Reviews: danielmcelroy35065

Location: USA, Gender: Male, Age: 29

All in all a good hostel. Not much good or bad to say. It's comfortable, clean, and the bed was super comfortable (double/private). Staff was helpful and hostel was fairly quiet. They have a pool table and a good area for people to hang out.

Pick diff. Hostel - not enough room for all complaints (contacting HW directly with full complaint): Guy at front desk very poor. Toilet was clogged; he appeared annoyed, said he'd fix it, never did. Were on 7th floor; closest toilet was 8th (also broken). Had to walk 7 flights to use toilet b/c elevator was also broken! Couldn't shower or use faucet b/c water was boiling hot. Beds very hard/awkwardly placed (8pax dorm). Bar is loud (floor 7). Bar staff uninviting/unenthusiastic, 1 was asleep...

Hai Au Hotel

Hoi An, Vietnam

Absolutely exceptional hostel/hotel! They remember your name, take an earnest interest in what you're doing, and were very concerned about maximizing our comfort! They're a bit more per night but they are more than worth it! Pool is pretty decent, breakfast is amazing, and staff are exceptional! The only little, tiny, not-that-big-of-a-deal thing is that you have to walk 15-20 mins to get into the main part of town... It's a lovely walk though and scooters are super cheap! Wi-fi was average.

Tiny Tigers

Da Lat, Vietnam

Tiny Tigers is one of those rare hostels that backpackers hope to find but almost never do. They have created a very tight knit family culture, everyone eats together, goes out to drink / sing karaoke, canyoning, bike tours together, etc! The excursions are amazing and I can't say enough about the owners of Tiny Tigers. One small thing to keep in mind in the morning is that 4 dorm rooms share 2 bathrooms ... Everyone figures it out though! Truly an outstanding hostel. My favorite one in Asia!

Vy Khanh Hostel

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

Great room and outstanding staff. They were very helpful and had an exceptional location. If you are looking for a nice, quiet, and helpful place to see Saigon from, this place is great! We got a private room, so we may not have seen the atmosphere completely, but there really is no "hostel atmosphere." More of a hotel experience than a hostel experience. Huu was super awesome though ... thanks for everything!

Dear Guests, Thank you for your comment. We love to see you again with special price. Warm regards from Vy Khanh Guesthouse, Ms Vy

Bliss Villa

Siem Reap, Cambodia

Overall this place was a very solid hoatel. Pool is awesome and people hang out around it... Good place to meet people! Free coffee/tea in lobby! Staff is friendly and helped a ton with booking busses, getting Vietnam visa, lining up tuk tuk drivers, etc. close to Pub Street and Night Market! Comfortable beds. Good/secure lockers in room (only one key per dorm though - so rooms don't lock). Great place to see Angkor Wat from.

Encounters Hostel and Guest House

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

This hostel is made great by Robert and his wife. Robert does indeed talk a lot, but he was always fun to listen to & full of useful tips, advice, and stories about Phnom Penh! There's a night guard so security is good, the Tuc Tuc drivers will get you everywhere you need to go and location is good within the city. It's a small hostel, so atmosphere and meeting people is easier/better. Great hostel! My only small concern was that the beds are pretty creaky at night... but nota huge deal! Thanks!

Reggae Mansion Kuala Lumpur

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Huge hostel w/ tons of things backpackers love! They have an awesome roof top bar, great beds in the dorm rooms, good place to eat & has a cool Victorian feel to it. By becoming so big tho they've sacrificed in other areas. Above Avg rooms at Above avg costs, stifled atmosphere, & front desk staff is professional but didn't mention many things that other front desks do (ie. KL busses are free, here's how to get to...) They didn't mention the Thaipusam festival going on at the time, just too busy

This is the 2nd time I've stayed at this hostel and I highly recommend it. Great location and staff is very helpful and speaks great english. Overall, a great experience! ... Here are some little issues to mention tho: Coffee/food is a bit over-priced, it's chilly in the common area, and the directions to the hostel are ridiculous: "... transfer to the subway Line 2,and get off at Anyuanmen, go out at Entrance and walk 30 meters to our hostel." What direction? What floor of the building?

