Bathrooms were pretty gross and when my locker didn't work their solution was storing my laptop on an exposed shelf in their office where anyone could take it.

• 12th Oct 2013

Wombats City Hostel Munich

Munich, Germany

Value for money score is low because they jacked up the price for Oktoberfest but this was expected. Other times of year it's probably fine. As always, Wombats is a clean, safe, secure and comfortable choice. Massive rooms, so much space, great lockers and bathrooms, cute fake outdoor sitting area and bar and right near the train station which made life so easy.

• 26th Sep 2013
  • Globetrotter

Great location, comfortable and good facilities (bathrooms/security/wifi/kitchen/beds etc) but a bit dull. It's not a great place if you want to meet people so lone travellers may not like it. Beware arriving after 10pm, the staff does not like this.

• 9th Sep 2013

The Treehouse

Grunau im Almtal, Austria

Amazing hostel!!! Everyone was so nice and helpful, the food is great and there's so many outdoorsy things to do. This is a stunning place worth going out of your way for. Do it!!!

• 7th Sep 2013

Patio Hostel

Bratislava, Slovakia

Beautifully renovated rooms with great security, great wifi, good hangout area but the hostel was pretty empty when I stayed. Kitchen was a bit crappy, hopefully gets renovated soon. It was cheap and good value for money so I was very happy.

• 4th Sep 2013

Retox Party Hostel

Budapest, Hungary

You have to know what to expect coming here. It is a true party hostel, unlike any I had seen before. It was dirty, the doors didn't lock and staff routinely entered my room to use our showers. Much as I like to party, I don't like to live in the aftermath of it, so this place just wasn't for me. But the Party Hostels group is great, I moved to Carpe Noctem easily and you can still party at Retox which is great fun. The atmosphere is great and perfect for partying and drinking!

• 30th Aug 2013

Greg & Tom Party Hostel

Krakow, Poland

I was so surprised by this place! I knew what I was getting into with a party hostel as I was looking for a party and I definitely found one. Pub crawls every night, very cheap and full of free (though fluro coloured) alcohol beforehand. However what I wasn't prepared for was the value for money! So clean, great wifi, great bathrooms, breakfast and dinner included and all for a massively low price! Definitely worth a go if you want to enjoy the nightlife!

• 26th Aug 2013

Caledonian Backpackers

Edinburgh, Scotland

Staying in Edinburgh during fringe meant higher prices, but I think the rest of the year there is more value for money. Great location, it's easy to walk everywhere. Could easily print plane tickets for 10p, laundry was cheap and easy and there's VEGEMITE for all you Aussies missing home. The 38 bed dorm was a bit much but just go to the hostel pub or walk outside and you'll see 10+ pubs to feel like a true Scot. Would probably stay again, had good bathrooms and wifi too for booking trains etc

• 23rd Aug 2013

Clink78

The rooms in this hostel were so tiny, the five bunk beds in my dorm were flush up against each other with only a piece of metal separating you and the next person. The beds were comfortable but this was way too close for comfort. Good bathrooms and security (lockers above your bed and can only access your floor). Wifi was only available in the basement which was frustrating. The basement also had a nice bar. Not a great place to meet people, lacks in character, felt a bit like a number.

• 18th Aug 2013

Lisbon Destination Hostel

Lisbon, Portugal

Amazing hostel. Best location (right in the beautiful old train station which is in a prominent square), beautiful inside, great facilities (bathrooms, beds, lockers, wifi etc) and everyone is willing to give you advice on what to do. Great pub crawls and activities too. Shout out to Gill, he is awesome!

• 12th Aug 2013

Purple Nest Hostel Valencia

Valencia, Spain

This hostel is good but lacks a bit of character. very secure, mostly clean, decent kitchen, cheap bar (go for the sangria) and they offered a good pub crawl. Not the best location but public transport in Valencia isn't too bad. Barely saw any staff members aside from reception but the barman was a cool guy.

• 5th Aug 2013

Sant Jordi Arago Hostel

Barcelona, Spain

I wanted a hostel in Barcelona where I could meet people and party, but not a feral, dirty one. This was perfect. Great staff, so well airconned (extremely necessary for sleeping in July in Barca!) and perfect location. Couldn't really ask for more. I recommend the shots bar!!

• 25th Jul 2013
  • Globetrotter

Bit expensive for what it is, but you just have to expect it in high season and the location made up for it. Was right in the middle of Nice! Staff were super nice and willing to help you find good beaches and how to get everywhere. Was pretty easy to meet people in the bar and I loved the live music. I stayed in Saint Exupery Gardens for one night which was also great if there's no room here. The location isn't great but it's relaxing!

