Location: USA, Gender: Female, Age: 26

Hostel Pangea

San Jose, Costa Rica

Very good security at the front gate- have to show wristband to get in. However, no lockers in the rooms- have to put a $5 deposit to rent a tiny locker/lock near the front if u want to lock up ur valuables. Staff was extremely friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. Although there is a common area, it isn't particularly inviting or habitable (small, no tables, not a lot of seating) so the place wasn't great for meeting new people while traveling alone. Airport shuttle is great, cheap, & reliable.

Hostel Villa Vento Surf

Panama City, Panama

I really enjoyed this hostel- the staff provides a sense of community by hosting group activities like movie night etc., but somehow it doesn't have a cliquey or overly party-atmosphere. It is just a very friendly and homely kind of place that makes everybody feel welcome. I will mention that one of my things disappeared while I was here and I'm not entirely sure that it wasn't one of the staff who took it, but that is the risk that we run at hostels when we leave our things out and about.

El Viajero Cartagena Hostel

Cartagena, Colombia

This place was fine, it was just too expensive for a private room- other hostels in the area have similar or better amenities at half the price. Breakfast was mediocre (bread & cereal).

• 1st Jun 2013

Kohsamui Hotel De Mar

Cartagena, Colombia

This was the most horrible hostel experience I could have ever imagined. After taking a $20 taxi ride outside the city to get there, they informed us that the rates they listed on Hostelworld were incorrect and proceeded to quote me prices 5x higher ($125/night) than what I had already paid the deposit for. They refused to give me deposit money back and we had to pay another $20 to take taxi back and search for different hostel within our price range towards city center. Awful people & place.

Casa Blanca Hostel

Cali, Colombia

This was a great family-run hostel, very nice facilities with AC in the 4-person private room... A nice full kitchen where they provide purified water for you. Solid wifi and computers to use in the common area. A $4 cab ride from all the best night clubs on Ave 6A. This is the only place I would ever stay in, I liked it so much (& I saw some of the other hostels advertised on this site & realized that this one was so much better!) and I would 100% recommend this place to anybody going to Cali!

Hostel Lao

Mendoza, Argentina

Really enjoyed my stay at Hostel Lao- the breakfast was quite nice and the rooms were very homey (not huge dorms with a thousand people but much smaller). Good security, good location, really no complaints here.

• 19th Apr 2013

Buenos Aires V&S Hostel Club

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Very few complaints about this hotel- just that they close the reception at night so you can't hang out in the common areas or ask for anything because nobody's there, so that is kind of weird. Also, the rooms are kinda stanky but not terribly so. Excellent security.

• 18th Apr 2013

Buenos Aires V&S Hostel Club

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Unreliable wifi, shouldn't be advertised as having wifi if it isn't going to be reliable, plus you have to pay for the computers provided by the hostel. Didn't like that reception closes at night because it means that you can't use anything- computers, TV, kitchen, or enter/exit easily, or contact reception if there is a problem. Need to take the "out of order" sign off the elevator, since it does in fact work. Breakfast should last til noon. Clock needs to be accurate.

• 15th Apr 2013

Iguazu Falls Hostel

Puerto Iguazu, Argentina

Had no problems with this hostel. We went there not knowing or understanding anything about how to "do" Iguazu Falls. The staff was incredibly helpful and the location is fantastic, just a block away from the terminal.