Hostelche

Belgrade, Serbia

A terrific place. It's not always easy to exactly define what makes a good hostel, beyond a feeling which you get. And here, you get that feeling. God, is Aaron Sorkin writing this? Anyway, you know what I mean. A lovely, friendly welcome, which isn't always forthcoming in hostels. Useful info about the area, genuine people, interested, interesting. The place is cosy but big enough, gives itself to a good but not excessively in-yer-face atmosphere. Yep, highly recommended all round.

Cheers Hostel

Istanbul, Turkey

No complaints really, it's all there; nice bar on the top floor, good location, breakfast. It didn't literally set my life on fire, nor did it metaphorically, but that's partly because I left feeling slightly aggrieved with myself for not asking for one night's money back after making a mistake with dates. But if I complained about every failure on my part, I'd be complaining an awful lot. For example, I also didn't say good morning to a lady the other day, because she surprised me, you know.

Yep, no probs, big hostels do what big hostels do.

Hello Marseille Hostel

Marseille, France

Lovely staff, really nice atmosphere, great location but too expensive. Nevertheless, would go back, really enjoyed it overall.

• 17th Jul 2013

Like the curtains which cordon off each bunk in the dorms, with light and plug sockets. All that was fine and breakfast included is good, staff were nice. Some of the showers were out of order when I stayed and so yeah, this turned out to be a bit awkward. The end of the story is that my socks got wet so I threw them in the bin.

Hi there, Sorry for the inconvenience with the showers, occasionally these kind of things can happen in a large hostel. There are more showers available throughout the hostel and on such occasions if you can't shower we can arrange for you to go to another floor perhaps. At least the other facilities were up to your standard, and the staff were good. Thank you for your thoughts! Kind regards, St Christopher's Inn Paris Canal

YHA London St Pancras

You more-or-less know what to expect from YHA hostels, as far as I can tell, and this one falls into line. Clean, does the job. Didn't find the staff over friendly but shouldn't really complain because they did all they should. Not sure about paying £5 for internet. Location was perfect for us, just across the road from Kings Cross/St Pancras.

• 21st Apr 2013

Kentish Rooms

Initially confused as to how to access the rooms given that the patisserie downstairs was shut, a call to the owners got us in and once inside the room was lovely. The double is open-plan with a relaxed non-hotel/hostel feel. Very easy to hang about in. Also right opposite Kentish Town tube. The room was finished to a really high standard (my god, I sound like the bloke on that morning property programme) and the owner who showed us in was friendly and relaxed, and later unobtrusive. Nice.

• 13th Apr 2013

Celica Art Hostel

Ljubljana, Slovenia

So different, which is a good thing, I reckon. In our two-person room the beds were on a high, raised platform and slightly precarious to access but it was definitely an experience. If you want maximum comfort perhaps not the place to go but I'd recommend this place to any traveller. Memorable. Had to pay for internet and the staff at the front desk were a bit matter-of-fact, but all in all, worth staying. It's no run of the mill hostel, and I imagine in summer it would be a great place to go.

• 23rd Feb 2013

Do Step Inn

Vienna, Austria

Arrived and were told we'd be upgraded from hostel room to hotel room, which was nice, and good value given what we'd paid, 20 euros or something. Room was clean, good, place wasn't far from transport links. I do hold a bad restaurant recommendation against one lady, though, and I'll never forgive her unfortunately but would go to the place again.

• 21st Feb 2013