Tropic Days Backpackers

Cairns, Australia

This is a great hostel with lots of character. Our double room was spacious and comfortable, and the bathrooms were kept impeccably clean. The only real downside for us was that our room was at the back corner of one of the buildings and there is an outdoor common area directly below where a lot of people smoke. My husband and I are both very sensitive to cigarette smoke and did not like the smell of it wafting through the windows in our room.

Aussie Woolshed

Hervey Bay, Australia

I'm not sure why this hostel has such a high rating, everything about it seemed average to me. We stayed 2 nights total (before and after a 2 day trip to Fraser Island), so maybe we didn't have enough time there to experience what other reviewers liked so much. FYI that you need to pay extra for air conditioning in your room, and their wifi system is odd (they give you slips for 3 hrs of wifi at a time, so you have to keep getting new slips from the office, even if you paid for unlimited wifi).

Surfers Paradise Backpackers Resort

Surfers Paradise, Australia

I listed location as "average", as there is a shuttle into downtown. Otherwise, it's a 20-min walk. Not too bad, but you need to plan your day accordingly. Staff were very nice.

Nomads Byron Bay

Byron Bay, Australia

The hostel is in a great location. Definitely a good place to stay if you're looking to meet people, but the average age seems to be early 20s, so depends what you're looking for. We were in 2 different rooms and they were both very clean, however, the hallways are gross - everywhere you look, the carpeting is stained. Also, the common room on the second floor can be really loud, and I wouldn't have been happy if our room was close to it. Staff were friendly.

Nomads Byron Bay

Byron Bay, Australia

This is a great hostel if you're looking to party. There are activities every night and a big common room with an outdoor area that includes 2 hot tubs and several picnic tables. The staff are pretty friendly too. My husband and I aren't generally looking to stay in party hostels though, so it's not exactly the kind of place we were hoping for, and wouldn't stay here again. But we agree that it would be great for someone looking to meet a lot of people and do the hostel activities.

Sydney Harbour YHA

Sydney, Australia

Great hostel. The staff are very friendly and helpful, the location is excellent, and the rooftop patio was fabulous.

Jailhouse Accommodation

Christchurch, New Zealand

Very unique accommodation. As we were in a private room I can't speak to whether there were lockers available in the dorms, but security-wise, no one was getting through those solid metal doors! The staff was very friendly.

YHA Queenstown Central

Queenstown, New Zealand

Our dorm room had a view of the air shaft so there was very little light coming in, and our ensuite looked like it was last updated in the 70s. Excellent location and the staff were ultra friendly.

YHA Wanaka Purple Cow

Wanaka, New Zealand

Great location, very clean. We wished we had time to stay another night or two.

Glow Worm Cottages

Franz Josef, New Zealand

My husband and I really liked it here. It was a small hostel and our dorm room had a lot of character. Very clean, lots of space to hang out in the common area, a great selection of movies, and a big kitchen. Our only complaint was the lack of lockers in our dorm room, although this seems to be the case with most of the hostels we've stayed at in NZ. Why the lack of security in dorm rooms?!

Nomads Auckland

Auckland, New Zealand

Great hostel. Clean, friendly staff and vibe. Great location. Much better than Base Auckland.

Hi there, thank you very much for your feedback. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and hope to see you again in the future. Thanks Nomads Auckland Management

Base Auckland

Auckland, New Zealand

Lockers under beds, but there were signs around that a thief was operating within the hostel. Our room had nasty stained /ripped carpeting. Stuffy in room due to no AC, but with window open it was quite loud until Globe bar shut down in the wee hours. Overall this place is average. We also stayed at Nomads Auckland and really enjoyed it there.

Habitat HQ

Melbourne, Australia

The staff were very friendly, but the vibe in the hostel wasn't great. There seemed to be many people living there who weren't interested in being friendly! Our 6 person dorm was cramped...there was almost no room for our bags!