Thank you for the love of the hotel, thank you recommend your questions, we will change our tips as soon as possible, I wish you all the best travel in China

Great hostel ... 3rd time I've stayed there now. We tried a private room this time and everything was great. The only small issue was the bathroom drain in the shower (in the private room) isn't low enough, so the whole shower/bathroom fills with an inch of water. Not a huge deal, just a bit wet. I like the atmosphere though and the new hostel dog is awesome :)

I actually really like this hostel. It's the 3rd hostel I've stayed at in Luoyang now and I wasn't sure what to expect; but the atmosphere is really cool, the front desk staff are very helpful, and the location is good for most things in Luoyang. If you are going to Longmen Grottoes or Whitehorse Temple, the other 2 hostels are a bit closer ... but it's a taxi/bus ride no matter how you do it. I'd highly recommend this hostel.

• 7th Nov 2014

Hong Kong Hostel

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

It's hard to rate this place b/c it's an apartment room. They basically own apartment rooms and then rent them out as hostel rooms. We checked in at the desk and then a lady took us back down the elevator, across the street & back up another elevator to our room. That said, the people/staff were awesome and the atmosphere, although somewhat unusual, turned out to be pretty cool once we were in our room. Socialization is easy because you are all sharing an apartment. Cleanliness was okay.

• 3rd Oct 2014

RiverSide YHA (Jiangpan)

Guangzhou, China

All around a "good" hostel. Not great but certainly worth the money to stay at. The atmosphere is good and I have absolutely no complaints there. The front desk staff were as helpful as they could be and very friendly. My girlfriend and I stayed in 2 separate mixed rooms... mine was pretty clean; hers was not clean at all. I definitely would recommend this hostel but it won't be a life-changing experience or anything... very avg hostel; what you'd expect in China. Super cheap beer!

• 1st Oct 2014
  • Globetrotter

Location is good for northern side of Beijing. The big things to see in Beijing are farther south tho (still only a cheap metro ride away). The biggest problem I had was that the atmosphere was non-existent and the ROOMS ARE THE SMALLEST I HAVE EVER SEEN! I was with my gf and we each got a "room" that was the width and length of a twin bed and maybe 4 ft tall... Seriously they're stacked on top of each other. Maybe normal for Chinese people; but just not acceptable by western standards... Sorry

Hello, thank you for your comments. Our location is right next to 2 major subway lines, which makes it the most convenient in Beijing. You stayed in the single capsule mini-rooms (1.7m in height and around 3m in width). They are very small - but also very cheap (!) - which makes them Beijing's best budget option for guests looking for a cheap private space. Next time, please try our hotel double/twin rooms - or even a garden suite with private patio area. See you next time! Regards, The DRUM

Purple Monkey Pai

Pai, Thailand

Purple Monkey has a culture of its own that fits in with the laid back culture of Pai. They do indeed have a monkey and he is pretty cool! They have pit bulls who are friendly and chihuahuas (one does nip a bit). The monkey does bite a bit but not hard. The hostel is just over a bridge away from the main walking street... If you rent a scooter there's a bit of a steep trail to get to the hostel (not bad unless your a beginner). The bungalow is awesome; non-flush toilets take getting used to tho.

