Reviews: danielmcelroy35065

Location: USA, Gender: Male, Age: 28

Hong Kong Hostel

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

It's hard to rate this place b/c it's an apartment room. They basically own apartment rooms and then rent them out as hostel rooms. We checked in at the desk and then a lady took us back down the elevator, across the street & back up another elevator to our room. That said, the people/staff were awesome and the atmosphere, although somewhat unusual, turned out to be pretty cool once we were in our room. Socialization is easy because you are all sharing an apartment. Cleanliness was okay.

• 3rd Oct 2014

RiverSide YHA (Jiangpan)

Guangzhou, China

All around a "good" hostel. Not great but certainly worth the money to stay at. The atmosphere is good and I have absolutely no complaints there. The front desk staff were as helpful as they could be and very friendly. My girlfriend and I stayed in 2 separate mixed rooms... mine was pretty clean; hers was not clean at all. I definitely would recommend this hostel but it won't be a life-changing experience or anything... very avg hostel; what you'd expect in China. Super cheap beer!

• 1st Oct 2014
  • Globetrotter

Location is good for northern side of Beijing. The big things to see in Beijing are farther south tho (still only a cheap metro ride away). The biggest problem I had was that the atmosphere was non-existent and the ROOMS ARE THE SMALLEST I HAVE EVER SEEN! I was with my gf and we each got a "room" that was the width and length of a twin bed and maybe 4 ft tall... Seriously they're stacked on top of each other. Maybe normal for Chinese people; but just not acceptable by western standards... Sorry

Purple Monkey Pai

Pai, Thailand

Purple Monkey has a culture of its own that fits in with the laid back culture of Pai. They do indeed have a monkey and he is pretty cool! They have pit bulls who are friendly and chihuahuas (one does nip a bit). The monkey does bite a bit but not hard. The hostel is just over a bridge away from the main walking street... If you rent a scooter there's a bit of a steep trail to get to the hostel (not bad unless your a beginner). The bungalow is awesome; non-flush toilets take getting used to tho.

Aoi Garden Home

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Amazing atmosphere! They'll make you feel at home for sure. If you need anything... they will help you! "T" helped line up every aspect if out stay from booking elephants, to scooters, and a bus to Pai. They organized a fun group trip to see a lady boy concert which was awesome! My gf hurt her foot and it felt like the entire staff rallied together to help her :) great people Great hostel! Small things: bags were stored behind an unlocked door

Bodega Bangkok

Bangkok, Thailand

This is one of those hostels that justu feels like home. Super friendly staff, very good business sense and understand what people are looking for in a hostel. They have a great are for people to meet/socialize, fun party culture, good walking tour, within 10 mins walking distance of major metro stop,

Tid Tarad Hostel Hua Hin

Hua Hin, Thailand

I really liked this hostel! They remembered our names at the front desk, I love leaving flip flops at the front door, security felt good in the private room, location to the night market is 1min away... All in all it's a great place with friendly staff! The only thing it lacks is culture ... There isn't a place to hang out, mingle, or meet other travelers. There's a million places to eat, drink, and party in the city though so it's not a big deal! It is a great, quiet hostel ...Highly recommend!

Pineapple Guesthouse

Phuket, Thailand

I liked this hostel & for Karon Beach it is perfect. It's a 3 min walk to the beach & there are tons of restaurants, shops & bars nearby. The lady who owns/works there is super nice & speaks English well! She's very helpful & was very welcoming for our 1st day in Thailand. There's a safe in the room & the cleaning lady did an exceptionally good job! There isn't a great area to meet people in the hostel (just go to the beach!); A/C unit didn't really work even after cleaning it (got a bit hot).

Good atmosphere! Multiple places that people can mingle w/ other people. This hostel is very international & they speak english well. It has a good bar and the food is alright (both are slightly expensive but expected for those who get stuck in hostels). The only complaints I have are: The directions to the hostel kinda sucked, your room card controls the A/C, lights, & outlets so when people leave in the morning phones are buzzing on and off & the A/C dies.... little things though; good place!

Thank you for choosing our hostle,We really hope you have enjoyed your stay here. We always try our best at providing you with quality service and assist you with any questions you may have. We also always welcome new tourists to our hostel and provide them with the same quality of service and assistance.

A pleasant surprise! Everything was great and what you'd expect from a hostel in a big city. I was a bit surprised b/c Luoyang can feel off the beaten path for the average tourist in China... but this hostel has a good bar, reasonable prices, is clean, and has a cool location in Old Town Luoyang. I'd highly recommend it! (If you are looking for a good location to Longmen, Shaolin, and White Horse Temple you won't find one ... they are all far from each other so this hostel is as good as any).

• 28th Feb 2014
  • Globetrotter

Average hostel; they have the ability to be great though! Harbin doesn't have many hostels & this one could be the best. Food & bar area is massive; drinks are good & environment was awesome with live music. Rooms were nice & clean as well. I think the "over-heating" problem is fixed from previous comments ... we were comfortable. English at reception & bar is barely manageable; location is ok b/c it's close to metro line; it's a new hostel so they're still working out some of the details.

