The Dictionary, Shoreditch

Having been told off for using this word by Rebecca on reception, I think it only fitting to use it here: A.M.A.Z.E.B.A.L.L.S. Honestly, it's the first word that comes to mind. Great hostel, comfy beds, rooms are spacious (I stayed in the 4 bed), and good showers. The communal area - Translate - has a great vibe to it too. Kitchen is a little small so the (free) breakfast can be a bit crowded but still I really recommend it. By far the best hostel in the big smoke, and it's in Shoreditch. Winner

• 21st Apr 2013

Equity Point London

The room was nice- I had gone for a 4 bed room just so it would be a little quieter. Unfortunately, it seems the majority of the 4 bed rooms are right next to the wooden staircase that services all of the other rooms (I've stayed there twice, and both times I was next to the stairs, although in different rooms). Subsequently, you were kept awake half the night by people running up and down the staircases. I would recommend staying here, it's just not worth paying the extra for the 4 bed rooms.

The New York Loft Hostel

New York, USA

By far the best hostel I've ever stayed in, and I've stayed in a lot of hostels. Nice atmosphere, great staff, comfy beds, clean facilities, free wifi, great kitchen and chill out area, and the free breakfast is amazeballs! Location is a little out of the way but with the J, Z, M, L and G trains all within a 15 minute walk it's convenient for Manhattan and getting to and from JFK. Only downside; you will be bitterly disappointed with any future hostels you stay in, as I'm painfully discovering.

• 27th Jan 2013