Reviews: mindyvr

Location: USA, Gender: Female, Age: 28

Hostel One Paralelo

Barcelona, Spain

LOVE hostel one paralelo! The vibe is just unbeatable. Everyone is friendly and open to talking and hanging out, and the tip-based family style dinners every night help facilitate that. Even as a single traveler I immediately felt at home. The staff is also incredibly helpful and friendly and will make sure you have the time of your life. Shoutouts to Mauro and Natasha! They also take people out every night to bars and clubs and I had a total blast. Wifi was fast and worked great, good bfast.

PLUS Florence

Florence, Italy

If you are traveling with others, then PLUS is for you! The pool area and restaurant are great. However, I don't think they should be calling themselves a hostel. It's basically a hotel with dorms. for me, the hostel vibe was totally missing. There's no common room, no kitchen (can't bring in your own food) no planned activities for people to meet each other, and most of the people there are traveling in huge packs with Busabout or Topdeck and only keep to themselves. Staff was helpful though :)

EastSeven Berlin Hostel

Berlin, Germany

EastSeven was great! Nice spacious dorms that were really clean, a small but functional kitchen, a cute outdoor area, and I especially liked the computer with spotify so you could listen to any music you wanted! A great place for single travelers because it's so easy to meet people. The only thing I felt could use improvement was the demeanor of the staff, which was hit or miss depending on who was working. Some of them seemed cranky to me, like I was bothering them. However, I'd def stay again!

NapPark Hostel at Khao San

Bangkok, Thailand

Super happy with my stay here. Love the privacy curtains in the dorms and how clean everything was. Just two streets over from Khaosan but you're still able to get a good nights rest. Internet was blazing fast too.

The Siem Reap Hostel

Siem Reap, Cambodia

This is the best hostel ever! All kinds of amenities which backpackers usually only dream about. Clean, spacious rooms, your own light and power outlet, a pool table, a cinema with three movies daily, a full bar and restaurant, hang out spots, a POOL....what more could you ever want? I only wish I could take this place around with me wherever I go! A small mixup with pickup from the airport, but it was promptly solved by the friendly manager. Can't wait to come back!

Kounsavan Guest House

Luang Prabang, Laos

Just okay. The dorm rooms are very stark and not especially welcoming. Not much of a hang out area either. But the free breakfast was great, and so were the staff.

Kounsavan Guest House

Luang Prabang, Laos

Just an okay stay. The dorms are small and cramped and are dark. The wifi is unreliable during the morning and afternoon when everyone is trying to get on at once. The hot showers, however, are great! The staff is also very helpful and they have a free breakfast that is quite tasty. If you're not intending to spend much time in the room, then this would probably be a great choice for you. However, since it was raining we were stuck inside, and it wasn't super pleasant.

Aoi Garden Home

Chiang Mai, Thailand

I enjoyed my time at Aoi garden home. The keys broke in the lock a few times, and the shower wasn't really warm, but the staff are absolutely top notch and will help you with anything. Nice place to chill out.

Chill Out House

Koh Lanta, Thailand

I loved my stay at chill out house! They make you feel very welcome and Marilyn the owner is a wealth of knowledge. Two minute stroll over to the beach, lots of great massage places and food. The whole vibe is relaxed and I could see why people stay for a long time. The only thing I wasn't too thrilled about were the non flushing toilets, but when you're on a remote island that's what you get, I guess. The spirit and joy of the place totally outweighs any small disappointments. Highly recommend!

FIN Hostel Phuket Kata Beach

Phuket, Thailand

Well located, clean, and great decor. Fast wifi! Just seemed that often the toilet paper would run out in the bathrooms, and make sure you bring ear plugs since the party will continue on outside, often until 6 am! Huge collection of movies as well which I liked.

Travellers Oasis

Cairns, Australia

This is a great hostel! Helen at reception is a total sweetheart. Lots of bathrooms and little kitchens to make food. Nearby everything you could wantbut still far enough to be quiet when you want sleep. I just wish I could've stayed longer!