• 21st Jul 2013

Bled Hostel

Bled, Slovenia

Had a great time here. Newly renovated room, great access to outdoorsy activities which is what Bled is all about and very easy to meet people on the pub crawls (there's aren't many pubs in Bled but we make our own fun!) and in the kitchen/bar/courtyard. Bled is so small so this hostel is well-located near the station. Going to Slovenia and to Bled was amazing, everyone should go.

• 14th Jul 2013

Zeppelin Hostel

Ljubljana, Slovenia

I only stayed here for one night so I don't have the best experience of this hostel, but my brief stay was lovely. The staff was fantastic, the rooms were clean and comfortable, good bathrooms and very easy to get to and from the train station. I would probably stay again and stay longer so I could enjoy it and see the city.

• 13th Jul 2013

Dubrovnik Backpackers Club

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Located about 15 minutes outside Old Town by tram, so be prepared for that, particularly arriving at night. Other than that this is one of the best hostels I have ever stayed in. It feels like home! You are welcomed into the family with alcohol and hugs, there is a big family breakfast every morning and the trips to Montenegro and Bosnia lack that organised tour feel which is so unappealing in most tours. Best place in Dubrovnik. Took such good care of me when I arrived minus luggage!

• 3rd Jul 2013

Old Town Hostel

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Satisfactory hostel, maybe lacks a bit of character. It has a great location though, right in the heart of Dubrovnik.

• 1st Jul 2013

Rethymno Youth Hostel

Crete, Greece

So, I didn't look at a map before booking this and it turns out Rethymno is 1.5 hours from Heraklion! That said, in being silly I discovered such a beautiful place and a great hostel. Staff was fantastic, everything was super chill - except if you refuse a shot of Greek liqueur! Rethymno is an amazing town, pretty central for all the major spots in Crete, just don't book an early flight out because the first bus back to Heraklion is 6:30am. Would definitely stay here again!

• 26th Jun 2013

Youth Hostel Oia

Santorini, Greece

Bit of a quieter hostel in the peaceful part of Santorini. if you want a party, head for Fira, but Oia is perfect for that typical Greek experience. We had an epic view of the sunset, cheap sangria to drink while we watched it and a great location for going to do things. They explained things really well for activities and generally just made for a relaxing few days!

• 24th Jun 2013

Francesco's

Ios, Greece

Lost points for bathrooms, but the thing is you just don't care about the facilities! The view is amazing, you're at the beach all the time, everyone is nice and remembers exactly who you are and there are shots and pub crawls. Best hostel in Ios by far!

• 20th Jun 2013
  • Globetrotter

Outside of Mykonos town but it's pretty easy to get there by bus. I loved that it was a beach resort and I loved how secluded it was. But it being secluded was also a problem as everything there was a bit expensive for what it was (food, drinks, wifi etc) but I had fun anyway. There's a huge range of rooms depending on how much you want to spend and 5 euro for a beach lounge all day with gyros service is great!!

• 17th Jun 2013

City Circus Athens

Athens, Greece

An oasis in a creepy part of town. I arrived and thought I was in the wrong part of town. Deserted, everything shut down but this is a super safe hostel right in the middle of it. Acropolis views (but I think everything in Athens has that), right around the corner from a paradise of food and bars and cute shops. Amazing and cheap cocktails for sitting up on the roof enjoying the view. Beautiful rooms and just generally a nice place to be after a long day of seeing old things! Very close to train

• 15th Jun 2013
  • Globetrotter

This was a good hostel to stay at in Salzburg if you love the Sound of Music! It plays every night right next to the bar so cheap drinks flowed freely. Clean, secure, comfortable beds. It ticks the boxes!

• 13th Jun 2013
  • Globetrotter

Wombats is always a safe choice. It's always clean, secure, comfortable and easy. Loved the location near the Market, the food there rocked. Good bar, went off some nights! Didn't offer much in the way of activities (apparently Vienna doesn't allow many tours etc) but the staff helped us find cool stuff to do. Breakfast not included.

• 7th Jun 2013

Hostel99

Cesky Krumlov, Czech Republic

We all had the best time thanks to zazu (the manager). Great atmosphere, made for the perfect time in cesky krumlov.

• 5th Jun 2013

Thank you guys, I am really happy to hear that you like us! Zezo Duarte

St Christophers Prague

Prague, Czech Republic

Absolutely beautiful hostel. Best bathrooms I've ever seen - hotel standard. Clean, comfortable, secure rooms (you can only access your floor and there are lockers). The sports bar is spacious and has cheap drinks and slightly overpriced food. Breakfast at the equivalent of 5 euros was a bit steep but it was full continental not just cereal and toast. They offered pub crawls and walking tours etc. I really liked this hostel and would stay again. great location.

