Hospedaje Magallanes

Punta Arenas, Chile

Wonderful hostel run by a German-American couple who were very helpful in setting up excursions/transportation to the airport!

Thanks for your great review! In this case, "American" stands for Chilean - just to avoid confusions... ;-) Thanks for staying with us! --Sebastian

Great hostel, great people! Very secure left luggage room, with a safe. Only downside is that sound travels throughout the hostel, and people are staying up late/getting up early for tours all the time. Try to stay on the 3rd floor if you expect to get some rest (6 bed mixed, 6 bed female, twin, double).

Excellent location. Very enthusiastic manager, who will help you with tours (we used a different company) and answer whatever questions you may have. The rooms were incredibly hot in the afternoon, but we weren't around much anyway, and there is plenty of shaded public areas to lounge around. The kitchen looked great as well.

Sol de Oro

Machu Picchu, Peru

The rooms were decent--they changed the sheets every night and our private bathrooms were clean. However, I was still underwhelmed. The hostel seemed like a trek from the train station during the rainy season. It's a family-oriented hostel (i.e., hearing kids screaming and running through the walls). There is hot water, but you have to wait 15+ minutes (I ended up with a cold shower because I thought the hot water would never come). On the bright side, I did get eggs every morning!

Pariwana Hostel Cusco

Cusco, Peru

The beds were quite comfy and warm; hot showers were always available--I never had to wait. The bar is hopping at night (but not too late, so I could get a good night's rest) and there are tons of activities to sign up for if you don't already have plans.