Markakis Studios

Santorini, Greece

Hostel Nina

Mostar, Bosnia And Herzegovina

This is a family hostel and they treat you like family. I showed up on their doorstep with food poisoning (from somewhere else) and the grandmother of the house nursed me back to health with her special tea and made my meals for me. I was overwhelmed with their kindness in all regards. The breakfast is in their garden and home cooked. The tours they arrange and lead are a great way to see the area and learn--informative, beautiful, fun filled days. The dorm room I stayed in was nice and clean.

Nika Dubrovnik

Dubrovnik, Croatia

This is a room in a wonderful woman's house. It's clean, cozy, and has everything you will need. It is also very well located in the old city. The best part is coming home to talk with Nika. She really makes you feel at home.

Hostel Shappy

Zagreb, Croatia

This is definitely one of the nicest hostels I've ever stayed in. It's super clean and modern feeling, but still has a nice, friendly feel. After weeks of staying in hostels, this was my first decent night's sleep in a long time. It's location is great for getting around Zegreb. The staff are helpful and friendly. The free coffee/tea in the morning is a nice way to start the day too.

Zeppelin Hostel

Ljubljana, Slovenia

The staff were excellent. They were friendly and chatted with us about life in Ljubljana and were super helpful. The showers were a little annoying, but seemed clean enough. The location is great with a five minute walk to the bus/train stations and a five minute walk to the old town.

Istanbul, Turkey

Big Fish Budapest Hostel

Budapest, Hungary

I chose this place for the good reviews but the hostel was my least favorite part of Budapest. The rooms look over the busiest street for partying in the whole city, and with no AC, the noise from the windows only stops at dawn. The staff were friendly, but they were not local and had barely explored the city, so they could not give inside advice. The common room in the main hostel is a good way to meet people for your travels, but the other building is a lot quieter and has no common space.

Nomad Cave Hostel

Goreme, Turkey

One of my all time favorite places I have stayed in my travels. The staff--Apo and Ismet--are just some of the nicest people I've met and they sincerely care about making your stay in Goreme as enjoyable as possible. They are very helpful and set you up with great directions to the walks in the area, give advice for getting around and avoiding the crowds and pick the best tours/balloon rides to go on. The place has a nice atmosphere that captures the aesthetic of the area. Breakfast was amazing!

Bahaus Hostel

Istanbul, Turkey

The staff are what make this place so great. They hang out with the guests and set a great laid back and fun atmosphere. They also organize great group events or day trips that take you out of all the touristy stuff. By far my favorite part of this place is the roof deck--lots of great people just hanging out, enjoying hookah and Efes. They make it easy for a solo traveler to meet good people to enjoy Istanbul with. Go here for the atmosphere!