Beds on Bohio

Jaco, Costa Rica

I stayed in a 4-bed dorm. Pros: Great location near beach Friendly staff Cons: No hot water No AC Poor wifi Quite dirty--it's difficult because you are next to the beach Mattress was a 2 inch pad of foam--quite uncomfortable Room was SUPER small

Blue Trailz Hostel & Surf Camp

Tamarindo, Costa Rica

Hot water Poor WIFI Great Costa Rican workers Not as clean as it could be--quite difficult on a beach Board rentals inexpensive Enough of a kitchen, but eating around Tamarindo is cheap--provided you find the local places Good AC Great location next to beach and the bus picks up right outside the hostel Summary: Awesome location and PERFECT for those wanting to surf while in Tamarindo.

Monteverde Backpackers

Monteverde, Costa Rica

Great spot. I recommend the Extremo Zip Line Tour Monteverde is pretty small--only a few days needed. There was a sloth crossing the road outside the hostel one of the nights. Pretty unexpected but neat. There is hot water. WIFI ok. Outdoor kitchen is slightly gross.

Arenal Hostel Resort

La Fortuna, Costa Rica

Friendly staff They have free hostel events each day Minimal hot water Great AC in the rooms Good WIFI Great breakfast (although it is 6 USD) Great vibe I recommend the Class III/IV Rapids with organic farm excursion. It was very good. How they can improve... (1) add lockers to the dorm rooms (there were none) (2) add hanging rods in the rooms (there was enough space, but no rods to hang your clothes)

Snoozles Hostel Galway

Galway, Ireland

No lockers to store your stuff in the rooms. I booked one of their "deals" with the giants causeway tour as part of my stay. Price was good because my price included that tour.

Finn McCool's Giant's Causeway Hostel

Bushmills, Northern Ireland

Hot water was not consistent. Location is PERFECT if you want to see the Giants Causeway. You can get out there before the tourists show up in the morning and then after they leave in the evening. Very peaceful location...perfect for a night or two. The free breakfast and cheap dinners are nice touches as well.

Lagan Backpackers

Belfast, Northern Ireland

Hot water was sporadic. The free breakfast and cheap dinner was a really nice touch. It is a hostel that isn't cheap with the basics. They just try and do the little (and easy) things to make you enjoy your stay.

Ashfield Hostel

Dublin, Ireland

There were no lockers to store your stuff. Breakfast was quite good (and free). Location was close to most of the action and easy to get to from the airport by public transportation.

MEININGER Brussels City Center

Brussels, Belgium

More hotel than hostel. Although... I have like it FAR more than any other hotel type place. Wifi great around the building. Location could be improved. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Not the best place to meet other people, but not the worst either.

St Christopher's at The Winston

Amsterdam, Netherlands

The location is right in the middle of the Red Light District. In the mornings, you had to wait to be let in (could take 10+ minutes). There were large groups of "unsavory" folks that gathered around the bar each night. No atmosphere from a hostel standpoint. I would not recommend if you are traveling solo. With a group, and when you don't want to meet others, it would be good. The lockers near reception were 2&4 euro for the day. They were very strict on their check in time.

Hey William. Thanks for letting us know about your time with us. It's difficult to come to Amsterdam and come by this city's fantastic array of wierd and wonderful characters. It's famous for it ; ) We can assure you that they are quite harmless though

Hostel DownTown

Prague, Czech Republic

The staff was very friendly. They organized events every night which was nice. The piano was a really nice touch (in tune also). Location was great. BTW: you can easily walk from the train station. Just look at a map ahead of time and you will be fine.

Hi William, thanks for your feedback. We are happy you like our daily activities as we. We really like to organize the events where our guests can meet each other and get introduced them-selfes. And I can agree that the piano and guitar can be heard every day from our lounge area and make our guest very happy to play to theirs friend. Thank you for your stay and we are looking forward to seeing you some day in future. Best regards, jakub, manager.

