thailand

It's a good hostel with a great location. Not a fan of the atmosphere, as the staff are a little cold and the guests were all Khao San partiers. Though I guess you can't blame the staff for their disinterest with such guests around...

• 12th Aug 2013

Dragon Hostel Hong Kong

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

It's decent, given small rooms and high prices are to be expected in HK. At times the wifi didn't work at night, and I found the cleaners were a little intrusive, but otherwise fine. I appreciated that the dude who works there at night is much friendlier than the one who works in the morning. Definitely safer than Chung King mansions.

• 29th Jul 2013

Yamen Hostel

Pingyao, China

The best review I can give is to keep your expectations low. It's not great, but it's 20 yuan...

• 7th Jul 2013
  • Globetrotter

I booked the new location, arrived & learned they don't take foreigners, which isn't said on the HW listing. Sent to the other location where the staff's English isn't good enough to answer most Q's.They also don't properly assign beds, which I mentioned & they said "doesn't matter". It does when a new dorm mates arrive at 1am, is confused bc someone's in their assigned bed & wake everyone up to sort it out. Finally, their large resto doesn't offer ANY Chinese food &no wifi in rooms. Unpleasant.

• 3rd Jul 2013
  • Globetrotter

I appreciate the railway station pick up. That's about it. They supposedly have wifi, but it onl works in the restaurant, and they don't seem to be making any effort to fix the other networks. The restaurant staff seem nice, but the folks at the front desk need to work on their attitudes. And their English is vet minimal, so expect to have your patience tested. Finally, the washrooms should be cleaned more often.

• 1st Jul 2013
  • Globetrotter

Good Location, reliable wifi connection (but only available in the common room/lobby), and good a/c (necessary in this weather). The staff try and help, but I found they consistently made mistakes with advice

• 26th Jun 2013
  • Globetrotter

Good location and helpful staff. However I was disappointed that the wifi often wasn't working or was very slow, and the double room didn't have a/c. It's INCREDIBLY hot, even at night. Also the washrooms aren't cleaned enough. Otherwise a good hostel.

• 21st Jun 2013
  • Globetrotter

They don't accept reservations from HW. Even w confirmation email they refused w/ "we dont speak English/can't read it". Finally they relented

• 10th Jun 2013
  • Globetrotter

The hostel and room could have been cleaner, and they should install proper locks on the room doors. Also the water is frigid and soap and toilet paper are not provided.

• 1st Jun 2013

• 14th May 2013

Green Forest Hostel

Guilin, China

Good price and decent wifi. Otherwise I was unimpressed. We originally booked 1 day & wanted to book another but were told that only private rooms (130 yuan) were available. But I went online & found availability among 35 yuan dorms. They also overcharge for tours; better to go through an agent, & there are plenty in Guilin to choose from. Also it's LOUD at night & it seems unprofessional seeing female staff partying with guests at night in the lobby. Strange hostel...

• 2nd May 2013
  • Globetrotter

Thank you for your kindly feedback and useful suggestions . there are something I want to explan it . First . It was really fully booked that day due to a Chiese May Day Vocation and the reason why you got a room because someone was just cancelled . Second . There are plenty agencis in Guilin like you said which have diferent cruise and itineraries, of cause it has different price ..The last thing . the girl who was off duty and went to spend time with fellow guest she befriended . My boss and i were absolutly uphold the act of friendly . and we do not think thats" strange'. but we are sorry about the "strange " for you .. Thank you again . Happy travel...

BackHome Kuala Lumpur

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Good wifi, great patio area in the back, and friendly staff. Just a bit pricier than I think it should be.

• 24th Mar 2013

Garden Inn

Lijiang, China

The staff were nice and very helpful - I needed to courier some packages which they assisted me with and when I injured my back I was accompanied to the massage place and helped with communicating my needs in Chinese. I really liked this hostel, and the courtyard is quite pleasant, bright and full of plants and flowers. The food is also good, which I appreciated after having some bad food in town. Overall a good experience!