Nimbin Rox YHA Resort

Nimbin, Australia

I loved my stay at the Nimbin Rox! Would've loved to stay longer and lounge in the hammocks under the big tree forever. A brisk 15 minute walk gets you into town. Make sure you plan ahead re: munchies or food because everything in town has weird hours or closes early. Otherwise, just kick back and relax! I'll be back :-)

Byron Beach Resort

Byron Bay, Australia

The staff rocks and it's right next to he beach which is great! The wifi is slow even though you have to pay for it :-( all the hammocks around are lovely for lounging. Wish there were bigger lockers in the dorms, you couldn't fit much in them and due to this everyone's stuff was everywhere. They didn't clean every day, meaning sand was all over the floor. The private rooms look awesome though; I'd book one of those next time.

Brisbane City YHA

Brisbane, Australia

Great facilities! Love the rooftop pool, movie room, and the huge kitchen. I just wish the bathrooms were cleaned more often since they were quite dirty. There were also some people at reception who did not seem the least bit interested in being helpful. Would also be helpful to let guests control the television; having to go down two floors to reception every time you wanted to adjust anything was quite irritating. Other than that, this is a great hostel!

United Backpackers

Melbourne, Australia

Nice brand new hostel. But they seem to have opened up too soon; the bar isn't finished and has no atmosphere to speak of. You can't bring in any alcohol whatsoever. Their guest policy is also ridiculous. You can't have any friends anywhere in the hostel, not even in the bar. Wifi was fast and the location was awesome. It's just a shame that there's too many strict rules. Almost perfect, but not quite. Maybe I would stay again once the place is actually finished and they've chilled out a bit.

Oh no! I think we had a miscommunication! You can most definitely bring your friends into the bar, in fact we actively encourage it - the more the merrier! With almost 300 people here you can imagine why we don't let friends upstairs though! We think we have chilled outa bit now - you'll need to come back and try us... Happy Travels Jess Operations Manager

Blue Parrot Backpackers

Sydney, Australia

I loved my stay at the blue parrot! It feels like home, and has a nice atmosphere. No frills, but they have everything you need. Wifi is slow but free so I can't complain too much. All the stores and shops you need are right there. Thanks blue parrot!

USA Hostels Hollywood

Los Angeles, USA

The location simply cannot be beat. It's just off of Hollywood Blvd. I also loved the privacy pods with the little light, shelf, and outlets. The upstairs hangout room was underutilized; not sure why. The free breakfast was great! Make sure you sign up early for the shuttle to Venice Beach, I had to take a different shuttle which wasn't free but still a pretty good deal. I saw the people who worked at the hostel constantly cleaning the place which was nice. I'd stay here again!

The Backpack

Cape Town, South Africa

I loved my stay at the Backpack! The beds were comfortable in the dorm and I slept soundly. The staff, especially Paul and Lisa were fantastic. They made me feel at home and they were always happy to chat with me and give me advice. Only a couple of suggestions: some of the lockers in the dorm were broken and didnt close properly. And with such a big hostel a lot of the bathrooms were always occupied! I was only able to find three but there must be more somewhere else? Thanks guys, I'll be back!

The Hippo Backpackers

Port Elizabeth, South Africa

Great location right by all the Stanley st restaurants, however this hostel is in need of an update. It looks worn out and tired and like its best days are behind it. There's not really any atmosphere to speak of, but a fine place to sleep.

Tekweni Backpackers Hostel

Durban, South Africa

A bit grimy and dirty (saw cockroaches on the stairs and under the bed in the big dorm, but only on my first night). However, tekweni has a great vibe overall and the staff was helpful. Great location. Internet was a little spotty but at least it was free!

Thanks for the great review. We do have a pest control company service us monthly but we will check out those spots. Glad you enjoyed the Tek's thing!

Mbizi Backpackers Lodge

Johannesburg, South Africa

Very chill hostel. Not pretentious and feels like home. It is quite small but I didn't mind that. My flight arrived early and Patrick sent someone to come get me right away. He also arranged for an excellent tour of Soweto and the apartheid museum with Jabu. Highly recommended! Grocery store is a 15 minute walk. Beds were comfy and wifi available. What else do you need? Thanks for the good times, Pat!

Cocomama

Amsterdam, Netherlands

I absolutely loved staying at Cocomama! From the minute I got there the ladies who worked at the hostel made me feel welcome. The vibe was super chill and even though I was traveling alone I was able to meet all kinds of fun people to hang out with. The hostel was impeccably clean and the beds were INSANELY comfortable. Add an adorable hostel cat to the mix, and I'm worried that Cocomama has spoiled me for all future hostel visits! Will definitely be staying here again the next time I'm in town!