Location: Canada, Gender: Female, Age: 28

Sunshine Bedz KL

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

The place was in a great location in Bukit Bintang. It is really clean. The staff were helpful, but not always super knowledgeable. The common area is a bit institutional, so not the best for meeting people, but if you already have travel buddies, this is a good home base.

Ringos Foyer Guest House

Melaka, Malaysia

This hostel is very basic when it comes to the facilities, but it is kept clean, is in a good location, and the owner is an awesome host. I would recommend it for sure!

River City Inn

Singapore, Singapore

The 26 bed dorm has a lot of beds crammed into a little space, but it works. it is actually nice that they turn off the air conditioning and open the windows during the day to get some fresh air in. It is a clean and quiet hostel, with a superb location right by Clarke Quay. It is within walking distance of a lot of attractions, the most beautiful parts of the city, and very close to the metro. If you just need a place to sleep in the heart of Singapore, this place does well for that.

Tavern 47

Shangri-la, China

Jun, the owner, is really, really nice. He and his wife run the place; sometimes you may have to track them down to get help, but when you find them, they are very helpful with whatever you need. The yak burger (and other food) really is delicious. The hostel is small, but with a warm feeling and everything you need. Definitely recommend.

Timeless Hostel

Lijiang, China

The staff are great at helping to plan buses, or trips to the Tiger Leaping Gorge. The location at the edge of the old town is PRIME. They will even come meet you at the old town gate to make sure you find the place. The lockers are huge, so I never worried about any of my stuff. It is clean, and has everything you need. I would definitely stay here again.

The Lily Pad

Dali, China

The bathrooms in this place were immaculate. The staff are helpful; they helped me to get a bus ticket and even walked me to the stop to make sure I caught it all right. The location is close enough to walk to the old town or the mountain very easily.

The facilities are nice, with a common area with a bar. The staff are helpful, but I often felt like I was second priority behind whatever administrative work they always were doing. The food was good, but service was sometimes a bit slow. They forgot about my breakfast one time, but then remembered and gave me a free banana for my troubles. If you are just looking for a clean place with a bed, and/or want to meet some people to travel to other places in Yunnan, this is a good starting point

Comfort Hostel HK

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

The location of this hostel is good, especially if you like to shop! There are multiple floors, and not a lot of common space, so for meeting people it's not great. It is not the grandest of places, but for a bed in a good neighbourhood, it's got the job done for a reasonable price (for HK).

Wada Hostel in Guilin

Guilin, China

The staff are really helpful with tips for getting around Guilin and Yangshuo. They can help you to arrange tours, or give you advice to get around on your own. The bar area is nice, and the food is good. The rooms are clean and have lockers. I would recommend this hostel, for sure.

Grannys Hostel

Kuta, Indonesia

This is a really funky little hostel. The atmosphere is great. Within 5 minutes of being there, the staff had already introduced me to a bunch of other guests and made me feel really comfortable. They organize social events as well. I highly recommend the Lovina trip; it is really fun! Keep in mind Kuta is a party area, so if you like to party, this is a good area to be. Even if you are just on your way through, it is a good place to stay for a couple of nights. I would stay here again.

Masada Backpacker

Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

I didn't find this place to be very social at all, but to get a bed in a good location in KK, it was fine. The staff were helpful and good with everything they needed to be.

Check Inn HK

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

This is the cleanest hostel I have ever stayed in! They are constantly making sure everything is clean and tidy. It's a small hostel, with a small common area, but this makes it easy to meet other travelers. I would stay here again.