• 8th Mar 2013

Nova Traveller's Lodge

Chengdu, China

The internet connection is really awful. Additionally, some of the front staff are unfriendly & unhelpful. They will help you book tours with them, otherwise they'll give you wrong info on travelling alone by bus. I was told by 3 staff that there are no direct buses from Chengdu-Leshan & Chengdu-Lijiang. This is incorrect, it is in fact possible. Why mislead ppl? Furthermore the food was always cold, why not bring it out sooner? At least it was very clean & the area outside is nice to hang out.

• 3rd Mar 2013
  • Globetrotter

Firstly, thanks for all your suggestions. Sorry for your uncomfortable feelings in Nova. Secondly, we were planning to improve our connection to internet, which was delayed by the Chinese New Year who take control this taking their holidays. Additionally, we think there were some misunderstandings for the wrong info. Honestly, we feel sorry for the misunderstandings. We have checked from our staff, they meant there is no bus direct go to Leshan Giant Buddha, only to Leshan city. And many guests go to Lijiang by train which should change once. We, staff are always willingly to help our guests. Since you have mentioned the info, we will check them all and hope there will be no any wrong info and misunderstandings to our dear customers.

Good review, mixed experience. CQ is a really dirty city due to the construction, but the hostel's doing their best to work around it. Staff were apologetic when a drunk dormmate vomited on the floor in our room. Good staff, but the guests were predominantly obnoxious westerners, as opposed to majority Chinese tourists which is what I experience in other cities/hostels throughout China (and frankly that's what I prefer). Depends what you want. I really appreciated pickup at the train Stn, thx!

• 27th Feb 2013
  • Globetrotter

Hi, Thanks so much for your comment and so sorry for the bad experience in the room,the other pepole were nice also in the hostel,maybe for fun and were drunk too much,we really appreciate your kindness,wish you have a nice trip. Best wishes ANNIE

Mixed review: the hostel doesn't honour the youth hostel discount card, despite using this logo here. At check-in they claimed that the HW price is the discounted price, but that makes no sense because then there's no benefit in buying the card as everyone receives the "discount". Also displeased with the demeanor of one of the women working at the front desk. She's abrupt/unhelpful- I was there for 3 days and could never get a straight answer regarding anything. Otherwise the hostel is average.

thanks for your rating and feedback. The price of a dorm bed is 50yuan per night, 5yuan is discounted for a guest with a IYHF card. Promotion is offered on HW at low seasons before this March with a price of 35yuan. Regurality here guests can not hold the promotion and member price together. Sorry that we didn't tell you this regurality before you made your reservation. We will improve.

Nanjing Time Youth Hostel

Nanjing, China

The common room is quite nice; full of plants, and bright and open and a nice place to meet fellow travellers. I really enjoyed that space. It's also clean, unlike the dorm rooms. I don't think the washroom in the 6-bed dorm was ever cleaned. I like that there was someone there to open the locked door late at night. However, the woman who works at the front desk during the day is very rude. The man was helpful and kind but the woman was always rude, dismissing, unkind. So, mixed review from me.

• 29th Jan 2013

Parachute Hostel

Taipei, Taiwan

I loved staying here! The staff are very sweet and they have the cutest puppy :)

STAR Hostel (Taipei)

Taipei, Taiwan

I loved the common room: bright, full of plants and comfortable to hang out in. The dorm room was small and smelled like paint; could use better ventilation. But I spent most of my time in the common room...

I've never been to a hostel before where there is never any staff on site. You have to call him if you need anything, so don't expect to talk to a local if you have questions. He comes and goes whenever without any schedule, so you're basically on your own. For example, when you check out you just leave your keys and go. Otherwise it was clean and RIGHT at the subway and I appreciated seeing a cleaning person come by every day.

FuQi Hostel