Location: Australia, Gender: Female, Age: 35

Flying Pig Uptown

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Rooms were very hot with no fan! My man and I booked a 'twin' room (when we couldn't get a double) and were told it would change into a double bed. Upon arrival, we in fact had a room with a bunk-bed which changes into a 'double' bed. WHAT A JOKE! The mattresses were so ill-fitting for the bed once changed that we kept falling off the sides, not to mention having a ladder in the middle of our 'double bed'. I didn't have this problem at the Downtown Flying Pig previously so was very disappointed!

• 20th Jul 2013
  • Globetrotter

Great hostel, very clean, reception staff nice and helpful. Cleaning staff are a little too noisy in the morning at 7am, sometimes playing loud music on the radio (I did not enjoy this). Depending on what you are doing in Durban there may be safer location to stay but I would stay here again.

• 11th Jul 2013

The Drunken Monkey Hostel

Zadar, Croatia

I had hoped for more when booking this hostel. The bathrooms weren't suited for this many people and the showers were blocked all the time. Nowhere to sit and hang out except the very small bar area. Nothing special about this place except the guys who run it.

• 18th Jul 2011

Surf City Hostel

Los Angeles, USA

This hostel is certainly rough around the edges but if you're looking for somewhere away from the touristy spots where you'll meet other travellers then Surf City is okay. The rooms and bathrooms are very bare, if not too basic (a mirror in the bedrooms would be helpful for women travellers!) so don't expect much, and there is a lot of noise from the bars downstairs so pack ear plugs!!!

• 29th Jul 2010

American Dream Hostel

New York, USA

This is a great hostel! It's very clean and very nice and I would definitely stay here again. Certainly walking distance to many of the sights and places to go, although still has perfect transport links on the doorstep for when you are tired of walking. Lou and the staff are fantastic and very helpful, and make you feel right at home. Yes... the beds are squeaky and there is sometimes traffic noise... but anyone used to hostels would pack a pair of earplugs in case. Highly recommend it! :)

Green Tortoise Backpackers

San Francisco, USA

Overall a great hostel.. a little rough around the edges, but the staff were very helpful and the location is pretty good. The free dinner three nights per week is great! Awesome common room to hang out in and meet people but definitely NOT a fan of the beer olympics! If you intended on having drinks in that night it is not really possible for all of the drunken noise. The noise at this hostel can be all night long as the common room never closes which can be annoying, so pack your earplugs!

• 25th Jul 2010

Castle Hostel

Tralee, Ireland

This hostel is a nice homey place to stay. It's very cold in the bedrooms which is a shame if you want to chill and do some reading (but the free tea and coffee helps) and there's some creaky olf floors, but it's a nice place to stay all the same.

Globetrotters/The Townhouse

Dublin, Ireland

Really enjoyed my stay here. The loft dorm is very homey and comfortable and ideal for groups of girls. Most of the staff were very nice and helpful. Only a very short work from airport bus and right in centre of town. Certainly reccommend it!

I would stay here again, however, there were 'problems' with my booking which staff never discussed with me, only amongst themselves, and instead just cancelled my booking early while I was still clearly in my room! Very annoying! I also think the showers and toilets need a GOOD scrub more often and the water pressure needs to be looked at in the showers! Overall, good hostel but definitely room for improvement!

Would come back again.

• 18th Dec 2009

HOTELO

Lyon, France

This was a lovely hotel although the double rooms were tiny and seemed more like a single. The location is great. Note: Contact the hotel in advance and ask which exit to the street to take out of Perache station as it is confusing!

Funny Palace Hostel

Rome, Italy

Funny Palace is a great place to stay! I highly reccommend it! It doesn't have anywhere to hang out and meet people which is a shame, but the guys are really nice and the free internet is awesome too!

Dahab Dorms

Dahab, Egypt

Dahab Dorms staff were ALL lovely and very helpful! I cannot praise them enough for their hard work. There are a few small improvements which can be made to make it even better and more secure, and I hope they will take suggestions on board and provide an even more exceptional place for us travellers in 2010. I will definitely come back my third time in Dahab and reccommend Red Sea Relax to others. Thanks Guys! :)

Students & Travellers Inn

Athens, Greece

Great location

• 13th Jul 2006

Hostal Go Aparts

Barcelona, Spain

I was meant to receive a 30euro key deposit back from this place but never did.

• 17th May 2005

Clink261

Stayed at this hostel for a short while when I first arrived in London. The staff were great, the location was prime and I have MANY amazing memories of the great people I met here! Always so many different nationalities becoming the best of friends. It's certainly nothing fancy but it was certainly a great experience I'll never forget.

• 18th Oct 2004

Clink261

Bathrooms need an upgrade but would def come back!

• 10th Oct 2004

Clink261

Great hostel. Many happy memories of the many travellers who pass through this place!

• 6th Oct 2004

Clink261

Bathrooms need to be renovated but would definitely stay here again!

• 3rd Oct 2004

Albergue Internacional Colon

Barcelona, Spain

I did not stay more than the two neccesary nights required at this hostel. There were not even locks on the dorm doors, the showers were blocked and not clean, there was absolutely no atmosphere at all which is hell for lone travellers and I could not even find the hostel upon arrival in Barcelona because there isn´t even an Albergue sign outside, only ¨pension youth hostel¨. This is also hell for a backpacker searching a city for their hostel in the heat! I know it sounds like I´m beinh harsh but i´m not.

Antares Hostel

Nice, France

More like a hotel than a hostel... surely there are more fun places to stay. Nowhere to hang out after midnight which was a HUGE shame!

• 12th Aug 2004

Cinque Terre Holidays

Cinque Terre, Italy

If you book through this company, you basically just get thrown into random apartments. The first one I was getting put into was disgusting to the point I had to go and bunk in with friends until they left, at which time I was put into another apartment which was really dirty and messy from the current occupants. I don't even think the bed was changed! Avoid this place but definitely come to the Cinque Terre!

• 5th Aug 2004