Kangaroo-Stop

Dresden, Germany

They were cheap and almost rude at every corner with their policies, threatening massive fees for EVERYTHING. Gave a 3 hour internet coupon (and it had to be continuous). Even the internet voucher has, and I quote, "Do nothing illegal!! We log your traffic!" Really!? There were warnings and threats like that EVERYWHERE. The bathroom was at the complete other end of the hall from the room. Not worth the headache. The hostel made me uncomfortable due to the threats.+They expect you to buy sheets

Five Reasons Hostel

Nuremberg, Germany

It was good for what I needed (an overnight hostel in Nuremberg). It was a good location from the train station, so I could get to/from the train station easily. Then, it was within the main city wall. Breakfast seemed like a ripoff though, especially because there is a massive grocery store 5 min walk away.

Hostel Marmota

Innsbruck, Austria

Location is a bit far from the city center. I think ~1.5 miles from the main train station. There was a nice vibe and the rooms were really nice. Kitchen was big, outdoor seating was good.

Wombats City Hostel Munich

Munich, Germany

The location is fantastic (right next to the main train station). I would highly recommend Ozzie's Walking Tour (he works through Wombat, so I am not advertising for a different company). Absolutely worth while introduction to Munich and Germany as a whole.

Facilities were very nice. There were quite a few solo travelers, and we all managed to meet up. The hostel didn't really do anything special, but it worked. Very clean.

Hi thank you for taking the time to review us. Great to hear you had a good stay, next time you stay be sure to check our facebook page where we post events. Of course you can ask us of some cool things to do in Paris

Paraiso Travellers Hostel

Barcelona, Spain

Staff was great. Internet was spotty. Not too much (if anything) organized by the hostel.

City Public Hostel

Copenhagen, Denmark

Simply an embarrassment as a hostel. Brilliant as a money generator. I was in the 66 bed dorm. Pros: Location Cons: It was like a sauna in the room. The lockers were not large enough to fit my bag (carry on size) -- which is unacceptable due to 66 people in the room. There were 3 mens showers for the 100+ guys in the place. The showers were disgusting. There were 2 pans in the kitchen and not enough cookware as a whole. You have to pay for EVERYTHING! Including a PILLOW!! Beds creaked. AWFUL!

IYHF Youth Hostel Zinkensdamm

Stockholm, Sweden

It felt like a hotel, not a hostel. Internet did not work for video chatting (normally wouldn't care, except the US Embassy where my Dad is living was being closed due to threats and I wanted to speak with him). Filled with groups of people that know each other. Not a good hostel for the solo traveler. Lots of families with children. I was in a portable building that was super hot. We couldn't leave the windows open though, because there were people talking/smoking at all hours except 2-6:30AM.

Euphoria

Tallinn, Estonia

The staff was excellent (a common theme in the Baltics). The hostel could have hosted more events to try and bring travelers together. Most people tended to mind their own business playing on their phones/computers most nights.

Very good. Laid back, casual hostel. Good to meet people, but not a place to come back completely trashed in the morning. Friendly and knowledgeable staff and clean. A++ Not a party hostel but a great place to meet people and go out.

Jimmy Jumps House/Hostel

Vilnius, Lithuania

Staff could not have been friendlier. Hostel is quite a bit larger than I was expecting, but they did their best to bring people together (pub crawls, pancakes, etc). There were not enough showers during the morning shower rush and there was no way to lock the bedroom.

Why Not? Chillout Kiev

Kiev, Ukraine

The female staff were incredible. The male staff was not helpful at all...to the point of refusing to help people that specifically asked for it! Location is not far from the main central area of Kiev. Not a lot of nightlife socializing. Quite a bit of sitting and drinking in the common area.

Flamingo Hostel

Krakow, Poland

Great location. It was a party (but not out of control) hostel. Every night something engaging was going on. It seemed like a hostel where friendships were actually formed. Also, almost everyone extended their stay, and the ones that didn't, usually wished they could have. If you expect a full night's uninterrupted sleep, I would not come here. In certain rooms, it sounds as though people are running in the halls. Quite a few people (including myself) got clothes stolen.

Grampa's Hostel

Wroclaw, Poland

Pretty good location. Helpful staff. Very clean.

Felt like a hotel...that sums it up really. Staff was not bad, wifi was awful, no community events, big complex. Location was right next to the East Berlin Wall Gallery which was neat. Close to metro station. Decent, but not the best place to meet other people. Mostly filled with groups that know each other and there was nothing sponsored to bring the groups together.

