Silverfern Backpackers

Auckland, New Zealand

As soon as we arrived, we were greeted by very unfriendly and helpful staff. Rooms were of an average standard. We were given a room with an 'ensuite' which was actually the disabled toilet. Overall, I'm happy we only stayed 2 nights here due to an early flight. I would not recommend this hostel to other travellers if others are available. The atmosphere consisted of people watching the TV at the highest volume and shouting in the corridor. Not exactly welcoming.

• 20th Nov 2013

Criterion Art Deco Backpackers

Napier, New Zealand

I loved, loved, loved this hostel! An Art Deco hostel!?!? It is so different from the other hostels I have stayed in. It has A LOT of character and is a very grand hostel. It has a warm and friendly environment and the staff are great. The room was great and the surroundings were fantastic. The hostel is a stone's throw from the bus stop, beach and at the centre of town. The kitchen is more than adequate and there are many common areas to relax in.

• 17th Nov 2013

The Mousetrap Backpackers

Paihia, New Zealand

What a great find!! This hostel is just fantastic! Although it may look a little old, it has a lot of character and such nice surroundings! The staff are great and the owner/ receptionist is fluent in English and German so was helpful to a variety of different travellers. She really promoted the area and told about the arsenal of activities there are to do in Paihia. One big bonus was that there are free bikes for you to explore the area. I definitely think more hostels should be like this one!

• 13th Nov 2013

Bamber House

Auckland, New Zealand

This hostel is in a great location. It is right next to Mount Eden where you can get a spectacular view of Auckland. The transport links are great too, if like me, you don't have a car. Supermarkets are fairly close too. This is a nice quirky house where you can really make yourself at home. There are many areas for you to relax and socialise in. Beds are comfortable, bedding and towels are also provided for you

• 11th Nov 2013