• USA, Female, 25-30
Reggae Hostel, Kingston, Jamaica
8th Jul 2016

If you reserve directly on their website, it's half the price of hostel world! So I was a bit annoyed about that, because I initially paid $20 a night for a room and it changed to $13. But the staff is really great and wifi is strong. It's not far from the bus station. Good place to meet people. You can also volunteer for free room and board.

Tekweni Backpackers Hostel, Durban, South Africa
8.0
15th Nov 2015

This place has amazing staff and huge common areas, so if you're a solo traveler and want to party, this place is great. It's also in an incredible location. However it is loud, and even with the staff's best attempts to keep it clean, I still saw roaches scuttle across the dorm beds when I flipped on a light. That's not their fault, but I think some people would be dissatisfied with the general cleanliness of the place. Pro tip: use the upstairs bathrooms, they are newly renovated and cleaner

Thanks for the review. Absolutely love the staff thing. Our biggest pride. Thanks. Look there will always be some roaches regardless when in Durbs. it is a fact of Durban life in our tropical climate. We do have a professional exterminator that comes monthly and we are very roach conscious generally with everything we do. But we do understand what you are saying. Yes good tip about the upstairs bathroom. We hope to see you back.

Away with the Fairies, Hogsback, South Africa
13th Nov 2015

The view and the bathtub are absolutely amazing. There are some pretty great hikes in the area, as well. The dorms are a bit small, but I think it's a good place to tent. The staff are nice, but I'm not sure if I would recommend this for a solo traveler.

Jikeleza Lodge International Backpackers Hostel, Port Elizabeth, South Africa
12th Nov 2015

It's a bit small and dated, but the staff is really excellent and there are large common areas. I expect it's a good place to meet people, but I wouldn't call it a party hostel.

Hi Nicole, It was a pleasure having you stay with us. Thank you for your comments. We are not a party hostel but we do try and create an atmosphere conducive to travelers meeting other travelers. I am glad the staff looked after you.

African Array Lodge, Plettenberg Bay, South Africa
10th Nov 2015

The view can't be beat! It's gorgeous! They run a fire every night as well which is really nice. The atmosphere is very chill, the family is very nice. Matt even ran a movie on his laptop for me. It's a bit far out of town, so you have to pay for a shuttle or drive your own car. The food is amazing though, and if you're looking for a chill day or two, this is the place!

Greg & Tom Party Hostel, Krakow, Poland
3rd Apr 2015

The location was good, just outside the old city so not too loud and close to Jewish quarter. But It shouldn't have such great reviews, dinner was great, but there was 3 toilets/showers for 35 people,

Really thank you for your review. We just wanna let you know, that in Poland there is an obligation to have one toilet for 15 people. During your stay with us the hostel was a little bit empty, well, 18 people had 3 toilets and showers for using. Tell us where was the real problem.

Spire Hostel, Dublin, Ireland
5.7
16th Mar 2014

I was here for Paddys day and it was REALLY over priced. It was also kind of a weird atmosphere, there were a lot of people that working/living at the hostel permanently and they weren't particularly friendly. No lockers in the rooms, but I didn't feel like anything would be stolen because everyone had cell phones left everywhere. It's a good location to O Connell's St, about 10minutes to temple bar. I think maybe it was just the atmosphere that was a bit off, not recommended for solo travelers.

Thank you for your review! Everyone is free to book a bed or not and the price concerned was there as the same for other place and you chose us, it was your decision only! Our property doesn't have lockers in the rooms which is normal but they are located at reception. The reason you have seen smart/mobile phones all over the place is because our hostel has friendly atmosphere as mentioned by most of reviews and also is a secure hostel. We also have only three volunteers as work exchange.

Flying Pig Downtown, Amsterdam, Netherlands
3rd Mar 2014

This was a good hostel, good location if you want to be near Dam Square. I'd recommend for solo or groups. Easy atmosphere.