Aoi Garden Home

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Amazing atmosphere! They'll make you feel at home for sure. If you need anything... they will help you! "T" helped line up every aspect if out stay from booking elephants, to scooters, and a bus to Pai. They organized a fun group trip to see a lady boy concert which was awesome! My gf hurt her foot and it felt like the entire staff rallied together to help her :) great people Great hostel! Small things: bags were stored behind an unlocked door

Bodega Bangkok

Bangkok, Thailand

This is one of those hostels that justu feels like home. Super friendly staff, very good business sense and understand what people are looking for in a hostel. They have a great are for people to meet/socialize, fun party culture, good walking tour, within 10 mins walking distance of major metro stop,

Tid Tarad Hostel Hua Hin

Hua Hin, Thailand

I really liked this hostel! They remembered our names at the front desk, I love leaving flip flops at the front door, security felt good in the private room, location to the night market is 1min away... All in all it's a great place with friendly staff! The only thing it lacks is culture ... There isn't a place to hang out, mingle, or meet other travelers. There's a million places to eat, drink, and party in the city though so it's not a big deal! It is a great, quiet hostel ...Highly recommend!

Pineapple Guesthouse

Phuket, Thailand

I liked this hostel & for Karon Beach it is perfect. It's a 3 min walk to the beach & there are tons of restaurants, shops & bars nearby. The lady who owns/works there is super nice & speaks English well! She's very helpful & was very welcoming for our 1st day in Thailand. There's a safe in the room & the cleaning lady did an exceptionally good job! There isn't a great area to meet people in the hostel (just go to the beach!); A/C unit didn't really work even after cleaning it (got a bit hot).

Good atmosphere! Multiple places that people can mingle w/ other people. This hostel is very international & they speak english well. It has a good bar and the food is alright (both are slightly expensive but expected for those who get stuck in hostels). The only complaints I have are: The directions to the hostel kinda sucked, your room card controls the A/C, lights, & outlets so when people leave in the morning phones are buzzing on and off & the A/C dies.... little things though; good place!

Thank you for choosing our hostle,We really hope you have enjoyed your stay here. We always try our best at providing you with quality service and assist you with any questions you may have. We also always welcome new tourists to our hostel and provide them with the same quality of service and assistance.

A pleasant surprise! Everything was great and what you'd expect from a hostel in a big city. I was a bit surprised b/c Luoyang can feel off the beaten path for the average tourist in China... but this hostel has a good bar, reasonable prices, is clean, and has a cool location in Old Town Luoyang. I'd highly recommend it! (If you are looking for a good location to Longmen, Shaolin, and White Horse Temple you won't find one ... they are all far from each other so this hostel is as good as any).

• 28th Feb 2014
  • Globetrotter

Average hostel; they have the ability to be great though! Harbin doesn't have many hostels & this one could be the best. Food & bar area is massive; drinks are good & environment was awesome with live music. Rooms were nice & clean as well. I think the "over-heating" problem is fixed from previous comments ... we were comfortable. English at reception & bar is barely manageable; location is ok b/c it's close to metro line; it's a new hostel so they're still working out some of the details.

• 5th Feb 2014

Saga Youth Hostel

Beijing, China

They have all the amenities you could want; tour options are awesome (highly recommend the 1st Great Wall Tour on the list); Staff was very helpful and speaks English: This hostel takes business very seriously and has gone to great lengths to ensure everything is the best. The environment is great and the bar/hang out area is exceptional. The food and drinks are super good but really expensive (worth the price) and the lady who works the bar is absolutely awesome! Bar closes noon-6pm :(

• 27th Jan 2014

Suzhou Watertown Hostel

Suzhou, China

This was a good hostel, cool atmosphere & I would recommend it to others! We were there during the off season so things were a bit slower. The only small issues we had were: We booked a 4 bed mixed dorm online but when we got there they didn't have it... we ended up paying extra to get a private room. The 2nd small issue was that the room was pretty cold. I prefer to sleep cold but it was a little too cold (the heater turned on but just kinda blew air around rather than heating the room).

• 20th Jan 2014

Touran Backpacker Hostel

Hangzhou, China

One of my favorite hostels I've seen in China! Owen and the rest of the staff were extremely fun, adventurous, and helpful with everything! The food was great (highly recommend Spaghetti Carbonara) and prices were definitely reasonable. I also really liked the overall feel and atmosphere or Touran. The directions seemed tough to follow when we were arriving, but they really are accurate if you just follow them exactly (Get off the bus at the zoo stop right after a major intersection).

