Retox Party Hostel

Budapest, Hungary

I stayed in the winter, which I'm sure it totally different than the summer. Staff were a little burnt out, but it made for a more chill environment. I've heard stories of how horrible it is and it's a dump etc. I'm 24 and my friend is almost 30. We're not "college kids". We're adults. I thought it was fine. The staff are also total professionals. You may not realize it when you're 18, but we were amazed at how good they were at making it an enjoyable experience for guests

Kismet Dao Hostel

Brasov, Romania

A little away from downtown. Great homey vibe. The beds are on a different floor than the common area so very quiet. When I was there it was more of a "come here to sleep" vs. travelers mingling but it's definitely set up for interaction. Brasov is a cool city.

X Hostel Bucharest

Bucharest, Romania

Went in the winter so a different vibe but not one of my favorites. The staff was cliquey and seemed more interested in each other than the guests (volunteer staff). Ideal location though. Might be different with more travelers.

Jetpak Alternative

Berlin, Germany

Very good environment. Kicks people out so they can enjoy the city. Definitely feels like a hostel with people gathering in the common area and bonding. 10 minute walk to the metro though.

PLUS Berlin

Berlin, Germany

Feels more like a hotel than a hostel. Has a bar so able to meet other travelers but it's huge. Amazing beds super comfy and great staff. Easy to get to Kreuzberg and near public transit.

Copenhagen Downtown Hostel

Copenhagen, Denmark

Great hostel. Does free dinners which encourages people to get there early and co-mingle. Awesome and not super expensive bar. A great hostel for a single traveler. Ideal location.

Great hostel. One of the best I've been in. It really creates a family atmosphere unlike any I've ever seen. Events everynight at the terrace. Great for meeting people.

Youth Hostel Anna

Santorini, Greece

Good sociable hostel. It's basically 4 dorm rooms all connected by a porch... so it's great for meeting people but bad if you go to bed early since everyone hangs out on the porch. It's not by the towns but right next to a great beach.

Ios, Greece

Absolutely amazing location. Right in the heart of everything. Good vibe. When you're stumbling back drunk at 8 Am you don't want to go anywhere else.

This hostel is a pale shale of what it apparently used to be and you can tell. While you'll have a good time it just seems a bit off. Like it's trying too hard to keep it's glory days while also transitioning into a more family friendly place. That being said the facilities are nice, free dinner is by far the best food I've had in a hostel, staff was pretty hit or miss some were cool some seemed completely useless. I ran into a bunch on another island since they all quit due to working condition

Old Town Hostel East Wing

Kotor, Montenegro

Great hostel. Good location, very homey. They try to do a nightlife even though it's Kotor. Absolutely no complaints.

Villa Divine

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Easily the nicest hostel I stayed in on my Balkan trip. Amazing view of the water and right near the major beaches. It is quite a busride to Old Town but the hostel is close to the bus stop. A bit pricey but it is Dubrovnik so to be expected. Staff is super attentive more like a fancy hotel than a hostel.

Hostel Nina

Mostar, Bosnia And Herzegovina

Great hostel. The war tour was super informative. The hostel is in a very nice house in Mostar. The owner, Zika, also oowners a bar in town where hostel guests get one euro drinks and his mother in law made us homemade Bosnian food.

Hostel City Center Sarajevo

Sarajevo, Bosnia And Herzegovina

Good hostel. Nice large common area. Centrally located in the center of town. Only stayed one night but it's just a totally solid well run hostel.

Madness Hostel

Belgrade, Serbia

Super cozy hostel. It's literally someone's apartment. The owner is really cool and funny and occasionally makes food that he shares with you. The locks and shower have a little wear and tear but nothing too bad and the homely feel of the place more than makes up for it. Also free laundry and they dry it for you. Really like staying in a friend's apartment the owner added me on facebook afterwards to keep in touch.

Hostel Mostel Veliko Tarnovo

Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria

Great place. Do the UFO tour one of the best I've ever done and lasts up to 12 hours if you're group is interested. Very beautiful hostel in a scenic city.

X Hostel Varna

Varna, Bulgaria

This hostel definitely caters to a certain kind of person... although if you're looking here you're probably that kind of person. The owner, Chris, has one priority in mind... making sure everyone has a good time. It did not feel like a business but rather visiting a good friend's beach house. I was there early (season doesn't start till July) but not everything listed was there. That said you're next to Golden Sands. If you're looking for a chill place to party on the Black Sea this is it.

Thanks buddy boy! Good luck on your trip and always remember the 2nd rule :)

Bahaus Hostel

Istanbul, Turkey

Absolutely amazing hostel. Rooftop bar gives you a great view of the city and there's always people there. You're maybe a 2 minute walk from all the sights in the historic district. Barry is super knowledgeable and knows everyone and everything. Take advantage of him. Within a couple days you really feel like family here... people who had been just a few days were working behind the bar, you befriend all the staff, etc. Amazing location and awesome vibe..

M Montreal

Montreal, Canada

Spent 2 nights here. Great atmosphere. When I got there there was a beer pong tournament that the hostel had organized just finishing up. The downstairs bar scene was crowded both nights and a great environment to meet people. The staff was helpful in having me plan my day in Montreal. Bed was pretty comfy. There's parking in the back I think it was a little over $20 for 2 nights. Overall a great visit.