Hostel Strowis

Utrecht, Netherlands

A welcoming hostel with lovley garden. Small kitchen but not an issue in a city with so many eating and drinking possibilities. I couldn't seem to log onto the wifi but I think that was my computer problem and not the hostels's. Very helpful staff. Hostel is on noisy street with late night revellers and horses making a racket on the cobblestones in the early hours.

Hostel Gamla Stan

Stockholm, Sweden

great to have proper beds rather than bunks - in 6-bed dorm

Friends Hostel - Vosstaniya

St Petersburg, Russia

Fantastic location and staff spoke excellent English and were helpful in every way they could. The kitchen on each floor was just a kettel, microwave and fridge but enough for making breakfast and sandwiches. Free laundry was a real bonus for me. No other English speakers seemed to be staying there but that has been par for the course across most of Russia. Excellent overall and would recommend

Smile Hostel

Nizhny Novgorod, Russia

no cooker in the kitchen but I taught them how to hard boil an egg in the microwave. Staff spoke little English but tried to help me where they ccould.

Gorky 6 Hostel

Kazan, Russia

Staff spoke good English, which was a bit help as I was the only foreigner staying there. I had booked a 4-bed dorm and was the only person in it for the 2 nights I was there. The place was very clean with plenty of space for relaxing.

8 Floor Hostel

Tomsk, Russia

If I hadn't had a fantastic taxi driver who worked out the hostel phone number then called them I never would have found the place in the dark. But once there was welcomed warmly by Olga (who has now gone on a month's leave) and shown to the very hot 4-bed dorm. In fact the whole apartment was very hot. The other people staying there were volunteers on a course to take part in the hosting of the Winter olympics in Sochi in Feb 2014. Location was fantastic, half way between the city and train

Baikaler Hostel

Irkutsk, Russia

Staff were helpful whenever I asked anything. Kitchen was small but did the job ok. Two toilets and one shower were just about enough for everyone - not too much queuing. I would recommend.

lovely free pick up from the train. Put in room above pub but as no one in pub that was fine. Great location in the Old Town. Dorm spread out so that even with 5 of us spread within 3 rooms it wasn't crowded

Exceptionally helpful staff and hostel in good location, close to the river and a row of excellent cheap eating places

Good location, helful staff but rubbish wifi. Free beer on arrival was much appreciated and needed.

Saigon Youth Hostel

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

If you want to be in the centre of the backpacker district this is perfect. Vey clean, basic breakfast (but sufficient) and helpful staff with good map and directions. Slightly strange bathroom in that the ventilation came from a gap at the top of the wall that was shared with the neighbouring bathroom. No problem if you keep the bathroom door closed when not in use.

@Hua Lamphong

Bangkok, Thailand

being directly oppossite the central train station this is perfect for the early morning train to Cambodia . Also well positioned for post office, MRT and Chinatown (great for night time eating). Reception staff answered all my questions well. Bathroom took all day to drain but I'm getting used to flooded bathrooms now so nothing unusual. Good wifi in room despite being on 4th floor. Would stay again.

Huttonlodge

Penang, Malaysia

very kind receptionist let me have early check in at 10am aand looked after bag until then from when I arrived at 8am. Basic breakfast but sufficient.

Sinclairs City Hostel

Sydney, Australia

As most the customers were young foreign english language students this place is great if you want a quite hostel, on the bus route to both the beach and the city, which is also within walking distance of the city and Central Station. As you only have to share with one other person it feels like a house share rather than a hostel. Free breakfast not bad. Not sure what gbackpackers would think of it but recomended for those not wanting a party hostel. Quiet despite being on a very busy road.