Reviews: mghelman

Location: Canada, Gender: Female, Age: 24

Insa Hostel Insadong

Seoul, South Korea

Located in the heart of Insadong, a trendy/artsy area in Seoul. The hostel is within walking distance of two major palaces (Gyeongbok/Changdeok). The hostel also offered discounts for guests wanting to watch the Nanta show (40000 -> 32000 won). Very secure and safe. Laundry machines and breakfast are included in the price (eggs, toast, tea/coffee/juice, jam). TIP: Print a map before coming here as it was a little tricky the first time.

Homeikan

Tokyo, Japan

Although this very likely was a reputable inn at one point, it seems that it has seen better days. This traditional ryokan is somewhat dusty, smelled of mold, and definitely didn't seem the cleanest. It was way overpriced, in my opinion. Potential guests should know that showers are communal. Overall, a good experience (for the traditional aspect of things including communal showers, tatami mats, yukata robes, matcha tea, etc.), but I wouldn't stay here again because of location and high cost.

Sakura Hostel Asakusa

Tokyo, Japan

A well run corporate hostel. It is very close to Sensoji temple and is a 10 min walk to Asakusa Station. Excellent wifi connection and even better water pressure in the showers. It would have been nice to have hooks or hangers in the rooms for clothes/towels. Hallways from washrooms to rooms were freezing after a shower (I stayed there in the winter). About $3.50 for a measly breakfast (toast, tea/coffee, prison soup). I found some hairs in my bedding, but overall my stay was comfortable/safe.

Seoul I Guesthouse

Seoul, South Korea

I wanted to stay close to the airport as I had an early flight the next day and this hostel's location is right next to a subway station. It's about a 5 minute walk to the subway station and 45 minutes by train to Incheon International Airport. Very clean and comfortable room. The rooms are well secured as guests need a passcode to enter the hostel and each room is locked.

Arthouse Airport

Jeju Island, South Korea

Perfect hostel if you want to stay close to the airport for an early morning flight. About 5 minutes and $3 to the airport by taxi. I stayed here in the winter and my room was very well heated. My only complaint is that the water in the washroom sink was freezing ice cold and painful to wash up in! Other than that, the receptionist was very friendly and let me in past the usual check-in time.

Come Inn Guesthouse

Seoul, South Korea

Located in party central Hongdae. If you want to party, stay out late, meet new people - excellent place. If you want a full night's worth of uninterrupted sleep - not for you. Sensitive to noise? Bring earplugs for late returners and street music. The hostel is cost-friendly. Washrooms and the bedroom had a musty smell. Breakfast is included, but simple and not unlimited. No milk for coffee. My biggest complaint: There was no lock on the dorm room, though there are small small lockers inside.

Guest House Bola-Bola

Kyoto, Japan

Sleeping mats and blankets provided for sleeping on the tatami floor. Rotating fan and air conditioner set at 25 C. Kyoto was very hot/humid so it would have been nice to lower the temperature. The hostel owner was kind enough to say that construction was happening nearby during our stay, but failed to mention the proximity to a railroad - in the backyard of the hostel. Light sleepers beware! Best part of staying here: Bike rentals are ¥500 for the day ($5) - great for riding out to Arashiyama!

I stayed in a room with two bunk beds (so four beds). The room was quite small, but privacy was never an issue. Super comfortable and sturdy beds, air conditioning and a rotating fan make for a nice stay even in hot and humid weather. Although the room is small, there is enough space for carry-on suitcases and large backpacks under the beds and at the foot of the top bunk. Good location and less than ten minutes by bus to the lovely and tourist-friendly Gion district and Yasaka temple.

HI-Montréal

Montreal, Canada

HI-Montreal was very clean and in a pretty good location - close to enough downtown. Not exactly walking distance to clubs (especially if you're in heels!!), so I'd recommend taking a taxi. The hostel was great overall, except for the fact that my friend and I were charged a "booking fee" apparently from Hostelworld (said the receptionist) when we thought the payment was a deposit payable towards our stay. Be sure to read the fine print on this one!!

Bonjour and thank you for leaving your feedback! Great to know that you had a good time with us. Regarding the clubs and bars, maybe we should have pointed to the ones that are nearby since we are located just 2 blocks from some of the best spots for nightlife in Montréal... Next time I suppose! ;) Bon Voyage, Nicolas, hostel manager

HQ Villa

Lima, Peru

Located in Miraflores, HQ Villa hostel is about a 15-20 minute walk to the heart of the district and 20-30 minute walk to the coast and stony beach. Unfortunately, we did not think that this hostel reached its full potential. Excellent atmosphere and very spacious rooms, however the staff were very impersonal in comparison to staff of other hostels we stayed in. Cleanliness of the bathrooms and kitchen especially needs improvement.

Banana's Adventure

Huacachina, Peru

You can literally walk the perimeter of Huacachina in 15 minutes and so Banana's is pretty much in the middle of it all - including endless desert dunes. The chocolate covered banana crepe is highly recommended for breakfast though the food at the breakfast bar is quite expensive, in my opinion. The pool is a nice added touch - great for soaking up some sun. Sandboarding and dune-buggying (both of which are available at the hostel) are an ABSOLUTE MUST. No experience required, just a brave heart

Unfortunately our least favourite hostel in Peru. Rooms were quite shabby with saggy beds and a musty smell. The atmosphere and cleanliness definitely need improvement. The receptionists were too often missing for our liking. Location, on the brighter side, was quite okay as it is a walkable distance from Jiron Lima - touristy street full of shopping, restaurants and tour companies.

Pariwana Hostel Cusco

Cusco, Peru

We stayed in six different hostels in various cities in Peru and Pariwana Hostel was most definitely our favourite. We felt very safe as there is a receptionist available 24/7, security in the evening hours, and a locked storage room for our extra belongings while on the Inca Trail. Perfect location for city sight-seeing, restaurants, shopping, and nightclubs. Very friendly and helpful staff. Excellent and cheerful atmosphere! Lots of pre-organized activities for everyone to enjoy.