Instant Groove! Party Hostel, Budapest, Hungary
4th Feb 2014

STAY HERE. This hostel is life changing! Honestly the staff here are some of the best people in the world. You feel like you're at home the minute you walk in. They take you sight seeing, feed you pizza and share their pa'linka (hungarian tequila). Two brothers own it (23, 24 YO) and their totally wild and it's WONDERFUL. Great for solo & groups, I first got to the hostel at 2pm with blaring techno and dancing. The hostel is on top of one of the biggest club in Budapest. I'll be back soon!

8.0
31st Jan 2014

Well the location is about as good as it gets and it was very clean. The hostel is massive though, and not ideal for solo travelers. I was upgraded (free of charge) to the female dorms, and maybe because of this, I didn't meet as many people as I would have. However, if you're two or a group, this place is great! Overall a good stay.

St Christopher's Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
13th Aug 2013

There are a couple people that are at reception that are kind of rude, but most of the staff is excellent. Location couldn't be better. Great for solo travellers. I stupidly left a pair of shorts and panties in the shower (twice) and both times no cleaner brought them to the desk, which makes me wonder what the cleaners do with the dirty panties though...

Brussels Hostel Grand Place, Brussels, Belgium
30th Jul 2013

The location is amazing and it's a great place to meet people, especially for solo travellers. The facilities are brand new and great, and the cleaning staff is excellent! It's kind of annoying you have to check in somewhere else and that no one is there to help (I didn't have sheets on my bed so I had to walk the whole back to the reception) I recommend it though.

7.7
28th Jul 2013

It's an old building, so the facilities aren't great but definitely acceptable. The location is within the old city, but about 15-20 minutes walk from the center. My iPad was stolen because the security is pretty poor. However, the staff is GREAT and the atmosphere is awesome! Great for solo travellers. They organise awesome things like free tours, beer tasting, and pub crawls (Caitlin's great!) and it's a much better crowd than the closer-to-the-center-Charlie rockets, I'd recommend it!

HI Europa Brugge, Bruges, Belgium
6.6
27th Jul 2013

The hostel isn't anywhere near the city center and reminds me more if summer camp than a hostel, the place is huge and there is a cafeteria. The staff is small and dull and doesn't really interact with you. There are a lot of people there but it's not a good atmosphere, wouldn't recommend for solo travellers.

St Christopher's at The Winston, Amsterdam, Netherlands
24th Jul 2013

The location is excellent, right near the train station and the red light district. The staff is good and it's a great place to meet people, but the downstairs room dot have privacy curtains or enough power outlets. Breakfast was good, checkout is a bit early, at 10

Thanks for bringing to our attention the issues about the curtains and power plugs. Will make sure that's all fixed up for your next visit ; ) By the way, it's only the free breakfast that ends at 10am, check out is actually 11am

Tekweni Backpackers Hostel, Durban, South Africa
13th Mar 2013

It's loud, dirty and sloppy, but very charming. It's great for solo travelers, maybe not so great for groups. It's very dirty, but the staff is fantastic and alot of fun, and there is no excuse to not have a great time. Try getting an upstairs bedroom - they are way cleaner and the bathrooms are much nice, FANTASTIC location.

All good but the dirty part. Did you really have to keep saying that? Difficult sometimes being a festive hostel but we thought we had a handle on it. Ok, we will chase that up some more. Thanks for the great review however. We can see you are a fan and hope to see you back at some point.

Jollyboys Backpackers, Livingstone, Zambia
6.9
7th Mar 2013

Jollyboys has a great vibe, but it's mostly only because of the travelers. Some of the staff is really great, but some of them are the opposite plus incompetent. The showers are disgusting - I showered with three spiders and their meals each time, and they do have regular power outrageous, and the Internet doesn't work frequently (even though you have to pay quite a bit for it). The kitchens food isn't really great, but I hear it used to be. The pool and lounge areas are awesome though.

Long Street Backpackers, Cape Town, South Africa
7.7
20th Feb 2013

The staff are all really great. There is a huge kitchen and balcony that overlooks Longstreet, plus a nice sized courtyard. The rooms are small and have only one outlet for charging electronics, the bathroom is not super exceptional either. You have to request blankets, that are huge wool things that clearly they can't wash. But it's a great place to meet people and its in a great location. I did stay at another hostel on long street though, which was alot cheaper and was was alot nicer.