Nice location, nice beds, nice bar... This hostel isn't amazing but it is nice. A kitchen would be super -- officially you're not even meant to bring your own food in -- but apart from that no complaints.

Hostel Lodi

Rome, Italy

Brilliant hostel. Walking distance from the Colosseum... Well, sort of. It's half an hour away. But close enough to the cheap metro (1,50€ a ride). You'll definitely be saving more than 3€ here, though. Amazing staff, always happy to help and so considerate (brought us juice when it was hot!) , comfortable rooms and breakfast. In a cute little suburban area with gorgeous restaurants. Absolutely amazing place to experience Rome -- stay here!

The Apsley Ski Lodge

Wildschonau Valley, Austria

Massively cute -- really close to one of the lifts so you can head up into the mountains. Not in the biggest town but there's a supermarket where you can get whatever you need. No kitchen unfortunately, but lots of well-priced restaurants around in the hotels nearby. I would definitely recommend it!

Euro Youth Hostel

Munich, Germany

There's nothing wrong with this hostel. It's an easy walk from the main street and important sites like H&M, and it's clean and comfortable. Each bed has a little curtain, a lamp and a socket, which is appreciated! But it is not small, so if you prefer a smaller place I'd keep searching. But as far as bigger hostels go, this one is great.

Believe-it-or-Not

Vienna, Austria

Staying here is like being at your friend's apartment. The beds are comfortable, the bathrooms and kitchen completely modern and well-stocked, the living room is amazing... Fantastic location, easy walk to the museums and even to the centre of town. Honestly, I'm trying and falling to find any fault with it at all... I guess the water pressure in the shower is a little high? Oh, who am I kidding? This is the best hostel I've been to, ever. Stay here!

Hostel99

Cesky Krumlov, Czech Republic

Really cute little hostel, lots of places to relax and walking distance from everything, since Česky K is miniature. I really recommend it!

Charles Bridge Economic Hostel

Prague, Czech Republic

You know what? I'm going to write "stay here" a few times in capitals and you can just trust me. STAY HERE STAY HERE STAY HERE (and thank me later).

Hostel Mondpalast

Dresden, Germany

Forget the tourist trap, you're in the New Town on the best street in Dresden. Really friendly people, great atmosphere, the rooms are huge and comfortable. I'll be back.

Riverside Lodge Berlin

Berlin, Germany

Youth Hostel Meetingpoint

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Amsterdam is expensive. This hostel isn't. If you're going to stay here, two things: avoid that 18 bed dorm at all cost; nobody is that much of a people person. And get used to the smell of weed, because the place is a hotbox. The Wifi only works in the bar, which plays that song by that 13 year-old Spanish kid on repeat, but sometimes sports so I guess it's okay. Great location for debauchery, not so much culture, and it's far away from the sandwich shop I like. Look, the hostel is manageable.

Lybeer Travellers' Hostel

Bruges, Belgium

Lybeer is, admittedly, still a building site. What they've done already is amazing, though, and the rooms and modern and clean and comfortable. Oh, and the showers!! The location amazing -- near Belgium's finest fries at Chez Vincent! Staff are pretty okay, not the friendliest but still happy to help (especially with Dutch pronunciation). I'll be back!

Not a terrible hostel. The Wifi was dreadful but the breakfast was excellent, so I guess that evens things out. The location, in the 18eme, is really borderline... You're not really in Montmatre, all the good stuff is over the hill. Sacre Coeur is right there, but everything else takes a while to get to. Not amazing, all in all, but with Parisian prices the way they are this hostel is doable on a budget. But I think I'll spend more on something better next time.

Castanea Old Town Hostel

Stockholm, Sweden

Great hostel -- amazing facilities, top notch showers! And the location can't be topped. Little bit of a security issue; the reception isn't 24 hour so when one tenant got very, very drunk we had to end up calling the police. Fun times! But that was very much the exception and not the rule; I'll definitely be coming back to Castanea whenever I return to Stockholm.

Astor Hyde Park

Excellent excellent location, great cooking facilities, always something going on. Not the quietest hostel going but still really good.