El Viajero Cartagena Hostel, Cartagena, Colombia
5.7
19th Apr 2013

To start off with I should say that El Viagero isn't my type of hostel - it's more of a party hostel, and I prefer somewhere nice and quiet to relax. It's well situated and in a nice area, and their breakfast is pretty good with fresh fruit, cereal and toast. I found the staff incredibly cold and uninterested though, and the place very noisy. Bathrooms and showers weren't very clean by the time I got to them. No common area, so people party outside the dorms, and wifi is terrible!

The Pelican Larry Hostel, Cali, Colombia
12th Apr 2013

I liked Pelikan Larry so much, I went back again - first time I've done that. I think the AWESOME day staff contribute a lot to the great atmosphere of the place. The girls at the front desk and the cleaning staff and just awesome people, and Beatriz the salsa instructor is a sweetheart. Beds are super comfy, and bathrooms and lovely and clean. Best shower I've had in ages! Like the long table in the communal area - great for meeting other guests. Kitchen good enough.

8.0
1st Apr 2013

Che Lagarto Miraflores has a really great atmosphere, and is in an ideal location. The breakfast is one of the better ones I've seen at a hostel, and the beds were comfortable enough. The hostel lets itself down with the state of its bathrooms - they could all use a good scrub with bleach. Was also disappointed that the '8-bed dorm with ensuite' I booked was open onto another 12-bed dorm that shared the bathroom - felt that was a bit deceptive.

5.7
17th Mar 2013

My review is based on a very brief stay. It certainly wasn't terrible, but if you're looking for a more lively, central experience, you may be happier somewhere else. I arrived early in the evening, and had to walk up a dirt road, in an almost industrial-looking area, further outside town than many of the other hostels. I knocked for quite a while before anyone answered. I was the only guest, so zero atmosphere. Rooms and bathrooms were clean, and I had a good night's sleep. Decent breakfast.

Pirwa San Blas Hostel, Cusco, Peru
13th Mar 2013

This hostel is a great pick if you're looking for somewhere quiet to relax and recharge. The area is lovely and Bohemian, and close enough to the central Plaza. I was slightly annoyed at having my room moved 3 times, but at the end of the day the place is great value for money, clean and peaceful.