Hostel One Prague

Prague, Czech Republic

Hostel has a bar downstairs that they promote heavily. It is in the basement and they allow smoking, so you can't even see when you walk down there (let alone breath). Hostel is not far from the main train station, but it is the opposite direction of the city center area of Prague. They "host" events. The feeling I got while I was there was that I was being "sold out". A lot of people had a great time, I just didn't care for the hostel.

HomePlus Hostel

Budapest, Hungary

Very good hostel. The staff was fantastic--always willing to help and they kept the place very nice. Recommended

A&O Wien Hauptbahnhof

Vienna, Austria

There were kids running around everywhere. WIFI was not great and the staff was not too helpful. It felt more like a hotel/kids playroom than a hostel.

JUFA Salzburg City

Salzburg, Austria

It felt far more like a hotel than a hostel. There were LARGE groups of kids (grade school, middle school, & high school) everywhere. The breakfast was excellent. The WIFI was spotty at best.

Old Town Zagreb

Zagreb, Croatia

Very good. Super friendly and helpful staff. Recommended!

Hostel Enjoy

Sarajevo, Bosnia And Herzegovina

Value for the money is great. Recommended although slightly difficult to find. I recommend looking at GoogleMaps before arriving and just use the address to find the spot.

Villa Divine

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Staff could not have been better. Hostel was the cleanest I have ever stayed. Definitely recommended!

Dragan's Den

Korcula, Croatia

The staff was friendly and helpful. The free bicycle rentals were helpful considering the size of the island.

Luka's Lodge

Hvar, Croatia

Very good place. Big area for kitchen and meeting other people. The staff was great, beds were nice and seemingly new. Recommended.

Silver Central Hostel

Split, Croatia

Cons: The bathrooms were common and there was only one shower. Pros: Everything else. Friendly and knowledgeable staff. Fantastic WIFI. Great price. Great location. Definitely recommend this hostel.

The layout of the room was interesting. It was a super long corridor with bunks along the side. The age demographic was quite young and there was not a lot of "quality" socializing. The location was right off the metro, but their "directions to the hostel" were quite terrible.

Pella-Inn

Athens, Greece

The view was absolutely spectacular. Price was good and I would definitely recommend the free day tour. WIFI only worked downstairs. Perfect Athens experience. Arrived on the ferry at 8 PM. Slept overnight. Free Day Tour. Slept overnight. Then on to a new city.

Paraga Beach Hostel

Mykonos, Greece

Great showers. Dirty facility although you expect that considering you are on a beach. Not very close to anything, so you have to take the bus/taxi to get into town. Everything on site is more expensive than it should be because of this.

Youth Hostel Oia

Santorini, Greece

Expensive, but that is expected in Oia. The staff was fantastic and the facility was incredibly clean. Security could be slightly better in the rooms (like lockers inside the rooms), but the staff would store valuables for you. Highly recommended if you want to stay in Oia (which I did).

Leonidas Hotel

Kos, Greece

Very nice. A slightly longer walk to the city, but nothing too bad. Friendly staff and nice facilities make up for the slightly longer walk.

Bodrum Backpackers

Bodrum, Turkey

Pros: Good location and the directions to get there from the bus station were very clearly written Cons: The hostel was incredibly dirty. They put me in a room with more people than I ordered, then overcharged me. There was no air conditioning so the door and windows had to remain open all night. There was incredible noise from the bar/club and the street. The owner was passed out @ 8:30 in the morning, so there was no breakfast. Plus, I am pretty sure I got bed bugs from here. AVOID!!

Istanbul Hostel

Istanbul, Turkey

The hostel was very nice. Great location, hot water and great service (the wireless did not work from my room but it did downstairs...which was good enough for me). I used the travel agent next door and found his services to be top notch. He actually booked my entire 11 day vacation around Turkey, so I did not have to do any planning for the rest of the trip. The price was great too. All things considered: I would recommend both Istanbul Hostel and the travel agent connected to their building.

Jailhouse Accommodation

Christchurch, New Zealand

A unique and fun hostel. It was clean and perfect for our needs.

• 2nd Feb 2013
  • Globetrotter
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Adventure Queenstown Hostel

Queenstown, New Zealand

Excellent stay during the summer. Centralized location and they didn't nickel and dime you, like so many others in New Zealand.

• 29th Jan 2013