• 5th Feb 2014

Saga Youth Hostel

Beijing, China

They have all the amenities you could want; tour options are awesome (highly recommend the 1st Great Wall Tour on the list); Staff was very helpful and speaks English: This hostel takes business very seriously and has gone to great lengths to ensure everything is the best. The environment is great and the bar/hang out area is exceptional. The food and drinks are super good but really expensive (worth the price) and the lady who works the bar is absolutely awesome! Bar closes noon-6pm :(

• 27th Jan 2014

Suzhou Watertown Hostel

Suzhou, China

This was a good hostel, cool atmosphere & I would recommend it to others! We were there during the off season so things were a bit slower. The only small issues we had were: We booked a 4 bed mixed dorm online but when we got there they didn't have it... we ended up paying extra to get a private room. The 2nd small issue was that the room was pretty cold. I prefer to sleep cold but it was a little too cold (the heater turned on but just kinda blew air around rather than heating the room).

• 20th Jan 2014

Touran Backpacker Hostel

Hangzhou, China

One of my favorite hostels I've seen in China! Owen and the rest of the staff were extremely fun, adventurous, and helpful with everything! The food was great (highly recommend Spaghetti Carbonara) and prices were definitely reasonable. I also really liked the overall feel and atmosphere or Touran. The directions seemed tough to follow when we were arriving, but they really are accurate if you just follow them exactly (Get off the bus at the zoo stop right after a major intersection).

• 18th Jan 2014

Dear Dan Thanks for your great comment,I hope we can meet each other again Owen

Reasonably located near a metro station

This truly was a legitimately great hostel. Good common area, attracts true travelers and a fun diverse crowd. English is casually spoken at the front desk and beds are great. The patio/koi pond thing is really awesome too. Great atmosphere. Thanks!

U Hostels

Madrid, Spain

This is a solid hostel. Extremely nice for a hostel and all the showers, bathrooms, hang out areas on each floor, are all super modern and new looking. The character was great but it is a little trickier to meet random people in this hostel because it is sooo big and spread out that people have a funny way of separating into groups. They DO plan cool evening outings though and a lot of people can go out and meet that way ... I just found it a little tough to meet people during the day.

Hostel One Sants

Barcelona, Spain

FAVORITE HOSTEL IN EUROPE! Rapha is the heartbeat of the hostel! The entire staff are super cool, no one just works in this hostel they live the mentality of a traveler. There are Sangria lessons, unexpected gravity defeating surprizes (go to find out ;) .... LINDA the cleaning lady is really nice!, worlds best party coordinator, FREE (& good) dinner; they ask where your going & then give tips about cool things in that area... It truly felt like leaving home and leaving a family. Cheers guys!

St Christopher's Village

The hostel is affiliated with the bar next door. The bouncers are big guys with small brains and like to antagonize people just so they can throw them out. I am a reasonable guy and always try to be fair but this hostel will not get a good rating from me. The bouncers lied to the hostel staff saying I was fighting with them (b/c I met 3 other guys who got kicked out). The hostel did not hear my side and kicked me out of the hostel - no $ back, no deposit, & after midnight. SERIOUS ABUSE OF POWER

Four Courts Hostel

Dublin, Ireland

This truly was an outstanding hostel. Amazing atmosphere, extremely accomodating staff, good areas to hang out ... I just can´t say enough good about this place, I´ve seen a lot of hostels and this one seems to have hit it spot on with the details! Little things like helping with planning a day trip, or providing free international phones, earnest sincerity behind the reception desk. I highly recommend stopping by! Thanks for everything guys!

This hostel was really great. Kylie (staff) was super laid back and always willing to help and be flexible! They understand what being a backpacker is like and this hostel has done a lot to make travelling simple and comfortable. This was one of those hostels that had a really cool crowd! Be carefully though ... It is easy to spend the whole day in the hostel because its so cool :) Best showers I have seen since I've been travelling so far. Highly recommend!

I liked this hostel but I stayed in its sister hostel (Alessandro downtown) and liked the downtown hostel more. The biggest advantage of this one though, is it has a bar.

Decent hostel for sure! I would recommend it... The directions were awesome on the site, despite the fact that its fairly complicated getting there. Good place! Naples kinda sucks but this hostel is awesome ;)

C.C.Ly Hostel

Catania, Italy

I had one of the most unique hostel experiences at CCly since I've been traveling ver a month now. They do a ton of extra little things that combine into a great experience. ALL of the staff is super nice and they make an amazing meal most nights that try let me join for a couple Euros. Other little things: they do your laundry for you for cheap (sun dry), they have chess and puzzle things in the common area, they helped me plan a day trip to Etna... And so on. Just very friendly anaccommodatin

I loved this hostel. It definitely is a bit of a party hostel and people can come in late, but I liked it a lot and would highly recommend it. Staff is awesome and very helpful. The only thing that was slightly annoying is that I had to switch rooms during the last night of my reservation and 2 other friends in my original room had to switch on rooms on their 2nd day. But not a huge deal in the end. Cheers!

Generator Hostel Hamburg

Hamburg, Germany

This hostel is great! It just has everything you would expect from a good hostel ... Friendly and helpful staff, a bar, even a security guy at the door! Highly recommend

Aloha Hostel

Paris, France

Had a great stay! the staff all speak English and are very willing to help in anyway possible! thanks!