• 31st May 2013

Citystay Mitte

Berlin, Germany

Staff were not friendly. Our bus had been delayed in traffic and we arrived four hours late after a 14 hour journey at 10pm and one might expect a bit of compassion, but all we got was frowning and an angry "cash only". None of us had enough cash but were not allowed to pay in the morning and the nearest ATM was 400m away. Normally I wouldn't complain about this, but after 14 hours in traffic I was exhausted and cranky! A friendly face would have been nice. Otherwise was nice.

• 30th May 2013

Flying Pig Downtown

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Great hostel in Amsterdam. Perfect location right in the centre of town, has a cool lounge where everyone indulges in what Amsterdam has to offer. Very cool bar where it is easy to meet people. Not the greatest comfort and security but I didn't spend much time in my room so it didn't matter too much. I would stay here again. Breakfast was included.

• 25th May 2013

St Christopher's Village

One powerpoint for a ten bed dorm made life a bit difficult. Good bar, good location. Nothing remarkable but a safe, clean place to stay.

• 21st May 2013
  • Globetrotter

Accommodation in NYC is expensive as hell so I may not stay here next time solely because of that. That said, this is a good hostel for what I paid. Very clean, safe, secure and comfortable with an inbuilt cafe, lounge, basement pool room and epic kitchen (best equipped I've ever seen). They ran tours to different parts of NYC every day which I didn't do but they looked popular. Pub crawl was fun. Staff member who helped me when I had no bed for a night is a legend!

• 19th May 2013

Jazz on the Park-Hostel

New York, USA

So not worth the $50 a night I paid. I know accom in NYC is expensive but this hostel offered nothing for the money besides a rickety bed, a dirty bathroom and no elevator for my top floor room. I would not stay here again and only did so at this time because I was desperate.

• 17th May 2013
  • Globetrotter

Great hostel! In the shadier part of town but great price, great atmosphere, cheap as greasy breakfast which was perfect for after the big nights out. The crawfish boil was a standout. Perfect price and great to stay at during the jazz festival. Big win.

• 25th Apr 2013
  • Globetrotter

Loved the laundry service. It was so worth the $10 not to have to do it myself for once on my trip! It came back all folded and nice. Lacks atmosphere and there weren't any activities on offer but thankfully the people were friendly and easy to meet so we made our own fun. Good location near public transport, made my time in Boston quite nice but the hostel is unremarkable.

• 21st Apr 2013

HI - Washington DC Hostel

Washington DC, USA

Staff handled a free-loader found in our room very swiftly, but the fact that she managed to stay there for several days without detection freaks me out a bit. The lack of age restriction in HI hostels creates a lack of atmosphere for traveller as there were two school camps there. They offered tours and pub crawls so it became easier to meet young people (not kids :P). Good location in a safe area, comfortable, good wifi, lift was useless. Good hostel, maybe not for young travellers.

• 18th Apr 2013
  • Globetrotter

For a place that got cleaned four times per day it never seemed overly clean! :p This is a great place to experience the beach and party life that is Miami Beach and I loved every minute. Initially I found it hard to meet people, but the nights out made that super easy and everyone was so friendly. Great location, passable rooms, bathrooms and beds, but no lockers. Had a great time here and would stay again.

• 10th Apr 2013

Hostel Cat

Las Vegas, USA

Internet super slow, useless for booking a flight. Staff were great particularly davina and chandler who ran lots of great activities which made for a fun night life. The Saturday limo ride was a standout. Downside: I got a lot of stuff stolen. Obviously I locked up the important things in the tiny locker but who expects half their toiletries and make up to disappear (including a roll on deodorant which is just gross)? So I ended up leaving early just to stop losing things. Vibe was great though

• 4th Apr 2013

USA Hostels San Francisco

San Francisco, USA

Great hostel considering how huge it was. Very secure, loved the individual bathrooms, I so rarely get privacy while I am traveling! They offered heaps of activities, the unlimited pancake breakfast was great for the thrifty traveller and the nighttime activities were good fun. Even when a pub crawl was cancelled due to lack of interest, the staff took a few of us out and it was great that they wanted us to have fun!

• 27th Mar 2013

USA Hostels Hollywood

Los Angeles, USA

Very good hostel. Not the safest location in Hollywood, but when going out at night there's always a massive group so it's not really unsafe. They offer so many activities including hikes to Runyon Canyon and buses to Santa Monica which makes being a tourist around LA much easier as it's hard to get around without a car. Beautiful, safe, comfortable and secure rooms and a fun bar area with cheap drinks and fun staff for night fun.

• 21st Mar 2013