The Cambridge Hotel & Backpackers

Wellington, New Zealand

YHA Auckland International

Auckland, New Zealand

Close and clean and really quiet which can be good or bad depending on if you want to sleep or socialize. As a lone traveler I found the lounge being downstairs to be mostly empty and the kitchen with the air of a library.

The Pickled Frog

Hobart, Australia

Cool place to just hang out and/or meet people. It's within easy walking distance of the town center and less than a block from the airport shuttle. The few downsides come with the well-deserved popularity. I would definitely stay here again.

River City Inn

Singapore, Singapore

I was iffy about a 26-bed dorm but it was surprisingly quiet and as mentioned by other reviewers: the staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. The location between the Clarke Quay and Raffle's Place is perfect. The only downside of this place is it fills up so make sure you reserve ahead: I saw a few people turned away. Also: choose this hostel to relax, not to party, and you won't be disappointed.

Anjali Inn

Mumbai, India

Average hostel but I had a private room so I'm reviewing it more from the standpoint of a hotel. Pro's: strong wifi, super-friendly / helpful staff, and television had quite a few channels in English including movies which I took advantage of. The location is good for the international airport but bad for the trains (E/W line not yet built) but there's a bus stop very close. Cons: no windows, a bit dirty + smashed a few roaches, far from most destinations, Andheri cabbies often ignore meters.