• 18th Jan 2014

Dear Dan Thanks for your great comment,I hope we can meet each other again Owen

Reasonably located near a metro station

This truly was a legitimately great hostel. Good common area, attracts true travelers and a fun diverse crowd. English is casually spoken at the front desk and beds are great. The patio/koi pond thing is really awesome too. Great atmosphere. Thanks!

U Hostels

Madrid, Spain

This is a solid hostel. Extremely nice for a hostel and all the showers, bathrooms, hang out areas on each floor, are all super modern and new looking. The character was great but it is a little trickier to meet random people in this hostel because it is sooo big and spread out that people have a funny way of separating into groups. They DO plan cool evening outings though and a lot of people can go out and meet that way ... I just found it a little tough to meet people during the day.

Hostel One Sants

Barcelona, Spain

FAVORITE HOSTEL IN EUROPE! Rapha is the heartbeat of the hostel! The entire staff are super cool, no one just works in this hostel they live the mentality of a traveler. There are Sangria lessons, unexpected gravity defeating surprizes (go to find out ;) .... LINDA the cleaning lady is really nice!, worlds best party coordinator, FREE (& good) dinner; they ask where your going & then give tips about cool things in that area... It truly felt like leaving home and leaving a family. Cheers guys!

St Christopher's Village

The hostel is affiliated with the bar next door. The bouncers are big guys with small brains and like to antagonize people just so they can throw them out. I am a reasonable guy and always try to be fair but this hostel will not get a good rating from me. The bouncers lied to the hostel staff saying I was fighting with them (b/c I met 3 other guys who got kicked out). The hostel did not hear my side and kicked me out of the hostel - no $ back, no deposit, & after midnight. SERIOUS ABUSE OF POWER

Four Courts Hostel

Dublin, Ireland

This truly was an outstanding hostel. Amazing atmosphere, extremely accomodating staff, good areas to hang out ... I just can´t say enough good about this place, I´ve seen a lot of hostels and this one seems to have hit it spot on with the details! Little things like helping with planning a day trip, or providing free international phones, earnest sincerity behind the reception desk. I highly recommend stopping by! Thanks for everything guys!

This hostel was really great. Kylie (staff) was super laid back and always willing to help and be flexible! They understand what being a backpacker is like and this hostel has done a lot to make travelling simple and comfortable. This was one of those hostels that had a really cool crowd! Be carefully though ... It is easy to spend the whole day in the hostel because its so cool :) Best showers I have seen since I've been travelling so far. Highly recommend!

I liked this hostel but I stayed in its sister hostel (Alessandro downtown) and liked the downtown hostel more. The biggest advantage of this one though, is it has a bar.

Decent hostel for sure! I would recommend it... The directions were awesome on the site, despite the fact that its fairly complicated getting there. Good place! Naples kinda sucks but this hostel is awesome ;)

C.C.Ly Hostel

Catania, Italy

I had one of the most unique hostel experiences at CCly since I've been traveling ver a month now. They do a ton of extra little things that combine into a great experience. ALL of the staff is super nice and they make an amazing meal most nights that try let me join for a couple Euros. Other little things: they do your laundry for you for cheap (sun dry), they have chess and puzzle things in the common area, they helped me plan a day trip to Etna... And so on. Just very friendly anaccommodatin

I loved this hostel. It definitely is a bit of a party hostel and people can come in late, but I liked it a lot and would highly recommend it. Staff is awesome and very helpful. The only thing that was slightly annoying is that I had to switch rooms during the last night of my reservation and 2 other friends in my original room had to switch on rooms on their 2nd day. But not a huge deal in the end. Cheers!

Generator Hostel Hamburg

Hamburg, Germany

This hostel is great! It just has everything you would expect from a good hostel ... Friendly and helpful staff, a bar, even a security guy at the door! Highly recommend

Aloha Hostel

Paris, France

Had a great stay! the staff all speak English and are very willing to help in anyway possible! thanks!