The Mad Monkey, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
3rd Feb 2015

A great hostel for a lone traveller as there is always an event on to make it easy to meet people. Also has a great rooftop bar that's lots of fun. Just don't expect peace and quiet when staying here, but if you're looking for fun, it's the place for you.

The Mad Monkey Siem Reap, Siem Reap, Cambodia
31st Jan 2015

Perfect hostel if you're looking to meet people and have some fun. I was travelling alone so it was great to meet people in the rooftop bar, it was the best night I had in Cambodia! Apart from the party, it's ideally located, very clean and comfortable for a hostel and has a really nice pool area to cool off. The only small tip I would give is that it won't be a peaceful stay, so don't choose Mad Monkey if that's what you want.

Hostel Pousada Pais Tropical, Salvador, Brazil
4.3
6th Feb 2014

The location is great. Unfortunately that is the only good thing to say. We arrived at an iron doorway with no indication of how to get in (we had just walked a long way with heavy bags and were exhausted). The whole hostel was very dark and dirty, our room had an extremely loud fan you couldn't switch off, and the mattress was literally paper thin. We didn't get a wink of sleep. The breakfast was terrible and the staff were useless. DO NOT STAY HERE.

Iguassu Guest House, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil
6th Feb 2013

A really lovely hostel with a warm welcome, very clean and all run efficiently. Also had a great bar so it was easy to meet people. Would definitely stay here again.

Residencial Uno, Puerto Iguazu, Argentina
4.3
4th Feb 2013

We were greeted by an extremely rude and disinterested guy on the reception. As we'd been on an overnight bus we asked about taking a shower or having some food, both requests were just grunted at, but we were told we could leave our bags and come back after 1pm to check in. When we did, we wished we hadn't, extremely filthy, smelly and not at all secure (I was in a mixed dorm and the bathroom door didn't even shut never mind lock). Awful place - AVOID!

Barra Beach Club Oceanfront Hostel, Florianopolis, Brazil
26th Jan 2013

I can't recommend Barra Beach Club highly enough! I've only been travelling in South America for a short time, but have had the displeasure of staying at some pretty average and poor hostels. Barra Beach Club was a wonderful exception. The staff welcomed me after an overnight bus journey and I felt instantly at home, it was unbelievably clean and if you're travelling alone like me, you'll have no trouble making friends...pay a little bit extra to stay here and it is worth it!